Premiership Survival - Defensive Tactic?

ronbrady

Reaction score
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Possibly over-achieved by getting promoted to Premiership, with an Ipswich side that are decent for Championship. Used an attacking 4-1-4-1 team, only bought Damien Delaney 2.4m, Vuckic 1.2m,Bouzanis 0.425m and Salamon 1.3m. Had Volz, Fabio and Eckersley on loan (fee combined 750k), so no superstars or money to spend. I predicted play-off place for extra wage budget.
I've played a couple of pre-season friendlies against good teams and my lads are uselessI've tried Willsters v1 tactic recently, conceded less but created even less than before! I need to avoid relegation and find a formation and tactic to suit me at this higher level. My squad is:

GK:Bouzanis,Supple,Wright
DL: Delaney,Thatcher,Harding(wb),Richards(wb)
DC:Balkenstein,Bruce,Naylor
DR:McAuley,Wright,Orr(new signing)
MC:Campo,ShumulikoskiGarvan,Miller,Trotter,Norris, Salamon
M/AML:Quinn,Peters,Ainsley
M/AMR:Haynes,Walters
ST/F:Counago,Stead,Vuckic,Lisbie,Kadlec(new signing 375k)

I can't get the tight fisted board to release extra funds for better squad so have to do some magic with this bunch, whose morale has stayed super even though results are rubbish!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I assume I'll need a defensive system as I don't have the stikers to terrorize a decent Premiership defence, maybe a tight 4-2-3-1 or 5-3-2 system. Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Ronan<!-- / message -->

you could try the tactic i used with cultural leonesa in spanish div 2 b1. we were rated to scrape a mid table finish at best but i managed to get promotion!!!!

I played a lone striker with an AMC behind him making forward runs. then a standard 4 in mid (2 centre mids as defensives boshers) and standard back four. we didnt score many but conceded by far the least amount of goals in the division.

see the screen shots for more detailed tactics.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f61/updated-inspired-by-the-road-from-2nd-div-b1-to-t12098.html

Thanks for the tips boys, I'll see which suit my squad most and try it first. Would 10 games be enough to tell if its kicked in or not? If I still have a job by then that is!!!

Thanks for the tips boys, I'll see which suit my squad most and try it first. Would 10 games be enough to tell if its kicked in or not? If I still have a job by then that is!!!

if the tactic doesnt work then you should realise within 2 or 3 games as you are gettting hammered and the team gets poor ratings. however be prepared for 5,6,7 maybe even 10 games of the players settling in to the tactic, give them time to adjust and performances and results should improve.

No improvement in results using Sean's tactic and formation, more to do with an average squad I'd say. Haven't scored in last 5 games, lost 7 on the hop so time to try jdm's tactic. Think it'll be a long run in to avoid relegation!!!

its getting the balance between your players and tactics tbh.

Playing too defensive is going to put your team on the back foot and may put your defenders under immense pressure and may cause them to making costly mistakes, Or play too attacking and your going to crumble when your team are hit on a counter...

getting the balance spot on then your team would be class..but ill let you it figure out.

Only 1 win and 6 draws for the season, relegated obviously, how brutal is that???
Morale stayed high, Board love me, fans "pleased despite the result" all season, contract extension, players asking for transfer immeadiatley after last game and asking to be taken back off it in pre-season. Season 3, no real additions to squad except Stephen Ireland replacing Garvan. Will give them another season at least, unless I see a vacancy elsewhere. Gonna try Lee's Liverpool tactics, anyone think that will work for a Championship side?

I'm with you on this one ronbrady. I'm also using Ipswich and recently got promoted into the EPL. Brian Clough tactics 2010 tactic delivered the desired results in the Championship.... but I'm struggling in the EPL. 12 Games into the season, 2 wins, 2 draws and 8 losses. It's not looking good.