stuinbucks

Reaction score
Help please guys,

At what recommendation is judged good? I mean I get reports for players and they sometimes say 'player x would be a fairly good signing' OR 'player x would be a good signing' how much difference is there between the two?

I know you should judge yourself but would like a little info if anyone knows?

Thanks

I think the star rating and whether they're 'fairly good' 'good' etc., relates to what you tell your board you will achieve. So if you say you're going to avoid relegation in EPL then Ashley Young may be a four and half or five star player for your team, if you say you're going to win the title, then that may drop to a 1 and a half of 2 start.

So it depends on your targets, but you need to consider where they factor in to your tactics too. A 3 start target man in a tactic that uses a target man is going to be of more use than a 4 star poacher.

So the star rating dont depend on how good the scout thinks he is compared to the others in the team? Usually I would only sign players with a good or higher rating but not sure how much differance there is between 'good' or 'fairly good'

Scouts take lots of factors in to play when giving you a star rating. I believe it is majorly based on your current squad and their ability. Also, it is compared to other teams in the same division. A third factor would be your goals (but im not entirely sure on this), followed by the scouts abilities.

I would just look at the stats of the player to judge if he is good enough right now, or if he is a young one, look at his determination and personality and ask yourself, "Will he be good enough for the first team in a few years? Can I tutor him to fit the position he needs to be fit into? Can he be trained well?"
Use stars solely for a guideline, use your own judging of a player for the final decision.

I personally think they should have three sets of "star ratings".

1. Compared to your squad.
2. Compared to your league.
3. Compared to your continent. (e.g europe)

That way.... you get a general idea on what your player is to the likes of Real Madrid...

Anyway I go by a few rule of thumbs when trusting reports... I always send my assistant (Judging ability and potential is both 20) afterwards to make sure they are a good signing, I don't sign players under 4* unless I need to.

It is mostly based on the current and potential ability of your squad. But the stars isn't the only main thing you should be looking at in the scouts report. Pay close attention to the players weaknesses in the report (something like lack of consistency can be a double-edged sword).

Also, don't go too much into star ratings. Since it takes your entire squad into consideration, even your youngsters future potential is taken into account, so a player who maybe worth 4.5 stars could only be rated 3 stars. Look at their stats, look at how much they can grow (difference between current ability stars and potential ability stars is a rough indicator). Also, their personality.

Based on their stats and any potential weaknesses, if you feel they can do a good job for you, get them, even if they're only worth 2.5 stars or so..

I personally think they should have three sets of "star ratings".

1. Compared to your squad.
2. Compared to your league.
3. Compared to your continent. (e.g europe)

That way.... you get a general idea on what your player is to the likes of Real Madrid...

Anyway I go by a few rule of thumbs when trusting reports... I always send my assistant (Judging ability and potential is both 20) afterwards to make sure they are a good signing, I don't sign players under 4* unless I need to.

Is four stars not a bit high?

The trouble for me is I'm managing in the Blue Square North so players don't tend to stick around or realize there potential ability so I usually look at current ability only!

The stars are based on (variations in examples made up):

- Relative strength within your squad. Say you are in Real Madrid Castilla and your squad has a bunch of four star players and Real Madrid sends you James Rodríguez, then all those four stars will become one.

- Final position expectations/reputation: If you're expected to finish 18th you may have five star players that if you're expected third would become two and half.

- Your promise to the board: The players are not as good relative to aiming to avoiding relegation than to European qualification, if you say I just want to stay a player may be four stars; but were you aiming for Europe he'd be just two and half.

- Relative to division strength/division reputation: players that are five star to play in the Welsh premier or English Vanarama would be half at best in the English Premier.

From all those four they come to a star rating. I don't know the details on how much weight is held by each of the criteria.