Gavinmitch11

Reaction score
Hi

Just want to get people's opinions/thoughts on their youth and reserve squads

I am Glasgow Rangers and as you can imagine we don't have big budget therefore I chose to look to youth.

Rangers have good youth and training facilities and at the start of the game have a huge amount of U19

i chose to sign them all up 2 extended contracts so they will be 20 before their contacts run out again therefore they will have 3years of training at the club

i also sacked my reserve team manager and took over the reserves so I could have them playing in the roles of my choice.

Am I waisting my time with my reserves that don't have great statistical numbers or does perseverance pay off or is it a case of buying the best 17year olds and developing them because the game has already set them up 2 be good?

For people that have been Glasgow Rangers have you ever trusted Crawford, telfer, kundik, picazio etc in their first team and been successful??

Well I'm Rangers right now and Luca Gasparotto has been a great player for me I also use Pascazio as back up in defence.
I have loaned out Perry and Hegarty this season Perry but thought it would be better if he played in the championship. And Hegarty is at Hamilton in the SPFL

MacLeod has been consistent in the first team for me just as a centre mid sometimes move him out to the wing if I have lots of injuries.
Crawford is a liability his potential is always changing and he can play really well one game and shocking the next I had transfer listed him but taken him off the transfer list now.
I have loaned out Hutton to crewe he seems ok but I'll probably let him go soon.

Up front McKay in my second season has 18 goals from 26 games so far on the wing. And Fraser Aird too has played well for me.

Tom Walsh, Sergey Kundik and Darren Ramsay have done well they are out on loan right now.

In terms of Transfers I have brought in:
in January window first season

Barry Ferguson Blackpool for ?135k (Is best Cm for me and is player/coach)
Scott Hynd Alloa 100k (has potential loaned out)
Andy Ryan Hamilton ?1.1m (In the first team over Nicky Clark and Little)

Second season I have signed
Kevin Dzierawski Queen of the South Free (Scouts said he has potential not the best he was young and offered back up)
Craig Reid East Stirlingshire 40k (good young keeper the keepers at rangers other than bell aren't great)
Richard Wilson Cowdenbeath 16.5k (My youth manager signed this keeper he seems alright doubt he will become first team but maybe make profit on him)
Jamal Blackman Free (Has good current ability for backup and decent potential)
Romould Lacazette Free (Has good potential to replace McCulloch and Ferguson)
Ricardo Quaresma Free ( Was offered him and well in the Scottish Championship...)

I also have Eliott Hewitt Ipswich Joinging at end of the season (has good enough stats to offer cover ar RB and potentially become first choice as foster is the only natural option in that position)

And Wellington Silva Joining January (Jon Daly is a bit old Nicky Clark isn't great and Little is inconsistent)

I got rid of(first team):
Simonsen
Mohsni
Cribari
Dean Shiels
Black

As they had large wages and offered little to the club.

Hope some of this helps you, there is definitely a lot of decent players in the reserves and u19s for Rangers if you play them or loan them out.

Also I saved money at Rangers by loaning out the first team players in January in the first season as I had almost won the league and played my youth and through that managed to see who was good enough.( I'm sitting in the Championship with ?198k (?20k available) for wages and ?1m to spend) The club is also sitting at ?14m in the bank which is also good going forward.

There will be a lot of randomness in the potential ability of most of your youth players at the start, this helps the game to be different for each save.

If you use a scouting tool, you will notice that of each year's youth intake, only 1 or (if you're very lucky) 2 will have the potential to one day make it as regular first-team players. The coach/assistant manager normally gets it right about who has the best potential.