S.S.D Palermo - Sicilian Phoenix

ingo302

Reaction score
Introduction:

Palermo Calcio logo (2019).svg

While on a search for a new save in the lower depths of the European league system, I stumbled upon one of my favorite clubs from back in the day. I hadn't thought of them in years, admittedly, but the iconic Citta di Palermo, with it's pink jerseys and stylish eagle marked my early years as a football fan. Those seemingly long gone times of 2005 all the way to circa 2013 when I had all the time in the world and no voluntary quarantines to worry about.

My nostalgia bone had been tickled. Anyone else remember the incredibly bald, incredibly talented Australian Mark Bresciano? It felt like he scored a goal of the year contender every weekend! Fabrizio Miccoli... he certainly scored a goal every weekend, most of them through sheer strength and a cannon of a leg. Edinson Cavani, Javier Pastore, Josip Ilicic (how old IS this fella?) all played in that same team. Then, years later, a certain Paulo Dybala started plying his trade in Italy, before a big move to Juventus. A decade earlier, Luca Toni was scoring 30 goals a season for the Roconeri, the pink and black. And goddammit, what a cool looking kit.

Palermo fit all of my criteria for a new save. I'm fascinated with the idea of bringing glory to a fallen giant on FM. It's fun, and most importantly, immersive. Palermo deserves to be up there. They have a massive history, truly one of the most iconic clubs in Southern Europe. Palermo is one of the oldest clubs in Italy, and the heartbeat of Sicily's biggest city. This deeply nationalistic island, located in the middle of Mediterranean, is known for their passionate, hard-working and underprivileged folk, and boy, they love football. The massive fan-base is well matched, then, with the large, historic stadium, the Renzo Barbera.

1584241900587.png

Now, back to the present. An almost unbelievable succession of bad decisions, many of the criminal in nature, have led Palermo to where it finds itself at the start of this Football Manager save. A phoenix club, re-birthed from the ashes of what once stood proud in the highest echelons of Italian football. History means nothing here, and the long road to redemption has just begun.

Società Sportiva Dilettantistica Palermo, a semi-professional club plies their trade in the fourth division of Italian football. We play in Serie D Girone I, the ninth and last group of this level, which includes another 161 teams, divided regionally. The rules here are simple: The champion gets promoted, the rest stays put. No playoffs or second-place promotions here. Brutal.

The foundation left behind by the fallen giant is all here though. My ultimate aim with the club is very straightforward: Win the Champions League and dominate Italy.

I'll be writing about my journey here. First time in 10 years that I have the time to stop and enjoy the slow burn of a FM save while writing down my stream of consciousness as I do so. Uhhh thanks I guess, COVID-19.

Last edited: