ADAMTURNER

Reaction score
How do you guys scout, because I feel I'm pretty poor at scouting, I scout the big competitions and leagues, but im wondering how you guys find wonderkids and regens? do you have all of the nations and lower leagues active? and also is there a way to unmask potential and just see it for what it is not relying on your scouts ability.

I find that the scouting system in FM16 is very poor so I don't bother with it and use FM Scout to find players for my team

How do you guys scout, because I feel I'm pretty poor at scouting, I scout the big competitions and leagues, but im wondering how you guys find wonderkids and regens? do you have all of the nations and lower leagues active? and also is there a way to unmask potential and just see it for what it is not relying on your scouts ability.
Couple things you'll hear a lot if you read about scouting:
Regen dates for youth players for major countries. Every country has a set date when regents are produced, so manually going through the youth teams of clubs with good youth setups help.
Manually searching U19 and U21 national teams.
Hiring scouts with varied knowledge to increase scouting knowledge.
Affiliate clubs that either have good youth programmes or wide scouting knowledge.
Good roaming scouts: adaptability, determination, judging player ability and potential would be key.
It helps to set scouting assignments yourself as you get greater control over the search.

Edit: A guide of sorts: www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-scouting-regions-nations-youth-rating
More can be found there in regards to scouting.

Last edited:
I find that the scouting system in FM16 is very poor so I don't bother with it and use FM Scout to find players for my team

I agree with that and I really hope that SI will change it in FM17

I always look in the Fiorentina & AC Milan youth teams on or just after the regen date for ITaly as they have some belters in there every season.

im too lazy to manually browse nationals U21 or U19, so i kinda dont mind FM16 scouting engine.

i mostly send each one to hot prospect ongoing scouting for certain region where i have selected playable leagues (i mostly play with 20+ chosen leagues and around 50-60 divisions).

set current ability to 1 star, and potential to 1.5-2.5. then when reports come, shortlist all the players between 15-18 y old. and those with 2+ stars rating in potential ability. Ofc, i bring good scouts b4 i do that (determination, player potential and ability seem to me like key atributes if you wanna catch a good regen), leave scouting at "ongoing" so you constantly get new reports when new regens emerge.

hope this helps :)

I'm using FM Scout to find players because I find that the scouting system in the game is lame... I just can't make myself use it...

I find signing scouts from different nations helps a lot at improving scouting knowledge, I check under 19 national sides and scout all their players and also I generally just let my chief scout set assignments, it works well for me

for me works fine. put 6 or 7 scouts scouting youth competitions, and they can scout many players for you

usually, I have 12-14 scouts that have nationalities of major football nations and it helps me find the best regens

Sometimes if I am in a lower league team and the scouting system is not great, I go and scout myself. I just go to different teams and different countries and look at players they have. one by one :) ..... someone has to do it.