Questions from a starter.

• Thread starter Thread starter hmust92
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1K

hmust92

Reaction score
Hello everyone! How are you? Hope you are doing well.

I have a couple of questions.

1) I'm playing FM after 4 years and I just wanted to ask about loading leagues and databases. Mainly, what's the point? I loaded only England in one save and foreign players were still available for me. What exactly does loading leagues mean? ALSO, whenever I select a league in game I think it only loads when the new season starts. Does anyone know when the new season starts?
2) Secondly on forums I see people have a view only option and a playable option in terms of loading leagues. What's the difference in that? I get that playable means that you can probably manage teams from those different leagues, but what does view only mean? I have no leagues loaded in a view only manner yet I can still view all their players?
3) Lastly, I just completed two seasons. I still want to continue playing with this team for another year or two, but I just wanted to ask how you can apply for jobs at different clubs? I haven't quite figured that out yet.

If these are simple questions I apologize. I am so stupid when it comes to this game especially after four years!

Last edited:
My knowledge in this area isn't as strong as it could be, but I'll try and answer anyway.

1) I'm playing FM after 4 years and I just wanted to ask about loading leagues and databases. Mainly, what's the point? I loaded only England in one save and foreign players were still available for me. What exactly does loading leagues mean? ALSO, whenever I select a league in game I think it only loads when the new season starts. Does anyone know when the new season starts?
Firstly, database size. Size does matter. ;)

Small databases will still have foreign players, but fewer players than the bigger databases. In your case, all of England will still be loaded, but foreign players below a certain reputation won't be, AFAIK.

So the logical next though is, well load the biggest possible database then, right? No.

If you only load England and you select a huge database, the gameworld is now flooded with players. The transfer market will be saturated, so you'll see a drop in transfer activity. Clubs outside of the leagues you loaded won't be as active in the transfer market anyway, outside of maybe the very top clubs. You won't get a lot of money for your players, as there will always be a cheaper option. After a few years, this goes back to normal as unattached players will retire etc.

So if you load only a few countries, stick with the smaller databases.

2) Secondly on forums I see people have a view only option and a playable option in terms of loading leagues. What's the difference in that? I get that playable means that you can probably manage teams from those different leagues, but what does view only mean? I have no leagues loaded in a view only manner yet I can still view all their players?
I'm actually not sure what the view-only option does, but it's largely pointless, imo.

The more countries/leagues you load as playable, the better, really. It slows down performance/processing times, but you'll have more leagues who will be a lot more active in the transfer market. You can also manage in those leagues later on, if you want to.

3) Lastly, I just completed two seasons. I still want to continue playing with this team for another year or two, but I just wanted to ask how you can apply for jobs at different clubs? I haven't quite figured that out yet.

If you go to Staff --> Job Security, it'll list the clubs currently without a manager as well as manager's who are listed as Very Insecure etc. For clubs without a manager, you can just right-click and select Apply for Job/Vacancy.

For those who are insecure, you can "Declare Interest". It lets the club know of your interest if they do happen to sack their manager. If you have a very good reputation, they may even fire the current manager immediately just because you're interested!

Careful of abusing this though. You will generally get away with 1 or 2, but eventually you're going to anger your current employers.

If these are simple questions I apologize. I am so stupid when it comes to this game especially after four years!
Don't worry about it. If you don't ask, you won't get answers. They're not simple questions though.

The view only option gives you access to a larger pool of players but without the need for the computer to process matches in detail (so you can't watch the highlights) I also think it largely ignores secondary cup, reserve and youth fixtures. Generally it is useful if you want a larger database but don't think your comp has the processing power to cope.

I'll also second what is said above about the databases - bigger is better but only if you need it. If you are managing Chorley in the Conference North then the players you are likely to attract will just be British and will most likely appear in a small database. Further up the leagues you get the wider you will need to spread the net to get the right players. As I always start at the bottom I normally play the first 2-3 seasons on a small database or with one or two nations loaded before expanding it at a later date. If you start higher up though I would recommend getting a wide range of nations, with only the top one or two leagues selected if you have no interest in managing there.

Hey guys, where can i see my managerial status ingame, compared to all ingame managers (including AI and human) in my Save? Or there is just that Leaderboards option to see only human manager stats online?

Few places to browse through manager stats. Theres the leaderboard to compare to others. In game managers are ranked and it is found in different places. You can view different managers by going onto their page though and compare attributes and look through history.

load leagues as view-only does not load any players but it simulates the matches in those leagues (not on detail level though) but the table will look different each year.
So the clubs playing in european competition from those leagues will change.

I always load norway as view-only and hope Lilleström gets into european competition no matter what league I'm managing in, simply because I'm a fan and it gives the game another dimension for me.

Depending what league i'm in, i'll always fully load a local league, So for Eng/Scotland, USA/Mexico, Argentina/Brazil etc. as well as a few view only leagues for shifting players. Russia/Spain/Portugal etc.

If I had a better computer I'd load more leagues as playable, this one overheats if I do it.
I do load extra players from the advanced database tho, either european or south american internationals or players from big clubs in Europe/S.A.

Back