sc Heerenveen - The new Dutch Superpower?

• Thread starter Thread starter Masoaoki
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 5K

Masoaoki

Reaction score
Hi! This is my second attempt at a story here after trying a PSG youth story in a similar vein to Sam91's Chelsea story, however I got sacked in January, despite being top of the league and topping my champions league group, because I lost in cup...

So here it is and I have chosen sc Heerenveen!
I'm aiming to do either monthly or bi-monthly updates, I haven't decided which yet.

View attachment 362915

On July 1st 2012, Marco van Basten decided to resign from his role of manager at Heerenveen due to what he complained was 'insufficient backing from the board' after being given a transfer budget of £2.6m and being told that in a year one of his star players, Filip Djuricic, shall be leaving to join Benfica. Heerenveen decided that this was the time to try something new then and hired little known Mexican manager Mason Alvarez.

Alvarez, only 25 years old, steps into his new job, his first real managerial job, seemingly full of capabilities having qualified with high marks on all his coaching courses and bringing some experience from his work as the U20 manager at his childhood team Chivas. Alvarez himself is a former player like his predecessor however his career was tragically cut short when he joined Porto 5 years ago and within 2 weeks was struck on the thigh with a full power Hulk free kick, which instantly shattered his bone and forced him to retire as it would never recover properly. Upon receiving the opportunity Alvarez had this to say:

"I am delighted to be hired here at Heerenveen, it really is a dream come true to be able to make my first step into management with a team with such a rich history for developing young players. I aim to continue this tradition and bring Heerenveen, and the Dutch league, back to where it belongs, the top of European football"

Upon his arrival, Alvarez quickly set out 3 players already at Heerenveen who he believed would be his team's stars for the forthcoming season:

View attachment 362923

"Jeffrey is a fantastic young defender who I believe has the capabilities to be a future regular within the Dutch national team, I believe he is already one of the finest defenders in the league and shall be looking for him to lead our defence in this season"

View attachment 362924

"Although Alfread has just arrived here it has already become clear to me that he is a deadly finisher of the ball and I'm looking for him to lead the line for us this season in a similar way to which he did at his previous clubs"

View attachment 362925

"Despite the fact that Filip will be leaving next summer, I believe he still has a major role to play in our team for the following season. He is a brilliant passer of the pall and has unbelievable technique for someone so young, I think he can propel us to a fine league position in his final season here"

Since his appointment at Heerenveen, 22 days have passed and Heerenveen have played their only friendly of the summer against Anderlecht, as well as this. 3 players have been brought in, 3 have left and Alvarez has finally displayed what his tactics for the forthcoming season shall be:

sc Heerenveen 1 - 1 Anderlecht
Finnbogason

A decent start against a team in the Champions League for the forthcoming season, can't have any complaints really as position by position they are probably stronger than us.

Here's my 3 signings:

View attachment 362948

Really happy I managed to get Jali to agree to join Heerenveen, really suprised as well to be honest as PSV were sniffing around him too. He'll go straight into the first team (obviously) as he is by far our best deep-lying playmaker. Only cost £2.5m too!

View attachment 362949

He didn't want to join at first but with some gentle persuasion I managed to bring in Uzochukwu from Danish side FC Midtyland (close enough). Again he goes straight into the first team as a Ball-winning midfielder. Another cheap signing at £1.6m

View attachment 362951

Finally there's Ricardo Centurion who's come in on loan from Racing Club in Argentina, I have the option to make it permanent after the season for £3m but I think I'll see how he develops first before making a decision, probably around March next year I'll make my final decision.

Below is my overall transfers for the window so far, there's still one or two more players I'm looking at but most of my major targets (Willems and Maher are the major two) won't want to join us for a couple of years atleast.

View attachment 362950

Here's the tactic I'm using too:

View attachment 362962

This is a pretty standard formation that I use in most of my saves, occasionally I'll make it a 4-2-3-1 by pushing one of the centre mids upto CAM or put one of them back to being a CDM but I think I'll stick with it like this this time. I've decided to go for BPDs too as I hope it will help us play good football from the back forwards however if this doesn't work out I'll just swap them back to normal CBs.

In the Europa League 3rd qualifying round we have been drawn against Olympija of Slovenia and we have VVV-Venlo to start off our league season soon too.

Next update will be August and possibly December. Thanks for reading!​

Nice story, good luck!
I love playing with Heerenven too :)

August 2012

2 more players come in, 1 more leaves permanently, 4 leave on loan.
European Qualifiers
Shaky start to the league season.

Straight onto the results since both of my signings came in once this month's games were over:

Heerenveen 3 - 0 Olympija (Europa League Qualifying)
van La Parra, de Ridder, Amoah

A decent start to my reign as we comfortably beat our opposition however we are expected to lose the away game to them..

Heerenveen 2 - 2 VVV-Venlo
Finnbogason (pen), Marecek

Disappointing start to the league season here, we should be winning these games. Glad to see us not lose though after falling behind twice

Olympija 3 - 1
Heerenveen (Europa League Qualifying)
Amoah

After taking the lead here and looking very comfortable, we just collapsed and I have to say I'm glad to just get through to the next round of qualifying where we will play Zeljeznicar of Bosnia, which should be considerably easier than Olympija.

Ajax 2 - 0
Heerenveen

We got battered, as I expected. End of story really.

Heerenveen 1 - 1 AZ Alkmaar
Uth

Really disappointed to draw this game as we were comfortable and they scored in the 93rd minute... We should've won again and our disappointing start to the league season continues.

Zeljeznicar 1 - 2 Heerenveen (Europa League Qualifying)
de Ridder, Finnbogason (pen)

A decent victory here, sets us up nicely for the second leg in front of our own fans, which we should win comfortably really.

NAC Breda 0 - 0
Heerenveen

I don't know what's going on in the league but we're just not turning up, Finnbogason has been a massive disappointment so far, as has Djuricic who has already been forced out of the team by de Ridder. That says it all really for those 2.

Heerenveen 2 - 0 Zeljeznicar (Europa League Qualifying)
Centurion, Uzochukwu

The first game since our first game against Olympija where we've played how I've wanted us to play. A very good victory which gets us into the group stages for the Europa League, so who would we draw?

Our Group is:
Braga
Lazio
Heerenveen
Luzern

Not the easiest group but then again not the most difficult and as I'm quite confident that this is just a slow start to the season and we'll improve rather quickly, I believe we can qualify from this as we should be on par with Braga, Lazio may be a bit too good at the moment though.

So as I mentioned earlier, we signed two more players before the end of the transfer window and a few more left, who were these new people I hear you ask, well here they are:

View attachment 363285

Steeven Joseph-Monrose is a player I've wanted to manage for a while due to his rather brilliant physical attributes but just never got around to buying, he'll slot straight into the first team on the right wing, where I see him staying permanently to be honest although his versatility is a brilliant asset for us. A bargain at £1.6m

View attachment 363286

Now this lad is the definition of a bargain, already a decent looking defender Milosevic cost me a meagre £1m from AIK in his native Sweden. Not sure if he'll be an automatic starter but he'll be in or around the first team

No real player of the month as well, they all sucked!

I also forgot to take a picture of the table but I think we were 15th at the end of August.

Until next time!​

Back