Scholes hints at World Cup regret

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 882

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes admits he "might have made the wrong decision" not taking up Fabio Capello's invitation to play for England at the World Cup.

More...

It does not matter now,we are out and now its time to look ahead and not keep thinking 'what might have been'

I doubt one player would have made a difference.

The whole team played ****.

I doubt it Scholes would have started any games so it doesn't matter

apparently he said if capello asked him insted of getting his little run around boy baldini to do it then he mite have said yes.

Capello is a busy man he can't do everything, if he really thought he would start he would have come, but he knew there was no point going to benchwarm, so he saved face.

Capello is a busy man he can't do everything, if he really thought he would start he would have come, but he knew there was no point going to benchwarm, so he saved face.

I am sure Capello can take time out of his schedule if he is asking a player to come out of retirement so that he can take him to play at the World Cup

I dont know how many agree with me, but Scholes was the missing link in that England line up. There was no mid fielder available for pass and carry it forward. Scholes would have linked perfectly like he does at United. Anyways blame idiot Erickson who made him to play as Left midfielder coz of which he retired.

I dont know how many agree with me, but Scholes was the missing link in that England line up. There was no mid fielder available for pass and carry it forward. Scholes would have linked perfectly like he does at United. Anyways blame idiot Erickson who made him to play as Left midfielder coz of which he retired.

I think Lampard was expected to be that link..

apparently he said if capello asked him insted of getting his little run around boy baldini to do it then he mite have said yes.
not quite true. scholes isnt the kind player to turn something down purely because the gaffer didnt ask him. it was because he was given just hours to think about, and it wasnt enough time.

Asked if two hours was little time to make a major decision, he said: "That's what I thought.
"That's why I probably said no, not just because he had given me a couple of hours to think about it but the fact I needed a bit more time.
"I am not saying it definitely would have been (yes) in that case but I think it might have been. I did not expect it the call. It wasn't even on my mind.
"It wasn't until a week before the tournament you start seeing all the build up and thought maybe I made the wrong decision.
"I am not saying I would have made a difference. I am just saying it was a chance to play in the World Cup and I turned it down. I don't look back and think it didn't go well for England because I didn't go.
"Would I have joined up if Capello had called me?
"I don't know. Maybe it might have meant more."

Wouldn't have been a great way of 'going out' anyway. Don't see Scholes changing how the team played massively.

Dont know whether its the time to bump or not, this is what i said. There is no English mid fielder who can link like scholes. His passing was out of this world and thats what England missed. Someone who can dictate the tempo and keep midfield ticking.

Back