My defenders score more than my strikers

xelliotx

Reaction score
How do I change this? My strikers aren't bad.... just I only seem to score from corners

well you may try putting your defenders playing as forwards lol

I have a similar problem no mater who I put up front my strikers don't score as many as i would expect. Up to now I have taken Northampton from League 2 to league one in 2 season and in my 3rd season currently sitting just outside the playoffs in league 1. and in all three seasons I score lots from corners via central defenders. An extreme example of this was Oliver Lancaster scoring a hat-trick on his debut, all from corners???? lol.

I definitly have more goals from midfield and corners then from the actual strike force. My best striker only has 10 goals form 20 games my midfield though all have about 5 each as do my other 3 strikers. My Centerbacks also have about 3-5 each.

Its not like my Strikers are getting 4or 5s performance wise. They aren't getting 8+ but they are getting 6-7 every match.

Last game against Scunthorpe in the FA cup I lost 1-0 but had 22 shots and just 5 on target.

This seems to be a shot accuracy thing. I'm constantly getting large amounts of shots but lots of them missing the target.

My coaches seems to be good for a league 1 side as all my training is at least 3.5 stars and most 4 stars

My strikers apear to be good enough all the training staff list them as Good/leading league 1 with Leading league 1 or Championship potential

I don't know whether its my specific Striker training I have set up or how my tactics are

I use a pretty standard 442 just changing how we play depending on how good my opponents are which is working most of the time.

My striker training is set such that my Shooting is Intense, Attacking and ball control is on the high side of medium, Tactics are in the middle and aerobics slightly on the high side of middle and strength is also in the middle. Defending is rock bottom.

I dont necessarily want specific tactics or training downloads as I prefer to work them out myself but any tips to make my strikers more accurate with their shots and become more prolific as they should be.

I'm getting fed up with having to constantly defend my Strikers in Press conferences for goal droughts.

Last edited:
Guys,

Im pretty new to the forums but not by any means new to the game. A lot of people seem to have the same problem! For me its down to the strikers not getting the right chances and passes. In a 442 strikers seem to hold the ball up more and lay off to the midfield mostly the wingers. At least one striker needs to have the ability to go past his man or beat the offside trap or you risk turning them into playmakers.

Remember to look for strikers with good decisions , anticipation and composure. Without good decisions strikers tend to hit more crazy shots when he could have laid off a team member.

Having left/right midfielders also does nothing for me in a 442. I Like to use wingers that can beat there man and turn in. C Ronaldo and vargas are good examples of these types.

I also find that playing direct (Passing) with a couple of creative players works wonders for getting strikers to score. They tend to spot a great pass and send the striker through on goal.

But I cant really assess much without knowing exactly what kind of tactics you use. It does sound like its your tactics tho.

*** Im not saying im right, just my opinion ***