Regen Success - Season 4 - Newcastle (Full Version)

• Thread starter Thread starter Zesta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 5K
Z

Zesta

I've read a few posts which feature users complaining about the difficulty of the game. At this stage I wish to share how my career at Newcastle is going, but I don't agree with the majority.

I feel this is the best FM title yet, and it's all down to the added realism. It should be harder to win trophies. Look at QPR and Tony Mowbray's Celtic, too many signings can set you back a season or two. Also it's evident that signing foreigners requires more time to gel than ever before.

I'm currently in season 4 at Newcastle, where I've chosen to sell my big name players (Cabaye, Anita, Cisse, Ba, Ben Arfa, Tiote) for around £20m each, and rebuild using regens as early as possible. Even though the regens aren't 'ready' yet, because they've played in a settled starting 11, I've got one of the best defences in the league.

Tactics - Home

As I chose to become a selling club it was important to get as much as possible from my home games. Attacking philosophies are critical at home, as away games are incredibly difficult in FM 13.

Even though my regens are still cooking, their passing is still good enough for the short game. After 2 seasons my defence started to gel and calcify, so my 4-3's and 3-2's became 1-0's, 2-0's.

View attachment 281104View attachment 281105

Tactics - Away

Playing away is realistic. It's that simple. You may have 50-60% possession against weaker teams, but the Norwich's & Reading's play direct and can still make chances. Ultimately they get chances in the box and take a few.

This tactic is direct, but I've managed to win at Chelsea, Man Utd & Spurs a few times, whilst turning defeats into draws. Once my regens are out of the oven I anticipate we'll string a few wins together, but what's more important than the tactic are how long the players have been with each other.

View attachment 281106View attachment 281107

Season 1

Decent season as I played the NUFC big guns (Cabaye, Cisse etc), but I trailed off from the top 4 once I agreed deals for a few top stars to leave. Even though Wigan & Stoke overachieved, you'll note the big teams that struggled were those who bought high volumes of players, and hadn't gotten them to gel.

View attachment 281108

Season 2

Horrible season and I only just avoided the sack. On a few occasions I was given the media ultimatum of winning my next fixture.

The reason for this was selling the majority of my big guns. They were too old to learn decent PPM's and were on big wages. £80k for Coloccini? I don't think so. I relied on my home tactic to keep me up.

View attachment 281109

Season 3

Started really badly, so much so I sat outside the relegation zone. What's important here is that once my South American regens were in the country for around 18 months, they were on fire.

If the league was from Christmas until May I'd have been top 4.

View attachment 281110

Season 4

After carefully restricting my purchases to 2-3 players max, I managed to bolster the squad without jeapordising the team cohesion. A few injuries has cost me some easy games, but I'm right in the mix.

View attachment 281111

Notable Regens

Issa Itani - MC/AMC

He's played as a MC to begin with, but retrained as my AMC and is starting to hit his stride. Even only half developed he's already replaced Wellington Nem (sold to Liverpool for £16m) and will be a contender for World Player of the Year in 2-3 years.

He's got PPM's of attempts killer balls, places shots, runs with ball often & runs with ball often.

View attachment 281112

Gaston Fernandez - MC

Only had this guy about 18 months, but he's settling down. The move from Argentina to England has meant he's got more to do, but he'll end up as good as anyone technically. His physical attributes are kicking along nicely.

He's got PPM's of attempts killer balls, places shots, runs with ball often & runs with ball often.

View attachment 281113

Dominic Wilkes - ST

Picked this guy up on a free on Regen Day (the day your youth candidates are announced, head immediately to player search and filter by 'technique' stat).

Started him as a 16 year old and sold Cisse & Ba for a combined £47m. 14 goals in his 1st season, 19 in his next. He leads the line in all tactics and will be a world class poacher.

View attachment 281114

Niall Worsfold - ST

Had to prise him away from Southampton for £7.5m, even though they produce a high volume of world class regens. Nice to see it's like their real life academy (Bale, Walcott, Ranger, Clyne etc)

Whilst he's the Deep Lying Forward (Attack) in home games, he's on the bench when we're away. Once I gave him some penetrating PPM's he burst into life. Not only does he score, but he goes on mazy dribbles and passes the ball into the net.

View attachment 281115

Last edited:
agreed, this really cool that uve sold all the big boys and are going with the "kids" keep us updated meit^^

Interesting read. I wanted to try something similar, but i just cant stand using regens and getting well known talents at the right price is impossible for a team of lower stature.

And in real life u would get sacked at newcastle if you are anywhere around 15 ;).

I like this, thinking of doing this sort of thing with the toon or else Everton. What players did you sign/sell etc first season?

How are you finding these "regens"

On the day that your Youth Recruitment Network announces it's new intake, head to player search. All the new players will be in there ready to scout. Your scouting knowledge dictates which ones show up, so make sure your assignments aren't set by your chief scout.

Be conscious though that you need to give them games for decent stats, I didn't buy them like this.

I'm biased in favour of using regens as early as possible. I don't like buying real players as generally they're too old and can't learn new PPMs as easily.

It's a bit of a slog though, only special regens will perform at a high level on a consistent basis. If you've got a settled star in his 20's, might not be the best idea to sever ties with them so soon.

And in real life u would get sacked at newcastle if you are anywhere around 15 ;).

I almost did mate, almost did. My season expectations were lowered for season 2 as I'd been eliminated in Europe at the qualifying stage the year before.

Far as I know, World Golden Ball is based mostly on Current Ability of a player, I don't think your Issa Itani will be good enough to be one of the contenders, no matter how his performance.

If you mean how is he getting them in the game, then before you start a save you need to have the "Add players to teams" box ticked, and then throughout your seasons in that save the game will add new players to yours and other teams youth squads, but they won't be real players. The attributes of these regens vary, but sometimes, like in this thread, they'll have the potential to be world class.

However, if you just meant how did he find a regen with world class potential, I don't know. Presumably through scouting several teams' youth squads. Or through developing one through his own youth squad.

Seasons 4 & 5 - Completed

Season 4 - Climax

After managing to earn a place in the top 6, my form kept steady until the end of the season. Ultimately I finished 7th by losing on the last day of the season. Was a big blow as I ****** my Europa League place against the wall.

I was really proud of my defence with only 30 goals conceded. Krul kept around 12-13 clean sheets which you'll know already is incredibly difficult to achieve in this version.

View attachment 281384

View attachment 281386

Season 5

Quite simply this was the breakthrough season for my young side. We confounded the media prediction of 8th place to finish 2nd. We lost the title on the last day of the season at the Etihad.

With Tim Krul and David Santon the only survivors from Pardew's era, we lost only 5 games. Four of the regens moved to the elite level, and were players who formed the spine of my side (DCR, AMC, STx2). Santon left in January for £23.5m, leaving Krul as the sole survivor.

View attachment 281385

Finances - Potential Difficulties

One of the main benefits of my investing in youth should be the reaping of cash through selling established stars. However because Newcastle lack the variety of revenue streams enjoyed by the 'big four', the money earnt through player sales gets eroded very quickly.

You'll see from the screenshots below that I've accumulated a transfer budget of £129m, but only have a balance of £40m. This is because I've just received my TV Rights money, the day before I did the club were in debt. I did some digging and the second screencap has foubd the culprit...

The HMRC have hitched a ride on the Newcastle United gravy train. In Season 5 I paid a staggering £82m in tax, clearly showing the taxman all up in my grill. That was more than double what I paid in player salaries. No wonder Rangers tried to pull a fast one...

View attachment 281387

View attachment 281388

Player Transfers - To Date

I've had a few questions about what prices I'm getting for my talent, and how I got those guys to perform. To answer the performance question, my defensive talent were getting average ratings around 7.2, enough for bigger teams to bite.

The main consideration in selling a player was his potential ability. I didn't care if they could do a decent job, all I saw were dollar signs in my horrible, greedy eyes.

Season 1

Perchinho, Shola Ameobi, Danny Simpson & Xisco were all slammed onto the chopping block without kicking a ball for me. How I laughed when Huddersfield spent £2.5m of their Jordan Rhodes money on Xisco. That Spanish rat was on £50k p/w.

I used the cash sensibly, snapping up Wellington Nem & Adryan for peanuts. Ademilson & Kjaer were signed to go straight into the starting lineup.

View attachment 281389
Season 2

This was the first opportunity to snap up some regen talent so I had a greater license to sell some deadwood. Mike Williamson, Gutierrez, Obertan, Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Ben Arfa, Ba & Gosling were told to scram.

Spurs paid £25m for Ben Arfa and he's been in decent form for them. Reading bought Ba for £15m, Obertan went for £6m &Coloccini for £6.25m.

The 'Brucie Bonuses' were when Southampton parted with £5.75m for that tramp Steven Taylor, and Marseille hilariously offered me £10m for the worst winger in the game, Jonas Gutierrez. He's Argentina's worst rated technical attacking player.

Besides buying regens, I took Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton for £6m. He's been decent cover, but if I'm honest he's been a total bust.

View attachment 281390

Season 3

After my difficult 2nd season, the board held a rusty knife to my throat and demanded improvements. However Mike Ashley decided to bail out, so the new chairman persevered with me throughout the transition. The big name casualties here were Cabaye, Cisse, Shane Ferguson, Marveaux, Ryan Taylor & Tiote.

Benfica paid £22m for Cisse and £23.5m for Cabaye in a monster double deal. Tiote also headed to Portugal when Porto shelled out £18m for his services. The others left for dribs and drabs. It's only fair to mention at this stage that Marveaux & Ryan Taylor are rank.

This really left me threadbare, with only 2-3 players remaining with over 3 stars for current ability. Man City were whoring Jack Rodwell for £7.75m so I gave him a chance as my Anchor Man, letting the regens play around him.

View attachment 281391

Season 4

The earlier signed regens were finding their feet, but Wellington Nem (signed on day number one for buttons) enjoyed a breakthrough season. He refused to sign another contract so I angrily sold him to Liverpool for £27m. In true scouser fashion, he's another big name who hasn't kicked a ball for them. Rodgers and Rafa Benitez have both been sacked and deservedly so.

Vurnon Anita had done well to stay with me, playing out of his skin every season. Chelsea's £24m saw him head to the capital. No word on whether he endured racial abuse during his time there...

Simon Kjaer who can be picked up on day one for around £4m left too. Leverkusen paid £12.5m. I was happy with him, but the regens needed to start every week, so Simon and his beautiful blonde locks had to beat it. I read somewhere that German's like folk with blonde hair and blue eyes so everyone's a winner.

View attachment 281392

Season 5

After a solid 7th place it was time to push on. The only survivors at this stage were Santon & Krul. Normally the full backs are the easiest to replace with regens, but Santon trained hard and his attributes were great.

In January I bought a beast of an 18 year old, I'll post him in the next section. Liverpool paid £23.5m for Santon leaving Krul as the sole survivor.

View attachment 281393

Season 6 - Present

A quick eulogy here for Nathaniel Clyne. I doubled my money as Everton paid £12.5m. I'll never sign him again. He was responsible for a lot of goals and errors.

View attachment 281394

Regen Progress

Dominic Wilkes - ST (Poacher)

In my first post I mentioned Cisse & Ba's replacement, young Dominic Wilkes. In season 5 he became England's #1, and banged in 29 league goals from 36 games. The highlight was a 4 goal haul at White Hart Lane, punctuated by a 30 yard lob that had urine running down Lloris's legs.

His attributes are phenomenal now. He's just turned 20 and is currently 3 stars for current ability, with a potential ability of 4.5 stars. I've deliberately gave him PPM's where he dribbles often and passes the ball into the net. The game labels him as the next Andy Carroll because he's 6'0, but he plays like Henry in his prime.

View attachment 281395

View attachment 281396

Issa Itani - AMC (Advanced Playmaker - Attack)

This guy served as Wellington Nem's understudy whilst he acclimatised to life in England. He plays with both feet and in Season 5 finished with 10 league goals and 19 league assists.

This was enough to finish as Players Player of the Year which fulfilled my prediction he'd become a world star. He's still only 19 and has ridiculous scope for growth. His attributes aren't at Wilkes's level, but will undoubtedly get there. His dribbles on the Match Engine are cray*

* (that sh** cray)

View attachment 281397

View attachment 281398

Jesper Surel - DCR (Central Defender - Defend)

I signed a regen centre half for about £15m from Atalanta who's not kicking on the way I'd like. This is more frustrating as I signed Surel on a Bosman from Brondby and he's a beast. Beast with about 6 capital B's.

Season 5 saw him emerge from Kjaer's shadow and steal his place in the Danish side. An average rating of 7.87 was the league's highest and made a staggering number of key interceptions, key headers and tackles. Any time I played an away game, this guy was threatening for Man of the Match.

Barcelona & Real Madrid are sniffing around him, so I'll **** all over him to mark my territory.

View attachment 281399

View attachment 281400

Lukas Kostolansky - DL (Full Back - Automatic)

It was going to take something special for me to part with Davide Santon in his mid 20's, but this guy is a star. He'll be up there with Koeman & Roberto Carlos in the history books as an elite left back.

I broke the transfer record to get him, paying £23m. In his 6 months he scored goals in big games and was defensively sound. His position stats are other worldly, and still has another 1.5 stars of growth left. If I can get his pace to 15 then I can't imagine ever selling this chap.

View attachment 281401

View attachment 281402

Mauricio Berra - CM (Ball Winning Midfielder - Support)

I didn't mention this guy in my 1st post as his attributes weren't worthy of it, but he's probably had the most explosive growth in the 18 month time period.

This guy didn't just force Anita & Tiote out the door, he packed their bags and drove them to the Airport. Not content with being my best technical midfielder, he loves to leave a foot in the tackle. Hoovering up 17 bookings in 31 league games, he's doing his best Juan Sebastian Veron impression in Newcastle. As my main set piece taker he doesn't have enough assists, and I have a miserable number of goals from corners.

I'm bullish on this guy, but his play has yet to hit the dizzy heights of Inati or Wilkes.

View attachment 281403

View attachment 281404

Niall Worsfold - ST (Advanced Forward - Attack)

My #2 striker, he partners Wilkes in home games, and sits on the bench away from home. The game rates his potential as 0.5 stars higher than Wilkes, and is challenging for the #1 role.

He's only 18 so his attributes haven't hit the peak yet, but season 5 was his breakthrough year. Scoring 18 goals in 19 league starts, his form is lethal. His first England cap is imminent and he and Wilkes have a scary partnership brewing for club and country. Like Shearer & Sutton's 'S.A.S' for Blackburn, the 'W & W' will carve teams up for fun.

As a prerequisite for attacking regens, I normally like a technique number of 15+, but this guy's the exception. Only starting 19 home games a season could stunt his growth, but so could smoking...and he's been smoking hot all season!

(Pause for laughter)

View attachment 281405

View attachment 281406

Last edited:
I agree you should make this a story mate. I love the way you've handled the team. Win with kids!

What are the regen dates in FM 13? Cause i just past september 21st and i have no new youth intakes at all :/

What are the regen dates in FM 13? Cause i just past september 21st and i have no new youth intakes at all :/
For English (and French) players its 13th March if I remember right.

Back