Qonny

Reaction score
I haven't gotten my hands on the beta of the game, nor will I. As time draws close to the game's full release though, my FM-mind gets into motion (as it usually does close to a new FM title).

Seeing how good pressing and good off-the-ball-movement is becoming more and more synonyme to how good teams perform in real life (Dortmund, Bayern, Barca under Guardiola, and most recently, Atletico Madrid, just to name a few), I'd like to know how this transforms into the new game.

I was thinking that the formation and player roles in the formation shouldn't be too depending on the players you posess, but rather of how you want the team performance as a whole to look, and the ability to work as a group. Therefore, the roles I'm suggesting now will sound very unfamiliar and perhaps a bit strange, but like the title suggests, It's just a theory I've been thinking about for some time now. Bare in mind that I've never had very much success in creating my own tactics, and have always relied very much on downloaded tactics from this website. This hasn't changed my urge to come up with new ideas though, and I find it interesting to try them out in the game, and see how they play out.

The never-ending strive to create the ultimate possession tactic in FM-titles is something that amazes me. No matter how much recent game engines have worked against the possibilities of having a successfull and yet beautiful style of possession playstyle, people have kept on trying. As I mentioned, I haven't gotten my hands on the beta, and nor will I. My first question is therefore as follows: How are the game mechanics and match engine treating possession-based playstyles this time around?

Now to my theory. Keeping possession is all about keeping the ball (duh!). When not having the ball, the first priority is to win the ball back. In doing so, the opposition is withdrawn the possibility to score against you, and you get to restart your previous build up play. Winning the ball back though, has been both clumsy and chaotic at times in previous FM-games. Players wouldn't press in groups, or would just passively run besides opponents. Getting certain player roles to collaberate in winning the ball back would often be hard, since their priorities would range from certain different objectives on the pitch.

What I am thinking, is that if you create a team consisting of roles very similar to each other, the team work would be much smoother. Since it's a game, giving different players different roles and assignements, might not work out the way you want it to, since you can't deliver that concrete game plan you want the players to recieve and understand.

What if (and it's really a "what if", since, like I said, this is just a theory from a crappy FM-player) you build a team consisting mainly of defensive roles? I am thinking a 4-1-4-1-formation, with a flat back four, one defensive midfielder, two central midfielders, two wingers (flat next to the CM's) and one striker. Put the DM as a defensive DM (role), the CM's to Ball Winning Midfielders, the wingers to Defensive Wingers, and the striker to Defensive Forward (I'm leaving the defensive line and the goalkeeper out of this for the moment, since I'm all aiming on creating a unified pressing force from the midfield as a first priority).

Wouldn't this create a team of exactly the same priorities? Winning the ball back the second it's lost, and then keeping it as a defensive precaution, while moving it up the field for obvious reasons? Wouldn't it make the players work more as a team? Just because the players have defensive roles, doesn't mean they are completly unable to act offensively. Putting offensive players in the roles shouldn'd be a problem, since it's the team-work I'm after. I'm not completly aware of all the game mechanics of all of the roles, but I know that some roles are not what they seem like judging by their names or descriptions. For example the BWM is not just a midfielder who focuses solely on winning the ball back. He is also a good passer and a creator, if that is what's required of him at a certain point.

Just imagine using this formation with these roles for a team like Bayern. If the theory would work, the team would press hard when not in possession, maintaining a certain shape and organisation. When in possession, the team would then get to make use of all the talented offensive players it possess', regardless of the roles they have been assigned to.

Just to clarify again: I'm not really a experienced tactic creator, nor have I had much success with my few tries and the sparse time I've given it. It usually ends with me getting dissappointed or ****** off at my failures, resulting in me downloading a successfull tactic from this website instead. I'm not a good creator, no. What I am though, is a kind of a dreamer and a philosophist (hah! Gay! ;)), which is the whole reason why I started this thread. If you, like I, love coming up with theories for philosophies and tactics for this game, but just can't get them to work, please share your thoughts. I don't mind this thread being a forum for discussion of other pressing/possession tactics as well.

It would be nice to hear what people might think of my little theory. Perhaps it has been tested and abolished a long time ago, perhaps not. Perhaps someone with a bit more understanding of the game mechanics will push me back into reality, telling me there is no way for this to work. All this is good! Just don't bash me completly, telling me I'm an idiot, or laughing at me. I prefer getting my criticism in a constructive manner!

If you have read my little wall of text, thank you, it's very much appreciated, and please, leave your thoughts.

Last edited:
As a Possession obssessed FM player I can tell you that in FM 2013 I tried almost every single idea...even this!
I tried to put also all the players mentality to defensive but the strategy of all team to control/attacking.
But I just couldn't get much success because they couldn't get goals or a lot of CCC's

My current tactic certainly has over 60% average possession, highest possession 75% with multiple 70%+ matches, numerous times had 3 players all with over 100 passes each in a match, I had 4 players with 100+ passes once or twice I think. I use high pressing but what i've noticed is that my players get very tired. I outshoot the opposition nearly every match but probably only average around 2 CCC's per match, but can still get as high as 28 shots to their 3 sometimes.

Whilst my tactic works in terms of possession, and having a high amount of it, and it also works in terms of having more shots than the opposition normally, and also it limits the opposition, the main problem is that it does not create enough chances for the striker. Currently trying to work out how to get the striker more chances instead of my midfielders always getting into positions to shoot. And also, I will need to find a way of making my players get less tired.

FYI my formation is:

------------De Gea----------
-----Smalling-Jones-Vidic-----

----Carrick-Fellaini-Cleverley---

Zaha------Januzaj-------Nani--
----------Van Persie-----------

Carrick and Cleverley are deep lying playmakers, Fellaini is ball winning midfielder. Zaha, Januzaj and Nani are all advanced playmakers, all are short passing and high pressing and are all set to switch positions.

I've been messing around a little in my current West Brom save.
Possession varies between 55-65%, obviously against the stronger teams I don't control the game as much as I'd want but still a decent amount. The real difference is I don't out shoot the other team all that much, often getting 14-15 shots a game but out of those 3-4 will be CCC and another 4-5 half chances on top of that. The other team may get 15-20 but rarely more than 2 CCC.
Last season Shane Long only averaged 3 shots a game but still finished top scorer with 27.

I avoid pressing too hard currently due to having a very young team and needing to rotate constantly to keep players fit if I do so, plus I find it leaves you open to some very easy chances for the other team. Kept the second best defence in the league up until Christmas.
Horrid run of games and injuries to Olsson and Mulumbu cost me top four :(

Current team and formation

----------------Horn-------------------
Trasch-Olsson-Dawson-Ridgewell

----------Yacob-----Mulumbu--------
Brunt---------Morrison----------Ince
------------------Long------------------

Throw in regens, Maupay and Halilovic when I can.

Every tactic is about coherence and balance. A tactic with only similar roles would be unbalanced because it's not about similar roles but complementarity. Also you keep focusing on tactics, but you forget almost always ppm's and if you want to play possession (or any other) like Barcelona you absolutely need to focus on ppm's. Done this with fm13 managing FC Porto (enhance as regen's would come to my team), doing this managing with fm14 with the same team and currently it's easier to have possession than it was with fm13 (some nice 65-70% every game and even a little more).
Invest in ppm's training, keep your team compact and fluid, instruct your players to just keep passing the ball and you will have lots of possession. No need for tweaking mentalities and so on, it's just ruining the tactic.

Last edited:
FYI my formation is:

------------De Gea----------
-----Smalling-Jones-Vidic-----

----Carrick-Fellaini-Cleverley---

Zaha------Januzaj-------Nani--
----------Van Persie-----------

Carrick and Cleverley are deep lying playmakers, Fellaini is ball winning midfielder. Zaha, Januzaj and Nani are all advanced playmakers, all are short passing and high pressing and are all set to switch positions.

While your tactic in itself looks interesting, I find the player roles on one hand and the players themselves on another to be very inappropriate for it. Let me elaborate, first of all, in order to play a successful short passing game, you need players who can pass and do it well. That means, a passing attribute of minimum 15, a creativity of minimum 10 and something that most people don' t take into consideration or actually don' t really know, decisions of minimum 14-15 (without taking in consideration supporting stats such as concentration, composure or agility). That being said, your only player good at this is Carrick. Vidic is atroucious when it comes to passing a ball, who btw, if you do want to use him in this system I suggest you place him in the middle of Smalling and Jones with a Limited Defender with Defend role. The other 2 defensive players are sort of alright. Cleverly is barely able to do the job and Fella, while he' s one of my favorite player on Manager isn' t all that good as a Ball Winning midfielder, after trial and testing him for more than 30 virtual years on several careers I' ve found his best position to be Box to Box Midfielder. As for the supportive trio under Van Persie, they' re all utter rubbish for this kind of tactic. Sorry to say it but even Januzaj who is the brightest of the lot cannot be expected to perform consistently good in this system. Make Carrick your Deep Lying Playmaker, Fella and Cleverly, Box to Box, Zaha and Nani, Wingers with Attack, Januzaj Traquerista and RvP, basically anything, I' d go for a Deep Lying Forward, myself and see what happens. I don' t mean to sound condescendent but I couldn' t help but reply as I am a United supporter myself and a manager player for many-a-years.

While your tactic in itself looks interesting, I find the player roles on one hand and the players themselves on another to be very inappropriate for it. Let me elaborate, first of all, in order to play a successful short passing game, you need players who can pass and do it well. That means, a passing attribute of minimum 15, a creativity of minimum 10 and something that most people don' t take into consideration or actually don' t really know, decisions of minimum 14-15 (without taking in consideration supporting stats such as concentration, composure or agility). That being said, your only player good at this is Carrick. Vidic is atroucious when it comes to passing a ball, who btw, if you do want to use him in this system I suggest you place him in the middle of Smalling and Jones with a Limited Defender with Defend role. The other 2 defensive players are sort of alright. Cleverly is barely able to do the job and Fella, while he' s one of my favorite player on Manager isn' t all that good as a Ball Winning midfielder, after trial and testing him for more than 30 virtual years on several careers I' ve found his best position to be Box to Box Midfielder. As for the supportive trio under Van Persie, they' re all utter rubbish for this kind of tactic. Sorry to say it but even Januzaj who is the brightest of the lot cannot be expected to perform consistently good in this system. Make Carrick your Deep Lying Playmaker, Fella and Cleverly, Box to Box, Zaha and Nani, Wingers with Attack, Januzaj Traquerista and RvP, basically anything, I' d go for a Deep Lying Forward, myself and see what happens. I don' t mean to sound condescendent but I couldn' t help but reply as I am a United supporter myself and a manager player for many-a-years.

I had season with no transfer budgets in first window so i've had to use these players for now, as Rooney is out for 6 months and for some reason Januzaj is playing much better than Kagawa. Januzaj is playing average rating of 7, but Zaha is performing very well indeed with a higher average rating, and for some reason Young does well but Nani or Valencia don't really.

Vidic is only there until I can buy a new center back, same with the 3 central midfielders, but it will take some time as I wont be able to buy all of these players in one window.

I will give your suggestions a try and see what happens, for now I am stuck with the players i've got but this does give me massive amount of possession so it isn't a complete failure. The only failure is trying to get my striker to have more chances and score more goals.

I had season with no transfer budgets in first window so i've had to use these players for now, as Rooney is out for 6 months and for some reason Januzaj is playing much better than Kagawa. Januzaj is playing average rating of 7, but Zaha is performing very well indeed with a higher average rating, and for some reason Young does well but Nani or Valencia don't really.

Vidic is only there until I can buy a new center back, same with the 3 central midfielders, but it will take some time as I wont be able to buy all of these players in one window.

I will give your suggestions a try and see what happens, for now I am stuck with the players i've got but this does give me massive amount of possession so it isn't a complete failure. The only failure is trying to get my striker to have more chances and score more goals.

From my own experience, I' ve come to realize that the trick with this game is to get your team to play well, no matter the system or the players you have at your disposal. Obviously, the better the players, the easier it is to do that. But if this setup actually works for you, then stick to it. That is something only you can get the feel of after actually playing games and getting results.

Don' t know how you' re doing in terms of league table but not having player such as Rooney (Evra and Rafael, I assume) at your disposal can really mess up your system. Kagawa is a very strange player, great decisions but poor concentration and passing skills. As for Nani, Young and Valencia, they' re all good as impact subs, especially the later as he has high Determination.

As I said, try giving Fella and Clevery Box to Box roles and that might just help out RvP with the scoring, as they should, at least in theory apply more pressure on opponents which in turn should translate in more chances. Best of luck, matey and enjoy this wonderful game.

Seems legit!

Every tactic is about coherence and balance. A tactic with only similar roles would be unbalanced because it's not about similar roles but complementarity. Also you keep focusing on tactics, but you forget almost always ppm's and if you want to play possession (or any other) like Barcelona you absolutely need to focus on ppm's. Done this with fm13 managing FC Porto (enhance as regen's would come to my team), doing this managing with fm14 with the same team and currently it's easier to have possession than it was with fm13 (some nice 65-70% every game and even a little more).
Invest in ppm's training, keep your team compact and fluid, instruct your players to just keep passing the ball and you will have lots of possession. No need for tweaking mentalities and so on, it's just ruining the tactic.

Miguel you seem to understand better the PPM than i do. Could you explain it to me how it works? You can do it in portuguese if you want.

[Tuga here!]

Miguel you seem to understand better the PPM than i do. Could you explain it to me how it works? You can do it in portuguese if you want.

[Tuga here!]

Ok, send me a pm with your questions or participate at cmpt forum (tactical section)