rhenry1989

Reaction score
This is the first tactic I've published, so go easy please!

Obviously, you don't have to read all this, but it explains the tactic and philosophy if you are interested:

Ok, I should explain my reasoning for this tactic. I got into playing FM2010 again, and was thinking about Barcelona and the way they play now to even 3 or 4 years ago. I should tell you at this point I started a save with Hibernian, with the eventual outcome to get them playing like Barcelona (a hard task I'm sure you will agree).

The way I see it, Barcelona today don't play with a striker or forward, rather lots of midfielders capable of magic individually and as a team. So, straight off the bat, I play no players in the conventional striker/forward position, just like the real Barcelona. You might argue Villa is, however, he likes to start off left or often starts deeper, leaving no-one for the long option up front. Messi as we know, drops off into pockets, then spins in behind and is generally allowed to do what he wants. To this end, a position is created in my tactic for him to be the star, my guy in the 'Messi' role has scored me 28 goals in 29 games, and he is not as good as Messi!

Oh, and I don't even think you need the best squad in the league for this to work, I will explain Individual positions in depth as we go along.

Common features of the tactic:

• goals! goals! goals! most in the league by far, some of the play mesmerizing, intricate one touch stuff. Ensure your players are 'willing to die for each other', thus meaning, they are in tune on the pitch.
  • the double counter - LOVE these goals. The pace you see on these counters is swift and frightening, and often varied. All AM's are set to mixed 'run from deep', so they are selective about when to go, and this gives a couple of options to ball player. Also, Its amazing to watch, the attacking quartet all going at the backline at the same time, just like in reality.
  • 'Xavi' role - alot of tactics I looked at set him as the playmaker, but I don't agree. I think, in real life, yes, he has a playmaker role, like in my tactic, but the real aim is to get Messi with the ball to feet. Saying this, the 'Xavi' in your team will play plenty of killer balls, in particular, dropping it over the full backs shoulder, for your 'Alexis Sanchez' to run on to.
  • Defence - Okay, I have the best defence in the league, and it might just be me, but I get fuming if we concede any goals - but its solid. My back four are aged 19,21,20 and 20, so maybe I'm moaning a bit too much.
  • Possession - a real difficult one to obtain, however in games where I'm firm favourite, I usually get 65%+. I have attached some pics for you to look at. Sometimes, randomly, and annoyingly I don't dominate this, but it works out ok, as you get more counter opportunities.
Right, the formation:

View attachment 242863

It looks odd, I grant you, but if you watch Barca, you will often notice them in possession, with no one remotely attached to there two centre backs, then all of a sudden, bang, they are in behind. This is probably the greatest success of the tactic. This gives you plenty of CCC's, for me, usually minimum 4, but up to whatever...

OK, important notes on positions:

RB - 'Dani Alves' - I have not quite cracked a true 'Dani Alves' role, pure and simply because he needs to be a support role for the balance of the team. 'Crossing' is set at mixed, as is LB, great for really select crosses, or will usually retain possession, I have yet to see a lump in the box. Attributes required - I wont bore you, you all know a good player when you see one, but work rate and stamina 16+, or their game will fall to pieces otherwise. your FB's are key to this formation holding, if they are rank, they will get skinned over and over. Very nice if he has 'does not dive into tackles'.

LB - 'Abidal' - in reality, not as attacking as 'Alves', but in my tactic, fulfils same duty, see above for details.

CBR - 'Pique' - ball playing defender, not much else to say, I actually put both CB's on mixed through ball. I don't know, it just feels like they select a pass better when they are at 'mixed'.

CBL - 'Puyol' - a real ball winner. Brave, decisive and strong as an ox.

DML - 'Busquets' - all these def roles & FB's have the shortest passing option, that gives you the reality of how Barca play. Again, my 'Busquets' has a through ball 'mixed' option, it gives him the option to **** it over the back line, and his low creative freedom will ensure, when he does, it will work.

CMR - 'Xavi' - plays in CM as a deep lying playmaker, but 'Primary Playmaker' on team instructions is set to none. This will stop opposition targetting an OI on him, I think. Again, work rate and stamina key to success. As well as being a top ball player.

OK, the attack:

This is the exciting bit - because of the players I bought in and produced, I have the same attack as Barca, but in different starting positions:

AMCL - 'Iniesta' - pace, dribbling, passing, just a real quality player. sits a little deeper than AMCR, but with devastating effect. In particular, late runs and curlers into far corner.

AMCR - 'Messi' - whoever this is for you, he needs to be your best player, get this choice right and he is good for a goal a game at least. pace and dribbling is really key here.

AMR - 'Villa' - OK, basically, you want this player to be a goofy foot, so on the right side a lefty and vice versa. But you only want one in your side, so one natural, and one goofy. Its a support role and this guy comes in and scores a fair share and has fantastic through balls to late runners just like in real life. I dare say you could play Messi here also, although, I reckon it might inhibit his scoring ability.

AML - 'Sanchez' - pacey winger type, who 'moves into channels' - will get played in alot by 'Xavi' and hence many assist by cut backs and low passes across 6 yard area.

Note: These four positions are interchangeable, I have my 'Messi' and 'Iniesta' to swap, because that is what suits my team, but feel free to change, but do ensure you swap at least 2 players, it makes them difficult to mark.

Tempo:

They mix it up, they keep possesion and then go in quick bursts, they sometimes never let teams settle and go at them constatntly. However, it was crucial for me for this to be a one size fits all tactic, so you never had to worry about pre match tactics suiting the opponent. Just like the real Barca, I play one way, and have never used opponent OI's, or sideline shouts. Hence, tempo is bang in the middle. It gives players the option to dictate tempo, I like to think.

Creative Freedom:

There is much, especially in the attacking line up. Imperative to have players who can use this to produce the goods.

Balanced and Control:

I realise perhaps attacking and fluid may be more obvious, but this is too care free, Barca impose themselves and take charge of a match, so these settings help achieve that. I have tweaked mentality settings to make full use of the system.

Overall Philosophy:

As I mentioned, I built this up to this point, you can go straight in with a very good team and implement this without great difficulty - but to get to this point I set some ground rules to my overall running of Hibernian (I'm sure many will try and take teams that are mid to low table achievers and take them to the top). So here's what I did:

• Get rid of deadweight (work rate/stamina = 14-) and bad influences.
  • Signing policy - never signed a player in 6 seasons over 19. Initially, stuck with the core I was given while scouting best talent 19 and under I could find. Marco Verratti was a god for me.
  • Club 26 - Hibs are a selling club, so when players reach this age, I look to sell. This is, obviously, the final stage of the process. I use a hierarchy. I had my core when I started, aged between 21 and 25 (these are the first team 11). Below them in the first team and reserve squad, there is a second 11, aged 3-5 years younger than your first choice, he will cover your first pick through injury/suspension or whatever. Then, in your youth team, you want a third choice, again 3-5 years younger than your SECOND choice. Then , you sell your first pick at 26 (obtaining best value), promote the two under him, and buy the next available starlet for your youth team.
  • I never purchase younsters for more than £500,000, it's possible not to, so why would you? Maybe unrealistic for prem teams.
  • Make effort to set tactics and teams up in reserve and yth teams, and ensure you get your first team to tutor your yth players, I think this makes a difference and is good for harmony etc.
Limitations:

• I don't have the best squad in my league, I do have players that fit the system, you must too. They need the whole package, physical, techniacal and mental.
  • I started with a basic tactic with Hibs and slowly developed it year on year to this, so my team has gelled with it, whether you can play it straight away, I don't know. I do believe once you get good team harmony, it will work a treat.
  • I know I've mentioned it already but work rate and stamina is vital in all departments, closing down is high, just like Barca in real life, they will get demoralised otherwise. The hunt in packs mentality is great to see, you will rarely concede through the middle. It can occasionaly mean tired legs, so pick subs carefully in mind of this and buy players with great stamina.
  • When I do lose goals its from set pieces and crosses, it really irks me, anyone willing to sort this, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • For half a season when I switched to no striker/forward, I only scored 3 max a game, now I can get 4 comfortably and 5+ realtively often.
  • I know my league is not as strong as others, but I reckon its relative, you need a squad in the top quartile to succeed. I say this, but I ain't tried it elsewhere, so who knows, it may be fantastic for a Blue Square Premier relegation fight.
Anyway, I wouldn't say it's a complete tactic yet, and wanted to open it up for discussion, feedback, good and bad, is welcome.

Rick