DutchLegend

Reaction score
Hello people.

Having played every FM (or CM back in the day) that I could get my hands on till about 2006, I was forced to take a break for a couple of yyears. Now I am back, and to my surprise and dismay I am not winning nearly as much as I used to.

Read the theorem, downloaded tactics and training schedules, but something seems to be off. Granted, things go better if I play a topteam (as opposed to my favourite Ajax team), but still having unsatisfying results.

So I kindly ask for your help to get me back on track :).

What I want is to recreate a proper Ajax tactic, like van Gaal style in the 90s. Problem is obviously the quality/type of players available-> Suarez isn't a real winger, nor a real 1 man striker. Maybe Trequartista Bergkamp/Litmanen style (Litmanen being more of a classical 10 anyway)

I am guesisng the best bet would be:

goalie
DR(wingback attack)-Stopper (Limited)-Cover (Ball playing)-DL (Fullback Auto)

CMr/DM (deeplying?)- CMl/DMC (ballwinning)
Right winger( Finidi style) AMC (Adv. Play/Trequart) Left Winger/Inside
Lone Striker (Support/Complete/Target)

My problems are with the following:

-What roles to give to certain players?
Certain players in the squad are largely unsuited, and transfer budget is limited.
Suarez doesn;t really fit anywhere, Aissati/Sulejmani aren;t real wingers.
Aissati aybe could play the '10' position.

I guess I would run:
Stekelenburg
vd Wiel-Alderwereild-Vertongen-Emanuelson
De Zeeuw- Lindgren
Castelen (transfer)-Aissati-Suarez (Inside Forward/Advanced Playmaker)
Pantelic.

- What tactics to use:
I want short passing, high pressure, loads of possession etc.
Problem is that it seems to be the team needs to work fluid, but van Gall usually had teams playing balanced or even Rigid with two creative exceptions.

Also struggling with through balls, but with a deeper line the attacking play becomes less dominant.

Struggling with Width and tempo settings for it.

- What players to get?
Do I need/want proper wingers? Or should give up and run Inside Forwards? Who to get?
-Do I use semi-Offensive CMs, or DMs playing CM?

Basically, what I want to recreate is a frivolous playing team, don;t care if I get countered away (hey, I am dutch, I expect to play better and lose!).

I'll post what I came up with as soon as I have worked on it, but some input would be very welcome.

Sounds great and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

For the wingers you should sign inside forwards in my opinion, to hold the ball better and have a higher sucess pass rate, with the fullbacks overlapping them.

As for the player problems you may have to bring in some talent, a tactic can be the best but without the right players it will not be effective against certain teams.

Hope i could help, good luck!

Right, third season so far.

First season I barely survived, as the board were out for my head. Finishing second after a final 12 match unbeaten run helped me stay put.

Second season I made it into the CL after beating Bordeaux after extra time away 0-2. Cl group was abysmal, didn't manage to get through while playing Basel, Liverpool and apollon. **** 2-0 lead and losing to Liverpool (I loathe Torres!). Knocked out of Euro Cup by Man U, but managed to grab the league.

So, third season and facing some dilemma's stopping me going forward.

Playing as follows (4-2-3-1), standard defensive line, slightly narrow play, slightly quick., trying the Nike defense:
Keeper (Defend)
Fullback (support)-CB (defend)-Ballplaying CB (cover)-Fullback (support)
Deeplying Playmaker (defend) - Advanced Playmaker (attack)
Winger (support)- Atacking Midfielder (attack)- Winger (support)
Advanced Forward/Target Man.

Line-Up:
Stekelenburg
vd Wiel-Jorgensen-Rivas-Emansuelson
De Zeeuw- Lodeiro
Baracite - Van Der vaart- Sulejmani
Santa Cruz

Back-Up:
Guzan
Andele-Alderwereild-Vertongen(Millito)-Vernon Anita
Eyong Enoh- Rasmus Lindren
Marcao (Brazilian talent)- Aissati-Kennedy
Humberta Suazo/Jo

I am wondering the following:

-Still conceding loads, especially away. Any suggestions?
-How do I play my lone striker? Targetman-> But how then do I get my AMC to score enough? Or deeplying forward?
-How to play van der Vaart?
-Any suggestions on cheap/talented backs, both left and right?
Edit:
Since I sold Suarez (ankeepable) playing inside forwards seems silly. Am I better off doing so anyway? Winger (support) lets them come inside loads already