Scotty's Guide to the Very Basics of Defending

Scotty98TR

Reaction score
I've seen alot of people complaining about leaking tons of goals, hardly ever keeping a clean sheet. I have also seen people at the other end of the scale, hardly ever conceding, but struggling to score. (And of course, everyone in between :))

I'd consider myself fairly good at the defensive side of tactics, (being a centre-back myself for my local team helps of course! :p), and in most of my saves my teams are usually based on being difficult to break-down, with defending the main priority of the team; and 75% of the time I end the season as conceding the league's fewest!

Of course, with bigger clubs (I always do an Arsenal save), I can usually afford to concentrate on outscoring the opposition)

There are of course several different ways of having a successful defence But it all depends on having the right players, and getting the right balance between attack and defence There is no point playing a high line if all your defenders are as slow as Mertesacker, and equally there is no point playing a deep line if none of your players can head the ball.

So here is a quick guide showing the advantages and disadvantages of the 2 main choices you are faced with when creating your tactic.

Position of the Defensive-Line

Deep:

Pros:

• Less space for opposing fast players to run into.
  • Less space for through-balls.
  • If a player is good at dribbling and beat's one of your defenders, they are less likely to have a clear run at goal.

Cons
:
  • Leaves more space in midfield for the opposing team to pass the ball around, and look for a killer pass.
  • Invites crosses from the other team, so if your team can't head the ball/the other team have players than are good in the air, you are more likely to concede from crosses.
  • Invites more players from the other team forward, so there will not be space to pass the ball out from the back.
  • If you are losing or drawing in a match you need to win, it is will take longer for your team to get the ball, and will be easier for the other team to keep it and time waste.

Summary
:
Using a deeper line means it will be harder for your team to keep the ball when won, and it will take more time to get the ball back. This means you are going to either play long balls over the top of the other team, or good ball carriers to get through the defence Therefore, if you are a team that likes to keep possession with short passes, this defence will limit your attacking capability.

However, if you have a lack of pace in your defence, or your defender's are good in the air (E.g. Stoke), this tactic will be well suited to your team!

Also, if your a playing against a quick team who are not particularly good at crossing or headers (E.g. Arsenal), this will prevent the other team playing as they wish.

High:

Pros:

• Less space in midfield for the other team to pass it around.
  • Your team will win the ball back quicker.
  • If the opposing attackers are slow, and the other team generally get their goals through crossing and headers, this will prevent them from playing early crosses or long balls over the top.
  • More of your players will be higher up the pitch when you get the ball back, resulting in more opportunities to pass it and create better chances.
  • Gives less chances for the other team to time-waste, due to them having less space to pass it around.
  • The other team is more likely to make a mistake (E.g. a misplaced pass, or a defender running straight into your players) near their goal, because of more of your players positioned nearer to their box most of the time.
  • A generally more attacking strategy.
  • More likely to catch opposing players out for offside.

Cons:

• More space for the other team to run into, especially fast players.
  • More room for killer through-balls from the other team, splitting your defence open.
  • Once one of your defenders are beaten (Either by a through ball or by someone skinning them) the attacker is going to have much more space and time to score, and there is likely to be a covering player from your team to mop thing up.
  • You will be much more open to counter-attacks, due to having more players up the pitch.

Summary
:
"Bigger" team's are more suited to this, due to your defenders needing to have high concentration, positioning and speed attributes. You will have players free to pass it around, whilst squeezing the other team to stop them being able to pass it around. However, it means without the right defenders, your team will be extremely weak to through balls and good dribblers, whilst you will also be more open to counter-attacks.
Also, it prevents players being able to cross the ball as much, because they will first have to beat the line without being called for offside.

Closing Down:

More Closing Down:

Pros:

• Your team will get the ball back quicker.
  • Opposing players will have less time and space on the ball to pick the best pass.
  • Makes the other team's players more likely to make a mistake.
  • Slower opposition players will struggle to get away from your defenders.
  • Your team will get the ball back closer to the opposing box.
  • Makes it harder for the other team to retain the ball, and makes it harder for them to time-waste.
  • Your players will be higher up the pitch when you do win the ball.

Cons:

• Your defenders will be dragged out of position, leaving space for opposition to get into.
  • Good dribblers will be able to draw your player in then beat him.
  • Your team will be more open to through-balls or long balls over the top for other teams to get into.
  • Your players will get tired quicker, and will have to run around more.
  • A good passing team will be able to create lots of space in your defence by passing it, waiting for your defenders to get near, then switching play to the other side of the pitch.

Summary
:
You players will need good stamina and work rate, and will need to be fast in order to get back into position quickly. You will get the ball back quicker and in a more attacking position, with more of your players already higher up the pitch. Other team's players will be more rushed and have less time to make a good decision, leading to more mistakes by them. However, good team's will be able to dribble or pass it around your players, creating lots of space for them to exploit.

Less Closing Down:

Pros:

• Your team will be more patient, and wait for the other team to make a mistake before trying to get the ball back.
  • You will give players who are good at dribbling and good at beating a man more space, but you will stop them having a clear run at goal, and they won't be able to get past your player as easy, instead being forced into better positions (For you), or have to pass it off to a team mate.
  • There will be less space for quick players to get into, or for long balls over the top.
  • Because your players will be more patient, they will not have to cover as much distance, so it will take longer for them to tire.
  • Your players will remain in the shape more, making it harder for the other team to create, and get the ball into, space.
  • The other team will be more likely to pass it around in midfield and at the back, meaning they will have less penetration and thus create less opportunities for them to score.

Cons:

• It will take longer to win the ball back for your team.
  • Your opponents will have more time and space on the ball, allowing them to make better decisions.
  • Due to having more time, they are also less likely to make a mistake that will lead to a goal.
  • Although faster opposing players will be less effective because of the lack of space, slower players will be able to take their time and create damage.
  • You are less likely to win the ball back high up the pitch, so it will take more time to create opportunities, and consequently less of them.

Summary:
Other teams will be able to retain possession and take their time to create good scoring chances, but you will be less prone to mistakes by your defenders, and there will be less all-important space for the other team to take advantage of. Fast players will not be as effective, but players who can dictate the tempo and find a pass which rips your team to pieces will have more time to do so.

Defender Roles:
This was requested in the comments below, so I thought I may aswell add it to the rest of the guide! :)
Good explanation it helped me :). Would you mind explaining what defender roles are good and what situations they are best used in? Like for example Stoppers, Limited Defenders etc.

Thanks!
All three defenders roles are very similar, the difference is how much they will look to bring the ball out from the back and pass it around. So Limited Defenders are one end of the scale (They will very rarely try to pass it around, prefering to either lay it of to a close by team mate, or hoof it upfield.

Your standard Central defender will occasionally pass it, but will generally also look to lay it off to a nearby team mate, whilst a Ball-Playing Defender will carry the ball into midfield and look for a killer-pass most of the time.

Which of these roles you use should depend entirely on the player in question, along with your chosen passing style. If you want to get the ball out from the back as fast as possible, or your defenders have very low passing, composure and technique, you should choose to use him as a Limited defender.
Likewise, if you have a player like Pique, who has good above mentioned attributes, or you want to play out from the back, then you should pick to have a BPD. And of course, if your defenders are somewhere in the middle, then make him a standard CD.

However, I wouldn't recommend having more than one BPD, as your defence may get caught out too often either attempting a difficult pass, or neither centre-back stays behind. Either of this leave lots of space in front of your box, and you will likely concede.

Whether you have the player as a Stopper, Covering or standard defensive player depends mainly on your overall tactic, but also on the player you are using.

As the FM description says, a Covering player will drop behind the d-line to get the ball when it get's past the rest of the defence, and to cover opposition players making runs in behind. Covering players are best used when your are playing a deep line, as playing them with a high line will mean they will keep the opposition onside when the CB drops backwards. It would also be a good idea to make sure you have a defensive CM or DM in front of them in order to provide cover.

A Stopper will do the opposite, he will look to close players down before they get to your d-line. The best way to think of him is as halfway between a CB and a DM. As opposed to the Covering duty, this is more for when you are playing a high-line, against creative and fast opponents (Like Messi, Ozil, Cazorla, etc.), when you don't have a DM to close them down. Whilst this allows you to have more attacking midfielders, it will cause the weaknesses that I described in the "More Closing Down" section above!

Finally, a Defend player will do neither, he will try stay in line with the rest of the d-line, and will perform the standard CB duties.
I would say to always have one of your players on this duty, especially if you are playing the offside trap. If you don't have one, there will be a big space either infront of the covering defenders, behind the stoppers, or inbetween the 2 if you have one of each. The latter in paticular is very dangerous to do, as it leaves space in probably the most dangerous area on the ***** (Barring the box of course) - "the Hole"!

IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD,
OR YOU HAVE ANY POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK,
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!

I know the presentation of this guide is not the best, and I might be looking to improve this and add a few pictures when I have time :D

Last edited:
No feedback/comments at all? :'(

Away until Saturday though, so I'll only be on a couple of times until then, so if you do reply and I don't answer, that's why :)

Good explanation it helped me :). Would you mind explaining what defender roles are good and what situations they are best used in? Like for example Stoppers, Limited Defenders etc.

Thanks!
All three defenders roles are very similar, the difference is how much they will look to bring the ball out from the back and pass it around. So Limited Defenders are one end of the scale (They will very rarely try to pass it around, prefering to either lay it of to a close by team mate, or hoof it upfield.

Your standard Central defender will occasionally pass it, but will generally also look to lay it off to a nearby team mate, whilst a Ball-Playing Defender will carry the ball into midfield and look for a killer-pass most of the time.

Which of these roles you use should depend entirely on the player in question, along with your chosen passing style. If you want to get the ball out from the back as fast as possible, or your defenders have very low passing, composure and technique, you should choose to use him as a Limited defender.
Likewise, if you have a player like Pique, who has good above mentioned attributes, or you want to play out from the back, then you should pick to have a BPD. And of course, if your defenders are somewhere in the middle, then make him a standard CD.

However, I wouldn't recommend having more than one BPD, as your defence may get caught out too often either attempting a difficult pass, or neither centre-back stays behind. Either of this leave lots of space in front of your box, and you will likely concede.

Whether you have the player as a Stopper, Covering or standard defensive player depends mainly on your overall tactic, but also on the player you are using.

As the FM description says, a Covering player will drop behind the d-line to get the ball when it get's past the rest of the defence, and to cover opposition players making runs in behind. Covering players are best used when your are playing a deep line, as playing them with a high line will mean they will keep the opposition onside when the CB drops backwards. It would also be a good idea to make sure you have a defensive CM or DM in front of them in order to provide cover.

A Stopper will do the opposite, he will look to close players down before they get to your d-line. The best way to think of him is as halfway between a CB and a DM. As opposed to the Covering duty, this is more for when you are playing a high-line, against creative and fast opponents (Like Messi, Ozil, Cazorla, etc.), when you don't have a DM to close them down. Whilst this allows you to have more attacking midfielders, it will cause the weaknesses that I described in the "More Closing Down" section above!

Finally, a Defend player will do neither, he will try stay in line with the rest of the d-line, and will perform the standard CB duties.
I would say to always have one of your players on this duty, especially if you are playing the offside trap. If you don't have one, there will be a big space either infront of the covering defenders, behind the stoppers, or inbetween the 2 if you have one of each. The latter in paticular is very dangerous to do, as it leaves space in probably the most dangerous area on the ***** (Barring the box of course) - "the Hole"!

Just d-line and closing downs, nothing more?

No, as I said at the start; This is just the very basics and the 2 main parts of the defence (Which will generally not vary too much in your tactic), whereas the smaller details will vary from match to match, and depending on who is in your starting XI at the time :).

thanks mate, this has inspired me to create a tactic with a sweeper.

im going to play:

1. high defensive line
2. close down more
3. more aggressive tackling
4. counter attack on
5. both CBs will be BPD stoppers, so they can storm out, get the ball and then looks for a killer pass over the top.
6. im going to play a reallly quick sweeper behind them all and have him learn 'stay back at all times'

or....do you think a sweeper keeper on support/attack would be better? because then i have 1 more player up the pitch?

Excellent thread! Although I think I've got the basics down, it's easy to mix it up and confuse yourself ;)
It always helps to have it point by point, with pros and cons.
I hereby pronounce this thread bookmarked...

Excellent thread! Although I think I've got the basics down, it's easy to mix it up and confuse yourself ;)
It always helps to have it point by point, with pros and cons.
I hereby pronounce this thread bookmarked...

Cheers, always happy to help! :D

I know your thread is old, but i'm still playing fm13, so I hope you are still interested in answering a few questions

I have created a very explosive tactic that works particular well in offense, but the defense is leaking. I would like to make the tactic stronger vs pacey strikers here's the screenshot of the tactic and its roles. hope you can help :)

This is the tactic thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...3-jesaustralia-best-tactic-ive-seen-fm13.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=615096

Here's the team instruction's:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=615097

Also I would like to ask you how you develope a Defenders quickness - Do you train poacher for a defender?
I'm not happy training just quickness I usually use one of the schedules like Complete forward for strikers - Midfielders and Defensive midfielders - what do you do?