Race to the Premiership - Altrincham

Chubbeh

Reaction score
Race to the Premiership

In this story you will be following me through the highs and the lows, the struggles and the easy wins, the triumphs and the fails as I lead Altrincham from the Blue Square Premier North to the Premiership(Hopefully).

My activity in the first transfer window is as follows.

Players In
Connally Edozien - Striker - Free Transfer - £210 a week wage.
Craig Clay - Midfield Centre - Loan (Chesterfield) - End of Season.
Tendaya Darwika - Attacking Midfield Right - Loan (Chesterfield) - End of Season.
James Gilpin - Goalkeeper - Free Transfer - £120 a week wage.
Tommy Taylor - Attacking Midfield Left - Free Transfer - £5 a week wage.

Players Out
Stuart Cobern - Goalkeeper - Free Transfer
Tom Richardson - Striker - Free Transfer

Pre Season
Overall we had a decent pre-season, winning 4 of 6 games. We only lost to two teams that were a lot bigger than us. Manchester United Reserves and Barnsley. We caused a shocking upset to West Brom Reserves by beating them 2-1 in a match where they had most of the chances but were unable to finish and we took our chances with the skill of a team playing well above their expected skill level.

Key Players from Pre-Season
James Gilpin - Goalkeeper - Pulled out some incredible saves and was overall the best performer for the team. Helped win some games and stop the losses being a lot worse.

Timothy Thompson - 3(1) appearances with 2 goals and 1 assist, scoring 2 key goals from distance aswell as looking menacing to the enemy defence almost every time he touched the ball.

Screenshots

View attachment 201525View attachment 201526View attachment 201527View attachment 201528View attachment 201529View attachment 201530View attachment 201531View attachment 201532

I will upload more of my story as I progress. Next update will be in 10 league games. If you want me to upload any addition info, just comment and I will get to it.

Last edited:
10 League Games Update

A solid start to what has been so far a good season all around for us. We have had few to little injuries, only 1 main injury to our number 1 AML which has left us a little short in that department when Michael Twiss is in need of a rest.

The League Games - We are currently on a run of 5 straight league wins and have just crept into first place after sitting in second for a few games. We suffered 2 defeats in a row (One to the team sitting in second) early in the campaign and were having some teething problems which seem to have been sorted now. Morale is at an all time high for the team and they are responding well to team talks and tactics and training. Everyone seems to be close to top form and we are looking to maintain our winning run as long as possible.

The Cup Games - We have had two matches played and won in the FA Cup. The first one being against FC United where we recorded a comfortable 3-0 win in an all around solid performance. The second win were to a team I have never heard of before by the name of Marine. We swept them aside in astounding fashion, recording a 5-0 demolition of the obviously inferior team. We look to the next round where we face Southport. A team struggling in our league but as it's a cup game we will not be holding back as anything can happen.

The Top 3 Performers - Each 10 games I will show you the 3 players who I think have performed above expectation, improved the most and most importantly... Done the most for the team. These may not always be the top rated players as they are opinion based.

1. Tendaya Darwika - A stunning start to the season and doing everything a manager could possibly want from a winger. With an average rating of 7.81 over 12 games he has been the dominant performer of the team so far. Recording 11 goals, 3 assists and 1 man of the match. With a passing percentage of 81% he has been doing everything and anything possible to lead this team to glory.

2. Timothy Thompson - Was left out of the first few matches for a more experienced player. At 16 years old I was tentative on whether to play him. I was quickly rewarded for my decision to give him a shot in the first team. 7 games played with 4 goals, 6 assists, 2 man of the match awards, pass rating of 78% and an average rating of 7.74 he could have easily taken the top spot if he had been given a chance from the start.

3. Shaun Densmore - A solid defensive start for this player with 12 games played, 2 assists, 1 man of the match, 76% pass rating, 5.83 tackles per 90 mins and an average rating of 7.57, not much more could be asked from a defensive point of view.

Transfers - We have had to lose £1000 from the wage bill to keep the finances balanced and therefore had to release some of the more experienced and highly paid players who were taking up space. We will be looking to bolster our finances and hopefully bring some youth players through the ranks to replace the current gaps we have.

Screenshots

View attachment 201661View attachment 201662View attachment 201663View attachment 201664View attachment 201665View attachment 201666View attachment 201667View attachment 201668View attachment 201669View attachment 201670

Last edited:
Thanks for the follows and comments, appreciate your support. Mark I will do my best to make your town proud ;)

altrincham fans are all inbred, from a macc town fan :)

20 League Games Update

Things have not been going so smoothly since the last update. We have had to bring in a couple of new signings aswell as release some more players to balance the budget which has caused a dip in form whilst new players get to grips with the system aswell as their team mates. We have performed some shocking defence and costly mistakes, heavy injuries and stupid red cards. Which as a manager have infuriated me and I have in no way held back from letting the team know just how I feel.

The Cup Games

We start off with a FA Cup 4th qualifying match against Southport. We play well but give up 2 easy goals that should not have been allowed and just managed to come out on top in a thrilling 3-2 encounter. Things were looking good and we were looking forward to the draw, hoping for an easy game to progress to the 2nd round of the FA Cup... Only to be drawn against the much bigger MK Dons. We went into the game against the superior team with little expectation but much enthusiasm and went 1-0 up. We went into the half time break in the lead and confidence was at an all time high. The MK Dons manager must have given his players steroids or some other performance enhancing drugs during the break as they came out and instantly swept us aside with little effort. Leaving us licking our wounds with a 3-1 loss.

After being knocked out of the FA Cup, all our attention could be focussed towards the league and the FA Trophy. We headed into the 3rd Qualifying round against Newcastle town. After just coming off a 2-0 loss in the league we were shaken and it took some encouragement of the players to get their spirits up and they came out with complete destructive force, demolishing Newcastle town 6-0 in a match where everybody played amazingly.
The first round draw upon us and we were looking forward to seeing our opponents and then it happened. Altrincham drawn at home against..... Southport. We were tentative about this draw after our narrow win we knew they would be looking for revenge but after stringing a 6-0 and a 3-0 win back to back we were feeling we could and would win. In a hotly contested match we proved our superiority, winning the match 3-1 and looking more comfortable than last time.

The League Games

This is the part where we have been shaky. We have recorded some good results in the cup games but consistency in the league is lacking at the moment. With 10 league games played since the last update. We have managed to win 4 games, draw 4 games and lose 2 games, leaving us second in the league and 5 points behind FC Halifax. Morale was slowly slipping away after only 4 wins from 10 games and so I called a team meeting after our 19th game and 3rd consecutive tie. My intentions were to rally the team and improve morale on and off the field but with more than half of the players reacting badly and none reacting well I feared I had caused the opposite effect but during the next game my words must have sunk in as we demolished Guiseley in a 5-1 execution.

Top 3 Players

1. Timothy Thompson

The young and inexperienced striker is showing a talent level way above what was expected of him and is leading the team to some key victories. With 19(1) games played, 15 goals, 11 assists, 5 man of the match awards, 75% passing completion and an average rating of 7.64, this young man has earned his starting place and proved he can be called upon time and time again when needed.

2. Ade Akinbiyi

After only 3 games with the club the experienced striked has already begun to prove his work. He has yet to record a goal but has had 5 assists, proving that creating is just as important as scoring goals if you want to have a successful team. He has an average rating of 7.70 and could well be given more play time soon.

3. Connolly Edozien

The veteran striker was reaching near top form and basically carrying the team before being struck by an injury that left his and the teams progress hampered. After his injury he came back and scored in his first match and notched up a few assists since. He has currently played 20 games, scoring 9 and assisting 10. With a pass completion rate of 74% and an average rating of 7.47 he has been one of the teams outstanding performers even after suffering such a bad injury.

New Addition - FLOP of the Update.

I will be bringing you 1 player (maybe more if things get so bad) each update who has hampered the teams progress with their mistakes. This weeks winner goes to...

Chris Lynch

Some of the decision making by this player has been absolutely shocking, with atleast 4 mistakes that led to goals, 2 penalties give on top of that, 2 own goals and 1 red card... This player has truly been more of a blessing to the other teams attack than to our defence.

Transfers

In
Mikah Evans - AM(R/L) St - Free Transfer
Ade Akinbiyi - ST - Free Transfer
Gareth Williams - MC - Free Transfer
Marlon Broomes - DC - Free Transfer

Out
Peter Osbourne - Free Transfer
Josh Ollerenshaw - Free Transfer
Anthony Danylyk - Free Transfer

Screenshots

View attachment 201883View attachment 201884View attachment 201885View attachment 201886View attachment 201887View attachment 201888View attachment 201889View attachment 201890View attachment 201891View attachment 201892

Thank you to everyone who has viewed or commented. Your time is greatly appreciated. If there is anything I can add to my updated to make your reading more enjoyable. Please just leave a comment and I will see what I can do...

Last edited:
Also if you have a story of your own... Leave me the link and I will check it out and keep updated.

30 League Games Update

We have been on a solid run of form lately and have really hit our stride offensively though we are still sketchy in the defence department and are still making costly errors. We have played 12 games in all competitions with 10 wins, 2 losses and no draws which is a vast improvement since our last update and the players are all responding and playing well. Morale is still high within the team and yet again... We have a few new additions to this constantly evolving and improving team.

The Cup Games

Since our last update we had the draw for the FA Trophy 2nd Round where we drew the bigger team of Mansfield. We were on a 2 match winning streak entering the match and confidence was high after a 6-2 win over Colwyn bay though I warned the players of overconfidence we went into the game with high expectation. We were rewarded for our hard work and confidence with a 5-1 thumping of the team from a higher division. We finished the match in high spirits and looked forward to the upcoming draw... Which delivered us a team which had been above us in the league almost all season and were consistently winning games... FC Halifax. Spirits dropped slightly and the belief in the dressing room was low but coming off the back of a 3-2 win we were still going to throw everything we had at them. We dominated the match from start to finish, showing that consistency in the league means absolutely nothing in the cup, winning the match 4-1. The draw has been done for the 4th round and we have yet again drawn a bigger team in the form of Wrexham.

The League Games

A solid performance in the league so far with 2 losses from 10 games and 8 wins. We have been lucky on many occasions as defending has let us down time and time again and have almost caused some major upsetting come backs from teams with a passion to never give up. Both losses we have suffered have been 1-0 and games where we have dominated offensively but just not been able to make the most of our many chances. We have redesigned the way we come at set pieces and have been picking up a lot more goals from corners and free kicks. The teamwork of the players is looking extremely good but still a lot of mistakes being made. We are currently sitting in 2nd and 3 points behind league leaders FC Halifax who still have to make the trip to Moss Lane this season.

Players of the Update

1. Chris Lynch

Good defensive performances from this player have been one of the only defensive positives the team has had all season. He has picked himself up since the last update and being Flop of the Update in a dramatic turn to becoming the Player of the Update. He has made 29 appearances with 4 goals, 2 assists, 3 man of the match awards, 4.20 tackles per 90 mins, 64% pass completion rate and 7.39 average rating.

2. Micah Evans

This player has settled well into the team despite being a recent signing and has pulled out some outstanding performances for himself and his team. With 13(3) appearances, 6 goals, 5 assists, 1 man of the match award, 81% pass completion rate and an average rating of 7.21 he has been a revelation to the once weak area of AML.

3. Timothy Thompson

Not much more can be said about this young man that hasn't already. He has been outstanding despite having less playing time to accommodate new players and get rested between matches. With 26(5) appearances, 22 goals, 15 assists and 7 man of the match awards. A passing rate of 75% and average rating of 7.58 this player has so far been the dominant performer of the season.

Flop of the Update

Gareth Williams

A new signing in the last update who has only managed to play 3 of the last 15 games due to picking up an injury almost every time he smells grass. Even during the games he has played he has give lacklustre performances... Making him our new Flop of the Update.

Transfers

In

Martin Reilly - Striker - Free Transfer
Dean Bouzanis - Goalkeeper - Free Transfer
Darren Currie - AML - Free Transfer
Alex Whittle - ML/AML - Free Transfer

Out

Nicky Clee - AML - Free Transfer
Neil Tolson - ST - Free Transfer

Screenshots

View attachment 202080View attachment 202081View attachment 202082View attachment 202083View attachment 202084View attachment 202085View attachment 202086View attachment 202087View attachment 202090

Next Update will be in 12 league games which will bring us to the end of the current season.

Last edited:
Martin Reilly is fantastic, i got him on a save with eastborn boro, he scored about 40 goals

Yeah he has had a great start for me so far and has fit into the squad nicely. I checked your story earlier. Nice to see people start from the lower leagues. Good luck with your stuff and I am going to stay updated with what you do.

End of Season Update

We have performed in spectacular fashion since the last update. We went on an 18 game unbeaten run with a 10 game winning streak. The defensive problems we suffered all season non existent as we recorded quite a healthy amount of clean sheets after changing the Match Preparation to High & Defensive Positioning. It has been a glorious close to the season with some top notch performances from key players as well as new signings and managing to complete a double of the League title and FA trophy.

The Cup Games

After being drawn against Wrexham, a team that were performing well in the league above we were nervous about our chances of progressing to the semi finals. We went into the game on the back of a 5-1 win and a competitive win streak. We played with all the skill of a team deserving to progress, easily sweeping aside the opposition in a 5-1 win. We looked towards the Semi-Finals with a draw against Fleetwood Town. The 2 leg semi final during such a crucial point in the season seemed a heavy burdon for the players who were becoming mentally and physically drained from the pressure of so many important matches. We first headed to their stadium in a performance that at first looked as if we were finally meeting the end. They went into the break 2-0 up and looking good value for their lead. I told the team exactly what I expected from them in the second half and they went out and fought with every scrap of energy and commitment they had left managing to pull the game to a close with a 2-2 draw. A superb comeback and brilliant result to take to our home stadium. Fleetwood met us on our home ground after we had notched a 1-0 win in the league. They put up a good effort but in the end our offensive prowess was too much for them and we recorded a 3-1 win, advancing to the finals where we had to play Salisbury. We headed into the final after being crowned champions of the league but suffering 2 losses in 3 games and were shaky to say the least. They took control of the game immedietly, scoring a quick goal and going 1-0 up. After a full season of league fixtures and more games than expected from the cup runs the players were almost dead on their feet but never gave up and were rewarded by bringing the game back to 3-1. The pressure was on to keep the lead and then Salisbury managed to ****** a goal in the final quarter of the game and began to pile on immense pressure to grab the equalizer... Which never came... We walked out ecstatic with the 3-2 win and another trophy in the cabinet.

The League Games

With 12 games left in the season and sitting in second we knew we still had it all to do if we wanted to be crowned champions. We tightened our defence with pre match preperation of defensive movement and managed to win 9 of the 12 games remaining, losing 2 and drawing 1. Notching up a comfortable win against the league leaders sent them on the slippery slope downwards and they began to drop points. We on the other hand were on fire. Destroying all teams who came at us and looking like the champions we knew we deserved to be. We were crowned league champions and look forward to a new season in a new league.

Awards

Player of the Season - Tendaya Darwika
Manager of the Month - x2
FA Trophy
League Champions
FA Trophy Golden Boot - Timothy Thompson

My Chosen Player of the Season

Timothy Thompson

The youngest scorer in the league and an absolutely stunning performer all season. Showing a maturity way ahead of his years. This player has truly been a blessing to the team.

Screenshots

View attachment 202104View attachment 202105View attachment 202106View attachment 202107View attachment 202108View attachment 202109

Season 2 - Pre Season

We have had more poor results than positive in the pre-season so far but with a whole host of new players that was to be expected whilst they gel together. Winning 1 of 5 games with 2 tie's and 2 losses granted they were all against bigger teams.
We look ahead to the new season with enthusiasm but caution. We are attempting to employ a new tactic with the same shape formation and looking to gain results through possession football.

Transfers

In

Francis Jeffers - Striker
Victor Zapata-Caicedo - Striker
Adriano Moke - Midfield Centre
Johnny Herd - Defender Left
Alan Quinn - Midfield Centre
Charlie Anderson - Defender Left
Callum Bennett - Defender Right
Michael McColl - Defender Centre

All Free Transfers

Out

Darren Currie
Shaun Densmore
Mark Lees

All Free Transfers.

Screenshots

View attachment 202133View attachment 202134View attachment 202135View attachment 202136View attachment 202137View attachment 202138View attachment 202139View attachment 202140View attachment 202141View attachment 202142View attachment 202143View attachment 202144

10 Game Update

With a media prediction of 20th and a promise to the board to consolidate our position in the league, expectations for our club were not high at all and we went into the new season with a look at avoiding relegation and preparing for the next season. With some new signings under our belt and a new tactic set in place we went into the new season with a plan.

The League Games

We went into our first league game against Darlington. We were unsure what to expect of ourselves and went out and played our hearts out, sticking to the plan and playing rigid possession football and looked like we had been playing at this level for a long time, winning the match in confident fashion and a 2-0 scoreline to prove it. Morale and confidence boosted by our success we went into the second game against Crewe and managed to pull out a 0-0 draw. 1 win, 1 draw so far, we were extremely happy with our results. We then went to Cambridge and took a heavy 3-1 loss. We took the loss into account and decided we weren't going to allow that to happen so easily again and managed to Win 5 of our next 7 games, drawing the other 2. We were 4th in the table and only 1 point behind the league leader. We were well and truly playing above and beyond any expectations, including our own.

Transfers

In

Tom Lovelock - Goalkeeper
Loris Kauris - Goalkeeper
Jordan Mustoe - AML
Nabil Brahim-Bounab - MC
Richard Bryan - DC
Omar Elabdellaoui - MC
Shay Facey - DR
Danny Potts - DL
Omar Koroma - ST

Out

Ryan Brown
Simon Richman
Ade Akinbiyi
Robbie Lawton
James Gilpin
Chris Lynch
Paul Jones

All transfers were free transfers.

As you can see we dipped heavily into the transfer market, replacing almost everybody from last season.

Player of the Update

1. Adriano Moke
An attacking threat with every movement forward. He has been leading the attack and assisting the majority of our goals. (Stats unavailable due to moving on with my season before updating. I think some basic stats are in the team screenshot.)

2. Connoly Edozian
Leading goalscorer for the team so far although not performing as well as he should be he has still helped the team greatly with his goals.

3. Marlon Broomes
Played every game so far and has pulled out some great defensive performances, his average rating is not the highest but from what I have seen in the matches he has been a true defensive rock for the team.

Flop of the Update

Francis Jeffers
This player could not score with a £100 note on a cheap prostitute. Absolutely abysmal finishing, positioning has been awful and he has recently picked up an injury (best news we have had).

Screenshots

View attachment 202317View attachment 202318View attachment 202319View attachment 202320View attachment 202321View attachment 202322View attachment 202323View attachment 202324View attachment 202325View attachment 202326View attachment 202327View attachment 202328View attachment 202329View attachment 202330View attachment 202331

Hey mate, making good progress. Have to say, I would've expected Francis Jeffers to cream the conference, but sometimes players get stuck in ruts i suppose. When he comes back from injury I suggest offering him a new contract with a higher goal bonus, maybe some private chats and focused team talks, could be a motivation thing.

I'm from Alty and i'm also attempting this with them, got back to back promotions as champions, picking up an FA trophy on the way. It's also interesting that you should end up with some of the same/similar players as me, Dean Bouzanis is still my first choice keeper in League 2, he's a beast, could easily be a Championship, possibly Prem reserve. Also got Craig Clay and Darwika on loan in my second season, both very good players. Martin Reilly is a great shout too, banged in 40 odd goals over two seasons for me, could've got more if it wasn't for injuries. Only key difference is that I somehow managed to secure Pablo Counago (Ipsqich legend) as one of my first signings in the BSN, he has been simply incredible, playing as a trequartista he bangs in some silky goals as well as racking up tons of assists. He got player of the season in BSN, with 43 goals in all competitions, then banged in another 26 next season, scoring the BSP goal of the season! Hoping he can lead a charge to league 1, but I wont hold my breath as he's getting old and starting to surrender a few stats to the sands of time...

Would add some screens mate but i'm at work.

Enjoy the altrincham saga, it's certainly been well enjoyable for me so far!