Probably a stupid question about team selection

TonyVilliers

Reaction score
Does it matter when in the week, ie how far in advance of matches, you make your team selection? In any way?

Obviously new players into the club need some team cohesion, but what if you want to run a side that is for a capital one cup game comprising a high number of youth players compared to your regular 1st choice selection?

If you do that selection earlier on relative to the match does it make a difference?

Does it matter when in the week, ie how far in advance of matches, you make your team selection? In any way?

Obviously new players into the club need some team cohesion, but what if you want to run a side that is for a capital one cup game comprising a high number of youth players compared to your regular 1st choice selection?

If you do that selection earlier on relative to the match does it make a difference?

Not really, shouldn't matter that much. I tend to make my team selections on the same day that I set the match day training for the upcoming match, so that more focus is on the playing 11. Atleast, I imagine so..

Also, team cohesion is built over time. While most of your youth should be playing together in the reserves, it's best to have a couple or more senior players for these matches, to ensure the win. Will also help the youngsters on the pitch.

I never even thought about this. It's possible but as far as I was aware team selection is a matchday formality and makes no difference.

Not really, shouldn't matter that much. I tend to make my team selections on the same day that I set the match day training for the upcoming match, so that more focus is on the playing 11. Atleast, I imagine so..

Also, team cohesion is built over time. While most of your youth should be playing together in the reserves, it's best to have a couple or more senior players for these matches, to ensure the win. Will also help the youngsters on the pitch.

Ok, thanks.

I mean logically it should work like this, I'm sure IRL managers don't choose their team a week before a match, but it also makes sense to have the squad selected before match training, or as match training, starts.

I've literally never set my selection till matchday....have I been missing something -_-

^ Yep same here. Something I have been wondering about for a month now.

Good question.

I've always (since Championship Manager days) done it right as the match is due to start so I can properly assess fitness. I genuinely don't think it makes any difference when it's done.

Back