Problems creating chances away from home

michelb86

Reaction score
I am playing a network game against a friend, Barcelona vs. Real. Not the most challenging teams, but still very fun to do. Downside is that every point lost means that you're further away form the title.

I am playing with Barca, and wanted to created a tactic close to the real playing style. This is what I created:
SK
WB(a) - CB - BPD - WB(s)
DLP(d)
AP(s) - CM(a)
IF(s) - F9(S) - IF(a)

Flexible, play narrow, lower tempo, shorter passing, closing down more, use offside trap, prevent gk distribution, play out defence, work ball into box, roam from position & dribble less.

At home it seems to work pretty well. I am (obviously) dominating, see some nice combinations, leading to beautiful attacks. Often have 15-20 shots, which is not a lot, but it is effective what I see from the scoring chances stats.

Playing away from home feels different though, where I play with the same tactic. I barely create any chances and I feel lucky when I see 10+ shots fired and win with 1 goal margin. I've watched 5+ games in extensive mode on low tempo, but I'm really bad at finding the problem. My gut feeling is that most of the teams will have 9-10 players behind the ball and that playing narrow with a slow tempo doesn't help in breaking them down. What do you think based on the tactic, what should I change to make it also work from home?

Also, what would you recommend playing against stronger opponents? Obviously you can't win every match, but I feel much more vulnerable against teams like Real and PSG (which might not be strange after yesterday lol). Should I lower mentality and the defense line against that kind of teams?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Why didn't you include Mentality? It's unbelievably important to know how much risk taking the team does. Also, without it, your TIs listed are meaningless.

10 shots a match isn't an issue though. What matters is the quality of the shots.

Why didn't you include Mentality? It's unbelievably important to know how much risk taking the team does. Also, without it, your TIs listed are meaningless.

10 shots a match isn't an issue though. What matters is the quality of the shots.

Yeah I forgot about that. I play Control, both home and away

Then you aren't playing narrow with a slow tempo at all. Your TIs alter defaults. It's lowER... NarrowER... than default for Control.

It does seem like you set up incredibly narrow with your roles though. F9 is middle the IFs will both also aim for the middle. So will the CM/A. Where's the width? Who is stretching the defence?

My idea was to have the backs coming forward (where possible), so they would be the ones to stretch the defense I guess. The left WB is on attack duty, the right WB on support.
And is playing with a F9 not always centered, because you have to have the two IF's around him to get the best out of it?

1) Who will be your main scorers here, 2) how are you creating space for them and 3) who's providing the assists for those scorers and 4) how?

1) Who will be your main scorers here, 2) how are you creating space for them and 3) who's providing the assists for those scorers and 4) how?
1) The IF's, 2) because of the F9 pulling deep 3) the F9 can give the assist 4) with a trough ball

1) The IF's, 2) because of the F9 pulling deep 3) the F9 can give the assist 4) with a trough ball
One IF will be just as deep, so the other is a constant threat, yes.

How does the CM/A fit in here?

I do tweak my mentality away from home and play standard. I agree with WJ that you need to look at the space and ensuring your attacking players aren't stepping over each other to get the ball.