Reforming the squad: Sunderland

• Thread starter Thread starter Kurt1212
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2K

Kurt1212

Reaction score
So here we go I've reinstalled FM and started a season with a mediocre team: Sunderland. I know pretty much nothing about the sunderland squad so I'm going to need all the help I can get.

So here what I am asking.

What formation suits sunderland best?
What roles should I play certain players in to get the best out of them? E.g poacher.
Who should I sign to strengthen my squad?

I'm pretty much asking you to build my sunderland squad with me.

I'm going to be playing K.Jones and Bent upfront and the rest I have no idea..

I always sell jones foe £10-12 million to birmingham or chelsea, put andy reid up for sale and i usually swap him for tom huddlestone at tottenham they always accept, buy james rodriguez for left mid, matias jorgensen for centre back and a decent forward usually kadlec i go for. also try and sell malbranque arsenal usually pay 45 mill for him and bring in kiko femenia hes better. I use my own 4-4-2 tactic which is in the tactic thread and first season i got them into euro cup, defence is the worst so keep hutton for right back if you have enough funds from selling other players buy serge aurier bout 1.6 mil on pre-contract!

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

i meant 4-5 mill for malbranque lol i wish 45 mill!!!

as i seem to be one of only about three sunderland fans on the site, mabye i can help...

Keep bent at all costs, he's an absolute beast on the game. use him as an advanced forward alongside a target man in a standard 4-4-2 formation. Jones does well here, but for a striker goals are limited and it may be best to sell him. campbell and bent work well together (but dont use him as a target man). Cana and cattermole in the middle is very defensive, so depending on how you play, you might want to sign a creative, attacking midfielder for the games you think you can win.
you'll definately need a left back, try and sign Alan hutton, but don't bother with John Mensah because the game doesn't really rate him. You should also look at buying new wingers

started a season with a mediocre team: Sunderland.

Well, you're right there. ;)

Try JP Woody's new Germany V4 Tactic.

It works wonders for me. :)

Cattermole as Ball Winning midfielder. Quality player.

So here we go I've reinstalled FM and started a season with a mediocre team: Sunderland. I know pretty much nothing about the sunderland squad so I'm going to need all the help I can get.

So here what I am asking.

What formation suits sunderland best?
What roles should I play certain players in to get the best out of them? E.g poacher.
Who should I sign to strengthen my squad?

I'm pretty much asking you to build my sunderland squad with me.

I'm going to be playing K.Jones and Bent upfront and the rest I have no idea..

Right here you go, I will give you my Sunderland start that will give you a vase to push on for europe etc

Get rid of most coaches apart from bert ,norman ( cost too much to release if a remember) and ball.

formation a downloaded one of one of the guys on here in the know-

ultimate domination v2

its a 4 -3-3 fraz-jones-bent will get a few

a use dans youth - adult traning thing

Get these in will give you between 4 - 4 1/2- 5 star ratings

roden fit
colbert fit
lollic gk
meco df
peruzzi tac
mcguin control
bert - att - already at club
mclair-shoot
whelan set p

sell - forgot his name young irish lad fc-amr reserves for about 775 k

buy these player-
smolark-free
beckham free ( handy )
regini - free
forren -2.4 ( would accept 1mill but always goes to other club- so have to price them out of it)
annan- 2.5
krivets-1m
ansaldi - 2.9
opare- 275 ( for future)
boucher 20k Future
jadson - free

if you get exra ~£ given get in lukak and mandz - 1.6 -clubs will offer 9mill in second season for him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd season

turner to spurs 9mill
ferdinand for about 8
cana to villa -7
reid-5 westham
malb - 4.7 overseas
richardson - 4.9 birmingham

get these in as a must

kryvt 2.5 class
otam - 4.5 pure class
veratti - think its about 400k each as hes shared

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just what has worked well for me am by no means saying this is the best start but it helped me get to a champions league final in 5th season with dzeko,cardoza-love leading the way.

prob need to check a few players spellings also as just going off the top of me head here.

Last edited:
jones is a quality supporting target man alongside bent as an adv. forward or poacher. but i would recommend fraizer campbell maybe even instead of bent. did amazing for me. cattermole BWM defend. malbranque or reid are adequate adv. playmakers. richardson is an adequate winger. you may want to sign a right winger as henderson is still quite young and not ready just yet. these are just ideas from my sunderland game. i ended up finishing 8th that season and getting to the semi in both cups playing this 4-4-2

Back