Question on Wonder Kids / Hot Prospects

Reaction score
Not sure to ask here or in the player section but I'll have a go at it here. I'm currently playing Solihull Moors and we're managed to get promoted all the way up to League 1. The question is when should I start investing on "wonder kids" or those young players that has really good reviews/scouting. I noticed that as I move up and say I get a year in, some deteriorate and some retains their good value. I only have Adequate training facilities and Minimal Youth Facility. So again, when should I really be focusing on signing these young players? Do I have to wait till Championship/Premiership? If so, Is it smarter to be signing on short 1 or 2 year contracts and taking full advantage of the vets who most of the time are cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

I also have Lincoln City on L1 now, hopefully promote this season to CH, anyway, i don't get wonderkids yet, as if they truly improve somebody will come and get him and you won't be able to use it (is what i thought).
What i do now is getting 19-21 good players with good potential to help me go up, i do sell them too later for a greater value and hopefully improve my youth facilities.
But in fact, i d like to know what you ask too, what level of youth facilities do you need to keep the wonderkid on god shape, and to what level (league, position) you think is enough to be able to retain them and not move to better teams?

Yeah. I think we're on the same boat. I have trouble selling my players and almost giving away them for peanuts. I guess that's better than nothing right?

I also do get a mix of youth and vets (around 2 to 5 and usually fields 1 or 2 of them). I think my problem really is the amount I offer them with my contract. I managed to win the FA Cup and was surprised to have as much as 6M in transfer budget. But really still looking for ways to minimize spending and maximize the result I can get.

Normally i sign these wonderkid/ hot prospect for free early in their career. Give them proper training, or loan them out. If u think he is good enough to be in ur rotation squad, make sure they have enough game time exposure. Within normally 2 seasons, i can normally decide if he develop well or ship him out to make money.

Have 2 regen wonderkids age 19, got for free, now wanted by several top teams across europe.

On my San Marino save i always check for Young players with potential and so far it has worked REALLY good for me. For instance, I signed 7-8 freebies that were "touted as the next" or had good stats when i was in Serie B. After 2 seasons and when I eventually got promoted to Serie A I have had Co-Ownership offers for all of them. Ranging from 1 million up to 4.3 million. I have decided that I will just try to avoid relagation for the next few season whilst also buying young and low and selling high untill i can start to get the club in a better financial position.

There is of course no Co-Ownership in the English leagues but you can also use this plan and make it effective. It will boost your income and help boost your clubs reputation by upgrading facilities and therefore incresing your clubs stature.

Hope this helps mate and keep us updated.

Back