Rally driver feared dead in crash!

• Thread starter Thread starter Kris
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1K

Kris

Reaction score
Former world rally champion Colin McRae is believed to have been killed along with three others in a helicopter crash near his home in Lanarkshire.

The helicopter, which police believe was owned by Mr McRae, 39, came down on Saturday afternoon in Jerviswood, about a mile from Lanark, and caught fire.

Strathclyde Police said Colin McRae, a keen pilot, is thought to have been on board with three others.

However formal identification of those killed still has to be carried out.

Strathclyde Police said the damage to the Squirrel aircraft was so bad it was initially unclear how many people had died.

A police statement said: "Around 1610 BST on Saturday, 15 September 2007, emergency services were called to a helicopter crash in Jerviswood, east of the A73 at Lanark.

"There are no survivors."

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has been informed and will carry out a full inquiry.

Police have been conducting a full scene examination and area search.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews, and the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service was in attendance.

An RAF helicopter was also put on stand-by to assist.

A spokesman for the British Airports Authority said the helicopter did not come from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports, but its flight path is still unknown.

Colin McRae won the World Rally Championship drivers' title in 1995 driving a Subaru, becoming the first Briton to win the title.

He was also runner-up in 1996, 1997 and 2001.

He is married to Alison and has two children, Hollie and Johnny.

Link

I'm Shocked. for those who don't know i also live neart Lanark and i have met Mr Mcrae a few times when he was promoting his old ps1 game etc and he is good guy and you could always see him in his helicopter. Tried to get own to Tesco for my Breakfast and the road was closed off by police because of a helicopter crash so i come home and it's on the news

RIP and for his family :(

He was a top bloke

Why do the bad things always happen to good people

**** shame. Terrible for him as a person and proffesional, and as for his kids thats tragic. Having a young daughter you know how you'd put yourself in front of anything that could happen to your kids.
Can only imagine how the mother feels.

Only one of his kids died, Colins son's friend was the other child in it.

Thought with the family, RIP.

Back