Scout reports, Are they useful at all or just bs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Reggaezal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 2K

Reggaezal

Reaction score
Ive looked at the player scout reports and realise about 90% of the players i scouted come out about the same 2.5 / 3 star potential rating. These players do infact turn out to be great players. So whats the verdict from you guys, do you trust the scouts? i hardly found any 4 star potential players, even the FM babies sakho and bojan got 3 stars if im not wrong.

personally i think there complete pish. i just go with my instincts :)

they vary, most of my scouts are excellent so my reports tend to be pretty bang on, though i often go with my gut, but like real life they are not going to 100% bang on

If you have a big team,like barcelona or man utd,the reports are mostly based on the team's rep.3 stars is a quite good rating,but if you manage lower rep teams,like birmingham,the potential ability will be evaluated with more stars,possibly with 4 or 5 stars.
As a result,the best scout is GENIE SCOUT!

I don't usually listen to scouts at all; I use them to find the stats of the player, then decide myself.

I look at their abilities, predict how good they will be then decide. I might use my scout as a back idea for me.

I just use them to let me look at their attributes and also the buying price. No point in trusting what they say.

The potential stars are way off most of the time. Otherwise they are quite useful, remember that your assistant team report is not foolproof it relies on his stats. There is also ton of useful stuff like personality professionalism, asking price, his interest, injury proneness etc etc. I very rarely sign players without getting a report first.

Do the potential rating's stars change by much? Ive seen some pretty promising players and the scout is telling me i could do better. But i bought the kid and he has been in a fist fight with my star for a starting lineup.

Genie scouts take the fun out of the game imo. its bad enough i use scouts to find future prospects.

Do the potential rating's stars change by much? Ive seen some pretty promising players and the scout is telling me i could do better. But i bought the kid and he has been in a fist fight with my star for a starting lineup.

Genie scouts take the fun out of the game imo. its bad enough i use scouts to find future prospects.
Most of the time, scouts are way off on the potential ratings. So if a scout recommends a player with a 2.5 star potential, chances are, it's much better than that. Also noteworthy is the current market value for such hot prospects to help you get a clearer idea.

While I agree that using Genie Scout is going a bit far, I don't understand your distaste for in-game scouts.

Last edited:
I only trust reports from 1 Scout, Steve Rowley.. I always try sign him and if can't, then I just go with my instinct.

i only scout regens. ive played this game enough to already know how most players turn out lol

scouts are awful,

They give me a guideline, I follow it.. Take a closer look at his stats/goal record... sometimes look at his ratings...

Buying price and salary is about the only good info they give

There are two other things which they are good at, things with which even the Genie scout can't help you:

- Whether or not will they be interested in joining me. I am new and ManU have just offered me the manager's job, but while managing Bradford and Portsmouth, this information was very useful.
- Whether or not they will get a work permit. I am not sure if their assessment in this matter is alright, but whenever I have ignored it, I have not got the permit.
- For a newbie like me who doesn't know the balance between technical, physical and especially mental attributes, sometimes the advice of the scout can be very valuable. I wasn't convinced that Ochoa was going to be a much better GK than Fernando Henrique, but my scout said so very clearly. I trusted him and he was right - Ochoa is way better!

Theonly things I really lok at are injury proneness and adptability in scouting reports-they tend to be spot on

I don't have the same problems some people are mentioning about potential. Your own judgement on attributes plus scouts advice should give you a pretty good idea of a player's future. Don't forget, I think when the scout says "currently playing close to his full potential" it's really misleading. They should not have used that wording, normally the player can still improve quite a bit but is probably already fairly good for his level. If they can't improve they will just say the more obvious "won't improve" message or the "some way off" message if they won't improve enough to be worth it.

Also, like was already said, the number of stars given is related to your team's league/stature/current player quality/etc (I don't know exactly what it is, but you get the idea). When I want to know the potential, I just compare the difference between current and potential star ratings and use his current stats to make my own judgement. If he's got a good base of the stats needed for his position and can improve, even just by half a star, he's worth at least a closer look. Half a star is a pretty good improvement actually.

I've read (in the in-game tips) that scouts give more accurate reports the more times they scout a player. If you're willing to wait a few weeks in-game, try the scout for 3 matches option if you're undecided about a young prospect; I'm sure it will be a more accurate indication of potential. I've never bothered though

i always found the scouts inconsistant and opinionated and dont hold alot weight in their advice.

Think for thy self. Scout yourself using stats and ratings and put bargain value over rep. names

Back