Searching for solid defense, efficient attack

esab

Reaction score
Ok hello everybody, i have a big problem of stolen games, I play with Wolverhampton, it's my second season, I finished the first somethin like 10th, and I'm 17th at the half of the 2nd season despite solid renforcement.

I usually use a 4-4-2 tactic or a 4-1-1-2-2 tactic and use different styles within opponents and situation.

And most of my games I play better than my opponent, got more shots, more possession, more

opportunities but I'm 5W 1 13L ( 23 goals 35 goals against )
Most of the time the game says I didn't deserve to loose but the result is what it counts...

My players morale is excellent, I think my attack is not the main problem, but my defense is always awfull ( my two starters are Paillot and Burdisso ), I tried many options but there is always one or two huge mistake per game, and one or the two defenders got 5 grades.

I'm really desperate, particulary because I didn't have this problem the first season, in this one no matter how good I am I always loose.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Play the Ball-Playing/Limited Defender partnership.
  • Try a Stopper/Cover combination between your BPD and your LD.
  • Play a deeper defensive line for counter-attacking.
  • Play a higher defensive line for offside trapping.
  • Try to play a simpler Support/Defend Combo between your central midfielders.
  • Focus more on wing play.
  • Play an attacking Target Man if you have one striker upfront.
  • Play a supporting Target Man and a Poacher if playing two strikers.
  • Try to implement an Advanced Playmaker.
  • Set your fullbacks to Automatic.
  • Try to set the play on slow tempo,rarely time waste.

• Play the Ball-Playing/Limited Defender partnership.
  • Try a Stopper/Cover combination between your BPD and your LD.
  • Play a deeper defensive line for counter-attacking.
  • Play a higher defensive line for offside trapping.
  • Try to play a simpler Support/Defend Combo between your central midfielders.
  • Focus more on wing play.
  • Play an attacking Target Man if you have one striker upfront.
  • Play a supporting Target Man and a Poacher if playing two strikers.
  • Try to implement an Advanced Playmaker.
  • Set your fullbacks to Automatic.
  • Try to set the play on slow tempo,rarely time waste.

I already do all the green things, Wing play and slow tempo depends of my opponents.

Give us some more information to work with, give us a screenie of your team tactics and players. You might be playing a too high defensive line for your defenders, or something simple.

efficient attack, get Yannis Tafer.. efficient defender? get mexes or something :p

Ok here some screens of my tactics and players ( I usually go with Milijas rather than Tiago but he's injured ), Burdisso is the stopper and Paillot the cover defenser, hope it could help :

Sorry for the 2 posts in a row but another typical stolen game, I had clearly dominate the whole game, I got 55% possession 20 shots ( 4 long shots ), computer got 10 shots ( 6 long shots ).

I lost 2-1, I got almost 6 one on one's against their GK and scored only on time, computer scored on a free kick and a typical goal when my defender forgot to defend ( happen only one or two times a game but it's sufficient to make the computer won... ).

Here the goal :

Last edited:
Play with defensive creative freedom, and play more narrow. Have youe defenders pass it around a little, and have wingbacks run with the ball instead of play it over the top, it helps drag the opposition out of shape.

I think the stopper cover combo sucks. I with the majority of my tactics play both CB's central defender defend, i think the fact that you have tight marking, zonal/man marking and stopper/cover is too much keep it simple.

Try both defend or 1 defend 1 cover and both set to man mark if your marking tight. ( no guaruntees, just a thought).

also how arre you playing your dm? because i find dm set to zonal marking works wonders

I played most of the season with two central defenders with man mark and tight marking and it was when my D was the worst.
My dm is set to man marking, I'll try with zonal marking, it could help.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

So I played 2 games with zonal marking for the dm.

The first was a total fail, increased the number of fouls, they scored on a free kick, i got a red card, and they scored a 2nd goal. I set back my md to individual and I achieved to came back to 2-2.

The second one was one of those multiple stolen games, I completely dominated all the game ( 25 shots against 11, 5 clear cut chances... ) but they scored on a very long free kick and on a huge mistake, my strikers missed at least half a dozen of one on ones, it finished on 2-2, clearly undeserved...

Wow sorry none of the worked for you.

Just another suggestion you could try in team instructions putting team marking on man and closing down on press more, i found it gave the midfielders alot less time with the ball ultimately leaving the strikers with next to nothing the entire game.

Also for your striking missing so many chances have you taught them to place shots?

Last edited:
I kept tryin the zonal dm and it seems to work, I'll see if it keep working for the last games of the seasons.
About my strikers Doyle does place shots, Pacheco didn't achieve to learn it, and I don't know for Vokes ; anyway Doyle doesn't have more success than Pacheco and Vokes.

Here my results with the zonal md ( lol @ the friendly game, that's my highest score ever ) :

Last edited: