Safe standing in English football

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
The Proposal

By taking a safe standing roadshow unit demonstrating 'rail seats' around the country, to support the FSF safe standing campaign and Don Foster’s proposed bill that would permit clubs, subject to appropriate new regulations, to create - if they wish - designated areas for safe standing in their stadia.

We suggest that clubs might want to convert, say, 10% of their ground capacity into a standing section for home fans (e.g. lower tier behind the goal, shown red in example on right) and perhaps 5% for away fans (e.g. lower tier, opposite corner), thus leaving 85% of the stadium capacity as seating.

Such safe standing areas could be created in a number of ways (German clubs, for instance, use a number of different configurations, enabling quick switching of designated standing areas into seated sections for games played under UEFA or FIFA all-seater regulations).

stadium7.png

Example Stadium Layout
Red = Safe standing areas

Hi-rail seats

We favour the use of what we call ‘hi-rail seats’, as used, for instance, at state-of-the-art stadia in Hoffenheim (German Bundesliga, stadium opened 2009), Klagenfurt (UEFA Euro 2008 venue, opened 2007), Wolfsburg (German Bundesliga champions 2009, opened 2002), Hannover (2006 World Cup), Werder Bremen (German Bundesliga, stadium remodelled in 2010/11) and the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Stuttgart (German Bundesliga), where remodelling in 2011 now provides standing space for 10,000 fans using this form of hi-rail seat. An example of such seats / standing spaces (in the 'away' end at Hoffenheim) is shown below and via the links in this paragraph to photos of each ground mentioned.
Hoffenheim1.jpg

For example (assuming 10% of a 40,000 all-seater stadium is converted to standing):

4,000 x seated fans at (say) £30 per ticket = £120,000

7,200 x standing fans at (say) £20 per ticket = £144,000

Potential extra gate revenue per game = £24,000

Potential extra gate revenue over a notional 20-game season = £480,000

Potential total extra revenue (including expenditure on drinks etc.) = £1,022,000

Stadium A
Current capacity: 35,000

Two-tier stand behind each goal

Lower tier of the ‘home end’ (3,500 seats) converted to safe standing

A section of the ‘away end’ (1,750) converted to safe standing

Total seat spaces converted: 5,250 (15% of capacity)

Total standing spaces created: 9,450 (5,250 x 1.8)

Revised total capacity: 39,200 (+4,200, i.e. +12%)

Example seat price: £25

Example standing price: £18

Total gate receipt potential before: £875,000 per match / £17.5m per 20 games

Total gate receipt potential after: £913,850 per match / £18.25m per 20 games

Potential gate receipt increase per 20-game season: £750,000

Potential total extra revenue (incl. spend on drinks etc.): £1.4m

Stadium B
Current capacity: 60,000

Two-tier stand behind each goal

Lower tier of the ‘home end’ (6,000 seats) converted to safe standing

A section of the ‘away end’ (3,000) converted to safe standing

Total seat spaces converted: 9,000 (15% of capacity)

Total standing spaces created: 16,200 (9,000 x 1.8)

Revised total capacity: 67,200 (+7,200, i.e. +12%)

Example seat price: £30

Example standing price: £20

Total gate receipt potential before: £1.8m per match / £36m per 20 games

Total gate receipt potential after: £1.854m per match / £37.08m per 20 games

Potential gate receipt increase per 20-game season: £1.08m

Potential total extra revenue (incl. spend on drinks etc.): £2.3m

Safe Standing Roadshow.co.uk

I am defiantly in favour of standing areas but those financial stats are bullshit.

Well, when it comes to the financial stats it does say potential

I am defiantly in favour of standing areas but those financial stats are bullshit.

You need to back up claims like that.

I love standing at games but only really get away with it at Scotland matches.

Totally agree with safe standing.

The way it is done in Germany is an example we should look to follow here in England.

The atmosphere it helps to generate is a free bonus on top of any finacial gains.

I hope safe standing does come in to play in the Premier League/Championship. If Scunny get promoted again we have to change to all seater having played there for three seasons already =(. I think the hi-rail seats look like a good idea, just as safe as seated areas IMO.

Standing helps the atmosphere especially at away games . This season i've been to, Wycombe, Accrington, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Rochdale, only Accrington is standing but I've stood at them all. Obviously at each of them there was no more than 500 fans in the stands but if safety precautions were in place it would be good if there was 10,000 plus in a standing area.

Cant see anything wrong with the finances myself. Definitely would love to see a return

Well, if it works elsewhere, and it's been proved to be safe, don't see why it shouldn't be brought over here. Lessons have been learned, and clubs would be so incredibly careful to ensure it wouldn't happen. And the financial benefits to be gained from it as stated, would be incredibly beneficial to smaller clubs too.

Many smaller clubs like Crystal Palace just have standing areas anyway, which have seats but it's common etiquette to stand. This would just remove that need and bring in extra money. We've learnt our lessons, I think it's time to bring back standing areas.

I love standing at games, would rather stand than sit. Hate it when stewards tell everyone to sit down, although at away games they rarely manage to get the toon army to sit down!

im definatly up for standing, its much better without a doubt.

They are assuming that the extra space will be filled and because they are assuming the stadium is sold out in both situations.

They are assuming that the extra space will be filled and because they are assuming the stadium is sold out in both situations.
They are estimates, there is always some measure of assumption. Doesn't make them bullishit. Clubs will make more accurate calculations based on their own particular circumstances, but as estimates go they are pretty solid

Back