Rocky remembered

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2K

Joss

Reaction score
I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread to remember a true Arsenal great, David 'Rocky' Rocastle, who died tragically at the age of just 33 ten years ago today..

I don't know what to write, so I'll just copy over a blog post from the excellent Sian Ranscombe from www.ibelieveinarsenal.arseblog.com:

Including youth and senior career, Rocastle was with the Arsenal for ten years between 1982 and 1992 and sure as **** left his mark on the fans. There has been an outpouring of blogs, articles and tweets over the past few days paying tribute to him for both his professional abilities and his personal attributes.

I was three when he left the club so sadly don’t remember him playing for us. Nor do I remember him at his subsequent clubs, and nor, really, the day he retired from football in December 1999. I can see from the things I’ve read, the footage I’ve seen and the stories I’ve been told that I definitely missed out on watching an all-time favourite.

I do, however, remember the day he passed away in 2001 (the day of the NLD) and I do even more vividly remember the FA Cup final match against Liverpool that May. His son Ryan, then nine years old, was mascot for the day. Ryan’s mum and sisters were also in attendance at the Millennium Stadium. Arsenal had lost a beloved player but they’d lost a beloved father. It certainly gave everyone a bit of perspective. Every time I think of that final - not that it was one you’d much want to remember – it’s the Rocastle family that come to mind first, not Michael Owen.

I remember David Rocastle day in April 2006, just as we were preparing to say goodbye to Highbury. Every time I hear ‘Forever Young’ even now, I think of him, a player I never even saw play.

Here are a few blogs and articles from today. There were probably hundreds of brilliant ones out there in total, but these are just a few of them. The official site also has a great tribute. Whether you were around to see him play or not, it’s very worth having a read and getting on Youtube to either remember or learn how just good he was and how big an impact he had on so many football fans, Arsenal and otherwise.

‘Tribute to Rocky Rocastle’ (video)

‘Remembering Rocky Rocastle: One Fan’s Reflection’ - Vital Arsenal

’10 Years Gone- RIP… From the MUFC Faithful - The Faithful (MUFC Blog)

David Rocastle Remembered 10 Years On - Paolo Bandini, The Guardian

‘Remembering Rocky Rocastle’ – Gooner Home and Away

John Cross’s Mirror article ‘Remembering Rocky’

David Rocastle Online Memorial set up by his daughter, Sasha.

His name is still sung at the Emirates Stadium, nearly 20 years after his departure from the club.

RIP David ‘Rocky’ Rocastle, 1967 – 2001.

Never seen him play before but in the video's that are always shown about him and what all his old teamates say. He sounded like a great player :)

Legendary player. My Arsenal-supporting uncle named his cat after him.

very good player, sadly missed. Great shame. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

my favourite player when i was growing up. 33 years old is no age. **** shame.

It's a shame his prime was before my football watching time but I know how much of a legend he is at Arsenal. :wub:

My Uncle is a Arsenal supporter and still to this day get Rocky No. 10

Maybe Arsenal can win the Premier League for him. R.I.P.

Never had the pleasure of seeing him play, but judging from what former players and staff have said he sounded like one **** of a guy. Arsenal was the only club for him and it was summed up when he burst into tears when told he was going to be sold. Such a tragic loss to go so early.

RIP Rocky.

Last edited:
I was there in 2001 when the original minute's silence was held - being nine I really didn't know who he was but I've learned so much about him since.

RIP Rocky, legend :wub:

Maybe Arsenal can win the Premier League for him. R.I.P.

Haha - He did die 10 years ago.. Keown was saying they were determined to win the FA Cup that year, but didn't and he felt really guilty because he was able to continue playing football while Rocky couldn't even continue his life..

We won the double next year, though!

I was there in 2001 when the original minute's silence was held - being nine I really didn't know who he was but I've learned so much about him since.

RIP Rocky, legend :wub:

The first, last and only minute I've had respect for Spurs fans! =P

Back