Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Reaction score
This thread, like the entire section, is only temporary until the new site lay out is finished and the blog system in place. It might be some time yet, so I thought I would get started now.

Hopefully this will have a fair few followers by the time the blog system is up and running.

Not sure where I plan to go with this apart from an interesting story that will lead from Europe to perhaps Australia? Hope you enjoy and I appreciate feedback and comments regarding poor grammar and spelling.

Prologue

55 Minutes gone.’ Martin throws it out quickly to the full back Lewington, he surges forward and picks out Jamal Johnson on the right flank who is quickly doubled up by the Wycombe Wonderers defence.

The rain is lashing down here at the National Hockey stadium but the playing surface seems to be holding up’.

‘Johnson finds Leven in the centre but he miss-controlled the ball and loses it to the powerful Leon Johnson’.

Kris Jackson sighed and shook his head in disgust at Peter Leven’s poor concentration, which very nearly led to Wycombe scoring a priceless goal on the counter. They had been on the back foot the entire game and The Dons had been knocking on the door for 58 minutes before Wycombe’s first real threat to David Martin.

‘How the **** can this clown get his game in front of me?’ Jackson vented his frustrations to manager Paul Ince. He didn’t often speak out of turn to a figure of authority, or anyone else for that matter, but since his bosman transfer to Milton Keynes two years ago, he has found himself a bit part player.

2008 - Newly appointed Roberto Di Matteo and his Assistant Eddie Newton had decided to follow up on a personal recommendation by former Scottish international Colin Cameron and invite the former Glasgow Rangers trainee to a four week trial, Despite offers from Fife side Dunfermline, Lanarkshire side Hamilton and a reduced wage offer from current club Raith Rovers, he choose the substantially better wages of League 1 than the Scottish Premier League or First Division.

Jackson was happy with Kirkcaldy side Raith Rovers, they had just won promotion to the Bells First Division. A season in which he won both players player and Fans player of the season, However with his contract expiring and Raith Rovers poor financial state, Jackson sought a new club and a new challenge.

Life as a lower league footballer is not easy. Far from the riches of wags and fast paced lifestyles of a premiership footballer. Jackson settled for an adequate wage that got him by and he considered his Black Hyundai Ix35 to be an item of great luxury.

The move to Milton Keynes was bold and frightening for Jackson, he still reminisced over his failed move to Glasgow Rangers from Motherwell youth at the age of 17, much to the distaste of his manager at the time, Willie Pettigrew. Pettigrew, a Scotland international of 5 caps was very fond of Jackson. He reminded him of the late Phil O’Donnell in his early years at the Fir Park club; Jackson was tireless and didn’t know the meaning of defeat. This attracted the Glasgow giants and promises of success and grand allure proved to be too much to keep Jackson in North Lanarkshire.

Alas, it was not to be with the giants of Scottish football. A knock to his left knee, two weeks after his arrival left him out of play for 7 weeks. Upon his return Jackson struggled with form, confidence and the ability to adapt to the new training methods of the Rangers staff, he longed to be back at Motherwell with his friends.

At the age of 21, after a few loan spells with Queens Park and Albion Rovers, he was released.

65 minutes gone. He sat and thought about his time in Kirkcaldy, wondering if he made the right choice in leaving the Scottish minnows. He was playing week in, week out, adored by the fans, (even if there wasn’t many about) and most importantly enjoying his football.

The year he spent with Di Matteo was a good one, he learned a lot about the game from the former Italy international. He had a great respect for the man, the style of play he tried to bring and most importantly his respect of his players. Managing 30 starting appearances, Jackson helped the controversial side achieve a place in the play offs before injury kept him out of the semi-final defeat to Scunthorpe.

Di Matteo soon left for the championship with West Brom and Jackson fell out of favour with Paul Ince who returned to the club for a second spell.

This was game number 34, so far Jackson had only managed 8 starts and 13 substitute appearances.

78 minutes gone. ‘Jackson, get stripped, you’re going on’ cried Ince.

‘Substitute Kris Jackson came on about 5 minutes ago now Jeff, his 14 substitute appearance of the season. Fellow Scot Peter Leven was unimpressive and has seemed asleep for most of today’s match, Ince will be hoping Jackson can re capture his form from last sea….OHHHHH’

90 Minutes gone (7 minutes injury time) ‘Well Jeff, it’s sickening, a sloppy pass from Luke Chadwick had Jackson chasing it down and he JUST got to the ball before Wycombe defender Leon Johnson but he had already went in, full momentum and had no way of stopping himself, he has taken Jackson clean out, It looks as though he blacked out and the medical team have taken him away to Milton Keynes general hospital. The Dons are down to ten men after using all three subs and with 7 minutes injury time remaining, the score is 0-0’

Last edited:
Glad to see you're writing again kris, I'll be following as always. I had to give in to temptation and start my story too, it seems the blog system may take a while to implement. Nice back story so far, I'm looking forward to it

Glad to see you're writing again kris, I'll be following as always. I had to give in to temptation and start my story too, it seems the blog system may take a while to implement. Nice back story so far, I'm looking forward to it

Thanks :) I tried my best but feel I may have written too much and some might lose interest. The title kind of gives away how this season is going to turn out but the back story is needed.

Good to see you starting a new story, I thoroughly enjoyed the last one. Very impressive start too - I'm gripped! There aren't any bad mistakes with spelling and grammar, but seeing as you asked I had a second look through to see :p The only things that could maybe be corrected would be replacing "wasn't" with "weren't" in this sentence: "even if there wasn’t many about", and you forgot to put 'th' after 14 (but I think that's just a typo!). So nothing really, it's a very good start and I'll be following. Hopefully I'll manage to wait til the blog system is implemented before starting my own, but I'm becoming impatient...

Edit - Regarding the length, I think it's fine. Granted you may lose some followers, but the literate ones who actually enjoy reading more than 10 words and appreciate the work put into it will follow.

Thanks :) I tried my best but feel I may have written too much and some might lose interest. The title kind of gives away how this season is going to turn out but the back story is needed.

To be honest, you're probably better having followers who can actually be arsed to read a bit of writing ;)

Great start btw Kris.

‘How are things going?’

‘Yeah, not bad I guess, still tightens up in the cold and hurts a bit when I sit about for too long. Nothing I can’t handle’

‘Good, good. It’s been a long 18 months, eh? But we are getting there. You’re making great progress’

‘Good enough that I can start training again?’ He joked half-heartedly.

Dr Sideem Mahadi gave him a sympathetic smile and filed away his papers. It was not the first double leg break he had treated, but it was by far the worst. He knew fine well that a better doctor in a better hospital could have helped him resurrect his career as a pro footballer.

Mahadi was not a bad doctor; in fact he was a great doctor. Who had made a fine living in the private sector since he immigrated from Kolkata, India.

‘So….’ He tried to change the subject. Losing his playing career at such an early age had hit Jackson hard, it took some hard physiotherapy and a lot of hard work to get him to this stage. He was no psychiatrist, but he knew he couldn’t let him hit an emotional relapse.

‘How’s the coaching training coming along?’ he asked.

‘Excellent, I am now fully qualified. It’s just trying to find someone to hire a 26 year old. Never thought I would consider myself too young’

His agent had been instructed to find him ‘anything’. He knew the only way he was going to get ahead would be to prove himself. Not many clubs would hire a manager or even a coach at his age, regardless of qualifications.

The insurance money would not last forever and he had no intention of dipping into his savings that would lead him down a bad road. He needed a job, and fast. Football was the only thing he was qualified for, he was not profile enough to make a career in the media, coaching seemed to be the only way to go.

Having already turned down three managerial offers in India, Qatar and a coaching job in Australia. He had no plans to elope to another country, however things were getting desperate and the idea was starting to stick.

Last edited:
Good story mate KIU :D

not meaning to sound like a **** or act like a know it all I noticed a few mistakes in the OP and the post, I know its hard to get everything right when your writing so heres what I noticed not much and nothing major :p

Dunfermlane - The actual spelling is Dumfermline mate,
adored by the fans,) even if there wasn’t many about) - the bracket round the wrong way.

‘How’s the coaching training coming alone?’ he asked. - coming along :)

good work though I will follow.

Good story mate KIU :D

not meaning to sound like a **** or act like a know it all I noticed a few mistakes in the OP and the post, I know its hard to get everything right when your writing so heres what I noticed not much and nothing major :p

Dunfermlane - The actual spelling is Dumfermline mate,
adored by the fans,) even if there wasn’t many about) - the bracket round the wrong way.

‘How’s the coaching training coming alone?’ he asked. - coming along :)

good work though I will follow.

Thanks for that, I am using Word 2010 and it tends to 'correct' everything for you :(

Kris, I love your stories, probably the best story writer on the site. Fantastic work, and will certainly be following:)

Jackson sat in the departure lounge of Edinburgh Airport, take-away coffee and newspaper in hand, contemplating the medley of events that lead to him awaiting a flight at 9:45PM on a Saturday evening.

Martin Clark had the unfortunate task of finding Jackson a new job. This was indeed an odd circumstance and one that he felt uncertain on how to deal with. Lower league clubs simply didn’t have the finances available for additional staff and Jackson was neither famous enough nor experienced enough to merit a job with a reputable side. He wasn’t making things easier by rejecting the offers that had come through, all be it from sides from the footballing unknown.

Clark could understand his hesitance to elope to a foreign land; he wanted to make a name for himself, something he failed to do as a player. Clark had recently convinced him however, that on occasion, one must ‘bite the bullet’.

He had no intention of telling him that the only job offer was being described as a ‘poison chalice’ or that there was only one other front runner in for the job, the club’s assistant manager. If he didn’t get this job, he may as well give up.

‘This is the first call for passengers flying on Easyjet flight HOL23489 to Gothenburg, please have your passport’s ready for departure’

A robust women across the aisle asked

‘First visit to Sweden?’

‘Yes’ he smiled politely.

‘Are you visiting family or friends?’ she enquired.

‘Actually I have a job interview’

‘In Gothenburg?’ She persisted.

‘Halmstad actually’ he said with a distressing tone.

Last edited:
First time i've read through this and it's the type of story i love to follow, not just updates of transfers and games, there's a real story to it. Good luck with this. I will follow.

****, my planned story was going to be a Scandinavian journeyman game! Great read so far. I think the extra lengths you go to add details (like flight times and numbers) makes the story that little bit more realistic and interesting.

Thanks for that, I am using Word 2010 and it tends to 'correct' everything for you :(

I use it also so I know what you mean XD,I'm going to put it down to the fact your a hearts fan though you must be a bit backwards to support them XD good update :D

Im normally one to look at all that text and think ' forget that' and skim through, but actually decided to read it and im wanting to find out what happens next already.

Ingmar Brostróm arrived at órjans Vall just before 8:30am on Sunday morning, there were no other car’s in the staff car park. It was not normal for the club to have the staff in on a Sunday; today however, was an exception.

Brostróm assumed that since he had both, asked his office staff to work on a Sunday and giving them little over 16 hours’ notice, most of them would arrive at 9:00am and not a second earlier.

Ingmar Brostróm has only been chairman of Halmstads Bollklubb since late 2009, but has come under nothing but intense scrutiny ever since. Former chairman Johan Johqvists sudden and shocking resignation left Brostóm to pick up the pieces.

Johan Johqvist had been engaged in ‘HBK’ for 15 years, was dissatisfied with how the club take care of their young players and how to manage the development of the association. He also publically criticised the directors and Halland providence council for lack of support and ambition towards his new stadium idea’s. Shortly after, Brostróm was given a unanimous vote and elected the new chairman. Fan protests soon followed and Ingmar Brostróm immediately came under the media spotlight.

As soon as he finished opening up the club office, Brostróm sat at his desk, had a drink of his now lukewarm coffee and took a bite of his bagel he picked up on route to the stadium. He began reading the Sunday paper and immediately flicked to the back pages, a habit he picked up as a young man.

‘Halmstad in crisis’ he let out an almighty sigh as he read one of the headlines.

The Hallandsposten writer went on to claim the job was now a ‘poison chalice’ for anyone who was mad enough to work under Ingmar Brostróm and his board of minions.

‘With only a few weeks until the new season, Assistant Boss and now caretaker, Michael Svensson seems to be the only front runner and is expected to be appointed the club’s new manager, replacing the axed Lars Jacobsson.’ This angered Brostróm.

Lars Jacobsson’s contract was mutually terminated after reports of frequent substance and alcohol abuse in training and in the office. Both youth and senior players had written formal complaints about Jacobsson and two weeks into pre-season, the board had enough and took action.

He is said to have very severe personal problems, which affected his work as well as himself. The situation was sad and unavoidable.

Jacobsson agreed to leave without contract compensation, providing the allegations to his dismissal were kept internal. Both Brostróm and the board agreed that this was the best course of action. However this opened up a fresh can of worms for the media and angry supporters who cried out for change. There manager, a man who had done a moderately successful job had been unfairly dismissed, a new stadium seems a farfetched dream and the title success of 2000, was a distant memory.

He finished his bagel and looked at his wrist watch. His surprise applicant would be here in just over an hour. He contemplated the implications of hiring a recently retired foreigner in his mid twenties with no managerial experience and put away his paper, ready to start the day.

Last edited:
Kris Jackson arrived in Gothenburg just after 1:30AM GMT, 2:30AM DST. He was exhausted and in desperate need of sleep. His interview was at 10:00AM and he still had the taxi drive to Halmstad to make, he was going to need coffee.

He went to Starbucks and got himself a coffee and a Panini. The bill came to 65 kronor, he had absolutely no idea how much that was in pounds but felt uneasy paying what seemed such a large amount. He finished eating and decided to head out for a taxi.

Jackson had spent most of his flight preparing for his first interview as a football manager. As a player you prove yourself with your ability and work rate on the field, this was about talking yourself up, making someone else believe that you are the right person for the job. This was not something Jackson was used to.

As soon as he walked out of the airport, he immediately felt the cold. It was early February and he had grossly underestimated the Swedish winter. He immediately signalled for a taxi, it would be another long trip, he decided to use that time to rest before tomorrow.

Enjoyed the back story of Jacobsson's dismissal and all the little details that you seem to have researched -eg chairman story, newspaper name etc (unless you made it all up?).I do the same thing and it is surprising how long it can take.

This is virtually the only story I look out for at the minute, and although you hardly need encouragement, keep up the good work

Enjoyed the back story of Jacobsson's dismissal and all the little details that you seem to have researched -eg chairman story, newspaper name etc (unless you made it all up?).I do the same thing and it is surprising how long it can take.

This is virtually the only story I look out for at the minute, and although you hardly need encouragement, keep up the good work

Thank you :) I appreciate it. The Jacobsson story is fictional. Don't want anyone reading this and getting upset over it :)

The story regarding the previous chairman has truths to it and the newspaper is real.

I like to make sure the details are as accurate as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.