proffesional status

• Thread starter Thread starter stewafc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5K

stewafc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently Queens Park in the scottish league. Won promotion from the 3rd Div in my first season, i am now in the play offs for in Div 2, but as I'm only a amauter club I need to be either semi-pro or pro so i can offer my players contracts so they can't be pinched by other clubs......how long or when will it be that i can ask my board for proffesional status? On the boardroom screen it isn't highlighted for me to ask yet. Every other club in my league in either semi-pro or pro????

Check out the reason why you can't go professional, in past editions of FM Queens Park is unable to become semi-pro/pro because the team in real life does not want to. if it says "this team cannot go professional" you're out of luck, but if it says "the club can't afford to go professional" it may just have to do with rep and finances.

I'm currently in my 4th season in scotland and I took East Stirlingshire (semi-pro) into the first division after 2 consecutive promotions but in my second season in the first division with a mill in the bank I still havn't turned professional. It's gona be hard as **** to do the same with only an amateur team!

Not meaning to be thick but how can I check that?
Also whats the difference between semi pro and pro? Professional clubs train more??

Last edited:
No worries, on the board request page where it has the place where you can ask about professional status, hover your mouse over it and it'll tell you the reason why it is grayed out. the difference with semi pro and pro is that a semi pro club can only sign and train people part time, while a pro club can train and sign people to full time contracts.

Thanks a lot for the help there, appreciate that. Sadly I got the answer I didn't want! The club has to remain ameatur. Devastated! Was enjoying the challenge. I'm going to re-start again with someone else now, a semi-pro team in div3. I want to achieve the scottish hero achievement see.

Ouch I feel for ya, I'm in the middle of the same challenge with East Stirlingshire, I'm barely avoiding relegation just praying that my board decides to go pro before i get relagated from the first division!

Iv'e gone Stranraer, just took on a lot of trailists and play a friendly against bigger teams every day to get out of the red! Looks like a good challenge this, ground holds 5,600 so not to bad, don't have any loans to repay etc.

I'm Stranraer just finished my 5th season managed to survive in the 1st division, I have £350,000 in the bank and can't turn professional yet hoping to profit from my players this season and survive again!

Just half way through my first season, joint top of the league. Signed Pablo Counago and Gary Wales. Both playing really well, just a shame I can't afford to bring in better defenders! Doubt I will go up to be honest, get a few injuries and I'll be in trouble! Hopefully a few more players with more ability will be available to me in the next summer transfer window.

The only thing that bugs me playing with Stranraer is when I play a game in my away kit I havn't a clue whats going on in the game as its impossible to read with the colour of the text!

Just half way through my first season, joint top of the league. Signed Pablo Counago and Gary Wales. Both playing really well, just a shame I can't afford to bring in better defenders! Doubt I will go up to be honest, get a few injuries and I'll be in trouble! Hopefully a few more players with more ability will be available to me in the next summer transfer window.

The only thing that bugs me playing with Stranraer is when I play a game in my away kit I havn't a clue whats going on in the game as its impossible to read with the colour of the text!

I signed counago too but he was injured most of the season. Craig Dargo was excellent for me. My first season I finished 9th so don't be disheartened if you don't get instant success. I am now 3rd in div 1 and not spent a penny on players!

What formation you playing?

Was top of the league all season and then lost 3-1 to Berwick on the last day of the season which sent them up and I then went on to loose to Queens park in the play-offs!! Aaaah well, another season in div3 it is then! Playing all my friendlys again with trialists and will have about £400,000 in the bank when the season starts which is nice and will set me up for next years pre-season when trying to sign better players.
Am playing 433 like always, Counago banged them in last season, hope he can again! Signed basicaly a whole new squad bar about 4-5 players! So hoping to storm the league this season, or disaster!

Berwick are my bogey team just can't beat them, you have done well to get all that cash!

I just won the 1st division and now in spl and now professional club, however the under soil heating put me into minus 1.5 million!

I think you have to decide how you want to play the game to be honest. Personally the strategy I have adopted is a massive pre-season friendly binge! I tend to go with around 10+ friendlies to not only fill my two tactics familiarity bars but also to increase my club's wealth asap by playing as many big teams as possible.

In my east stirling save I'm already around the 500k mark for balance and I'm just into my second season. The game is a game after all and the way I look at it is if you can generate funds without using external tools like save game editors etc then its not really cheating per se.

I'm also looking at incorporating the philosophies found here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...wanted-long-successful-career-club-reign.html

This will sound arrogant but getting teams promoted from lower leagues is easy once you know how. You build up a knowledge base of players that you come back to time and time again as well as staff which makes it easier every time you start a new game.

The problem I find is staying interested long enough to see a project through. I took peterhead to the first division in successive seasons, winning 3 challenge cups and 2 leagues along the way....problem was I made a mistake which cost me dearly and brought relegation which I hadn't happened to me in any version of the game for a **** of a long time (giving low bonuses for league and cup at the start of the season destroyed my team's morale and affected the whole season).

Good thing though is I learned from that. Now I'm aiming to stick with east stirling so I can unlock the achievement for getting them into the premiership.

The way I play the game is the way I think it should be played, maximizing every advantage possible to get your club to where you want it as quickly as possible. Is looking around forums for decent players cheating? No...why? Because in real life players are discussed through different mediums daily. If anything spending time outside the game researching and building up knowledge of players is a good thing.

Counago was a revelation for me scoring 26 goals in 36 games so far. I think its cool that I became aware of him through looking around forums etc.

For those struggling in general I would suggest learning a set routine that whichever club you manage, you put in the same solid structure that gives you the best platform to work off. Eventually everything will click and you'll start assuming that at the start of every game the team you manage will vastly improve and overachieve.

I'm thinking of writing a guide that I think will help newer players or those struggling for consistency to get better results and enjoy their game more.

Hows your games going?
Have just got Stranraer into Div1 just in Pre-season now, playing 10 high profile friendlys to generate revenue, will have between 1m to 1.2 after they have been completed. Going to use more of a defensive formation/tactics this year see how we get on, build for a promotion challenege next season maybe?
Me and Brechin are the only teams in the league to be semi proffesional, don't really want to be a proffesional team just yet as you have to pay double the wages for players/staff so wouldn't do my books any good.

Last edited:
Back