Right and wrong way to develop youngsters?

lo1313

Reaction score
I'm wondering about your experiences in youth development in FM22, I googled if there is any change but I could not see any changes for this year.

I'm managing Dinamo Zagreb. Facilities fully upgraded, best coaches and a lot of them for all categories in all teams. None of my youth players have progressed really that well, very slow compared to previous years in FM.

Of course, I watch that training is not always the same, and look for the best in terms of Determination, Ambition and Professionalism in my players. I also use mentors and play them in as many matches as possible in my first team.

Players I loan fare okish but still they don't develop a lot.

So I want to know what are your experiences. Do your youngsters develop or get worse? What do you do with them?
Is it possible I play my players too much and they don't develop because of that (note, I never play a player in a game if he is tired, but theoretically they cant train too much if they play a lot of games)

Development rate progress is slower from previous versions. Now, a player will reach his PA at the age of 24 and this need to play and train well across all the years.

Yeah the development rate is slower for sure, so 17/18 year olds are less likely to be 1st team players, at least in my experience, also, regular playing time on their "level" seems more important.

Example, had a striker, 2 stars at 22, played in first team for almost a full season, long injury don't ask.

And while playing was always top rating training and improved to 3 stars in that year.
Also seen that with others where on loan around 18-22 if playing consistently seem to improve more than in my youth or 2nd team.

Obviously not officially confirmed this as I'm top League Norway 2nd year after 2 direct promotions, so my youth facilities aren't good, and coaches are mediocre