Second season syndrome or what?

• Thread starter Thread starter craiigman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1K

craiigman

Reaction score
First season went amazing for me. Only let in 19 goals all season and won the league by a fair few points. Tactically I was superb, masterclass all season long. Only 1 slip up at home to Everton.

This season has started off, I'm leaking goals all over the place. On 8 conceded in 8 games so far.

I've restarted like 4 times this season, where as last season I done it once all season (If you remember my Reading post where I was going mad!). Which I hate doing so much. Now don't get me wrong, I know I'm not going to win every game, but it's not making any sense again. Stupid results all over the place are happening, but I'm going in with the same approach that fared me so well last season.

I don't stick to the same formation every game, the media have even praised me for my unpredictability, I have 3 formations all full already and I've been doing rotating to keep things fresh.

Scouting the other team, looking for weak spots and all that stuff like last season. Setting pre match instructions based off the scouting done and my own scouting. I like to work on defensive positioning away from home against a team who plays good football (Villa, Swansea etc) even when they say Attacking. It worked for me last season nicely. Cancelled them out and grabbed wins.

This season feels like what was happening when I wasn't doing all of this stuff. The results just aren't making any sense to me.

The games I've restarted were Newcastle at home where I lost 2-0 from 2 shots on target and I had 60% possession, 20 odd shots and most on target.

3-0 away at Southampton. Again similar as above.

Aston Villa in the Carling Cup, away. This one was just pure BS all over.

And the most recent one just caused me to turn the computer off. West Brom away, they just played me off the park. Even though they've got a much weaker team and shouldn't even have a chance. Yet not only did they beat me, but they did so convincingly.

So now I'm just all out of ideas. I could understand if I used the same tactic all the time, but I don't. I rotate the squad, all the players are good enough. I scout the opposition and see where there might be any weak spots. I talk to press about young players having to play if someone is injured.

All of this worked for me last season. None of it is working now. What's the deal?

I can maybe see where I am leaking goals, a couple new full backs changes it up a little. But even when it's the same back 4 as last season, goals are going in, so that shouldn't have this kind of effect. If anything I've improved the defence from last season.

Also there is nothing more I hate doing than restarting on this game. So the fact I'm doing it shows my frustration. If it was making sense, then I'd accept the defeats, but it's not.

1. How many new players have you brought in and how many of them do you play per match?
2. How's the morale of players?

Change the match preparation to attacking because other teams are sitting deep against you because last season you had a great season.They are sitting deep and playing on counter.West Brom are a tough nut away .I usually settle for a draw with them.Long always make my defender look a fool somehow.

You should realise that you should be patient at the start of the season mate especially with new players, I finished 7th in my first season with West Brom and only brought in like 3/4 new players for the second season and my team was getting bashed for the first like 10 games we were absolute ***** won like 2 out of 10 but in the end you'll get through it and back to winning ways, thats the game its like real life it happens to all sides sometimes in the Prem

Is it possible that the other teams around you might have got better as a result of your first year?

1. How many new players have you brought in and how many of them do you play per match?
2. How's the morale of players?

1. I brought in 4 players. Berbatov, Santon, Dani Carvajal and Andre Ayew, I've only been fielding two a game because I was worried about that being a problem. Oh and De Sanctis in goal, but he very rarely plays anyway. He's only cover.

2. The lowest is "fairly good" and only 2 players have that.

Change the match preparation to attacking because other teams are sitting deep against you because last season you had a great season.They are sitting deep and playing on counter.West Brom are a tough nut away .I usually settle for a draw with them.Long always make my defender look a fool somehow.

I guess that is true. But honestly from experience I've found that happens more when I play at home, when I'm away I usually have less of the ball, even with an attacking setup.

You should realise that you should be patient at the start of the season mate especially with new players, I finished 7th in my first season with West Brom and only brought in like 3/4 new players for the second season and my team was getting bashed for the first like 10 games we were absolute ***** won like 2 out of 10 but in the end you'll get through it and back to winning ways, thats the game its like real life it happens to all sides sometimes in the Prem

I can't afford to win 2 out of 10 though. I'd get fired for that. And I understand that the new players will need to settle, but I'm only fielding 2 at a time so I can't see it being that much of a problem?

Is it possible that the other teams around you might have got better as a result of your first year?

While that is true, my team has improved massively. Not just signings but the players have all improved.

Of course I expect in your case it wouldn't be that bad as you have a much better team than I did but along those lines you can still get your form back up. I started terribly and just finished 5th so it's not impossible, just be patient with the players mate

Could try giving a team meeting at the beginning of the season to set the tone? But as people have already said, sounds like its the game is having some of your key players or whole squad just go through a rough patch for whatever reason, if the game does indeed do that which I'm convinced it does.
They say on match of the day every season that the champions are the ones who win when they're playing badly, so maybe it's just not your season :/ Persevere, it'll pass and your squad will likely bounce back to win a couple of cups or chase down the league leaders to win it at the death.
Also kudos on the rotating tactics, you're actually the first person I've seen mention that you do that; works amazingly for me.

When you start reloading then you're not going to enjoy the game, even if you win a bunch after reloading.

Sometimes you just have horror seasons, its part of the game. I'm not saying its inevitable or that the game is rigged, but perhaps your players are complacent. Morale is a huge factor in this game. You probably did so well last season because your team was on a roll and your players were all on a high. Just work your way into the season and have realistic expectations for the strength of your squad. If you feel you have players under-performing then start yelling, handing out fines and bring in competition for their jobs.

It took me about 15 league games to get my squad playing at the level I knew they should be. Last minute losses and draws were driving me nuts, but I didn't reload, I just took out my frustrations on them and brought in more talent. It's all part of the challenge and pulling off a mid-season recovery is pretty rewarding.

Back