Premier League Team Of The Season

• Thread starter Thread starter FramedAdam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3K

FramedAdam

Reaction score
With 5 games left of the current Premier League season, I wanted to see who everyone would chose to be in their personal team of the season. Based on the performances of some of the teams in the league this season, I would have to say that some clubs have achieved way more than would have been expected of them at the start of the season (ie, Newcastle).

So my team of the season would be:

Goalkeeper: Joe Hart - In my opinon, this position could have gone to only 2 players, Tim Krul or Joe Hart. I chose Hart as when he is in good form, he is a fantastic keeper. He has been one of Manchester City's key players this season, and is one of the main reasons that City have only conceded 26 League goals so far.

Right Back: Micah Richards - Micah has been, by far, the best right back in the league this season. Playing alongside Kompany and Lescott has allowed him to show his defensive qualities more than previous seasons. Personally, I would be surprised if he was left out of Englands European Championship squad, as he would be a key figure in the defence.

Centre Backs: Vincent Kompany & Jonny Evans - This may come as a surprise to some people as they will have different opinions on who should play in this position. I chose Kompany as he is Man City's best player when he wants to be. Also, he has helped the club become title challengers this season, and scored a few important goals for them. I chose Evans as he has been a stand-out figure for me in Man United's back 4. With Vidic being injured for most of the season, Evans has took a pivotal role in the defence, and made some game saving challenges, which have kept Man United within touching distance of their 20th League title.

Left Back: Leighton Baines - For me, Baines has been the most consistent left back in the Premier League. I would even go as far as saying he has been Evertons best player of the season. He has scored, and set up, some important goals for Everton this season, and once again, Everton are challenging for a place in the Europa League.

Right Wing: Antonio Valencia - Valencia has been a key figure in the Manchester United midfield this season, and although he had a spell out of the squad through injury, he came back a better player. And being as fast as he is, he has helped United get to the current league position they are in.

Centre Midfielders: Yaya Toure & Paul Scholes - Another City/United pairing in this squad as Yaya Toure and Paul Scholes play alongside eachother in the midfield. Toure was an obvious pick for me as he has influenced the Manchester City squad in numerous ways, and become one of the best midfielders in the Premier League. Paul Scholes was another obvious choice for me, as he has proven that he can still 'provide the goods' when he is called upon. Since his return to action in January, Manchester United were undefeated in the games that Scholes started. There has also been speculation of Scholes being chosen as one of the midfielders in Stuart Pearce's England squad foe the Euros, and you have to admit, it wouldn't hurt for a player of Scholes' ability and experience to go to the Euros with his country.

Left Wing: Gareth Bale - Bale has been the best left midfielder by a long shot this season. The Welshman has gone from a kid with potential at Southampton, to a key figure at Spurs. His performances this season have helped Spurs to secure a European place for the second season running (Only a miracle would stop it from happening).

Strikers: Robin Van Persie & Papiss Cisse - Once again, this position could have gone to a number of players, but these two have really stood out for me this season. Van Persie has been a goal machine this season scoring 27 goals for Arsenal in the league. And with the standard of some of Arsenal's performances this season, you can see why some people are labelling Arsenal as a one-man team. Although Cisse has only been in the Premier League a few months, he has lived up to expectations after his move from Freiburg. Not many people knew of Cisse before his move to Newcastle, but scoring 10 goals in 9 games for Newcastle hasgiven further proof to the talent that Cisse has. Personally, I can't wait to see how he does next season, where he will be faced with a full season in England, with the possibility of European football being on offer aswell.

Manager: Brendan Rodgers - In my opinion, Brandan Rodgers HAS to be manager of the season. At the start of the season, Swansea were one of the teams I picked to be relegated, but performances from the likes of Dyer, Sinclair, Williams, Vorm, etc have proved me wrong. And the main reason for Swansea proving me wrong... Brandan Rodgers. He seems to have got the squad set to a perfect balance. Each player knows their duty within the squad, especially the attacking players, who will get back and defend if they need to. I'm not saying that other managers in the league haven't set their team up perfectly, but Rodgers' side are the team that have surprised me the most.

So there is my team of the season. I don't think there would be any changes in it from now until the end of the season. Feel free to leave your opinions on the team I picked, aswell as leaving your own personal team of the season.

Last edited:
Hart
Richards
Vermaelen
Kompany
Evra
Valencia
Arteta
Cabaye
Mata
RVP
Ba/Cisse

Manager- Paul Lambert

Gk- hart
RB- richards
CB- kompany
CB- collocini
LB- baines
RW- valencia
CM- yaya
CM- cabaye
LW- silva
ST- rvp
ST- ba

Manager- rodgers

Gk: Hart
rb: Richards
cb: Kompany
cb: Evans
lb: Evra
cm: Parker
cm: Scholes
rm: Valencia
lm: Bale
st: Rooney
st: Van Persie

Last edited:
Hart
Walker Kaboul Koscielny Baines
Valencia Y.Toure Song Bale
Silva
RVP​

Gk- De Gea
RB- Richards
CB- Kompany
CB- Evans
LB- Baines
RM- Valencia
CM- Sessegnon
CM- Y. Toure
LM- Bale
ST- Van Persie
ST- Cisse

GK: Michel Vorm
RB: Micah Richards
DL: Leighton Baines
DC: Vincent Kompany
DC: Fabrrico Colaccini
MC: Paul Scholes
MC: Ramires
AMR: David Silva
AML: Gareth Bale
AMC: Wayne Rooney
ST: RVP

SUBS: Szheznnnshhy (sp), Kaboul, Luiz, Ben Arfa, Juan Mata, Demba Ba, Grant Holt.

Gaffer: Paul Lambert.

Last edited:
Hart
Richards
Kompany
Vermaelen
Baines
Valencia
Toure
Cabaye
Silva
Rooney
Van Persie

Hart

Sagna Koscielny Kompany Baines

Silva Song Yaya Valencia

RvP Papis Cisse​

Manager: Rodgers

---------------Vorm--------------
Richards-Kompany-Colaccini-Baines
Silva------Cabaye-Parker--Dempsey
----------Rooney--RVP--------------

Manager: Paul Lambert- Possible top 10 finish in a season where they never once looked like getting relegated, on one of the smallest budgets, with one of the weakest squads. Top stuff.

Subs:

Tim Krul
Grant Holt
Stephan Sessegnon
Gareth Bale
Antonio Valencia
Paul Scholes
Ashley Williams

Vorm
Richards
Skrtel
Kompany
Baines
Valencia
Cabaye
Silva
Bale
RvP
Holt

Lambert

Vorm
Richards - Koscielny - Kompany - Baines
Song - Toure
Valencia ------------------ Silva
----------Rooney---------------
---------------
van Persie ------

Manager - Rodgers or Lambert​

Hart

Richards Evans Kompany Baines

Valencia Scholes Yaya Silva

Rooney RVP

Predominantly Manchester based team but given the performance of the two teams, these are the best choice I could think of.

I dont know how many are leaving Rooney, he is the second highest goal scorer and there is nothing between RVP and Rooney when it comes to mins per goal.

Hart
Sagna - Koscielny - Kompany - Baines
Song -Toure Silva------------------
Rooney- van Persie Aguero
--------------

Last edited:
David Moyes working wonders again at Everton. No money again and challenging for Europe.

Why on earth are people putting scholes in there? And also Agger or Skrtel should be in there imo?

Papiss Cisse can not be in tots after 10 games, if you are gonna put a Newcastle striker in, it has to be Ba and if you ask me bale shouldn't be in there either.

Scholes has had a large impact considering his age, it is hard to ignore Yaya Toure and Cabaye for their respective teams since the start of the season though.

Agree about Agger and Skrtel, I imagine they're all Liverpool fans and they are being picked as they are the best player in a otherwise poor side this season. Same with Bale, he had a good start to the season but has been very poor for a while now. Ineffective.

The difficult with these sort of threads is it turns almost into team of the week, as people have short memories. The only truly amazing "impact players" which have turned this season around, I'd have to say would be Valencia and/or Scholes. Cisse has been good, but Demba Ba was doing what he's doing earlier in the season and is equally worthy of a place.

Hart

Richards
Skrtel
Kompany
Baines

Valencia
Parker
Yaya Toure
Silva

RVP
Aguero

Back