Welsh Wizards

Reaction score
Seria A 2012

Hi thought I’d start with a brief introduction as this is our 1st blog, we have both been playing Football Manager for many years now. We have played the English Leagues to death, between us winning almost everything there is to win with lower league teams, driving them up the league and into top flight football and even Europe!!

We fancied a change of scenery so have decided on Seria A!!
So we have decided on Juventus and AS Roma, our main objective is to get theses once great teams back to the top and win the scudetto!!​

Let it begin​

Ok, Ok so lets get this out there straight away YES we have used the editor!! We are ashamed to admit it but we have, here are the ‘edits’ we have put in place:
We gave both Juve and Roma equal amount of cash £15 mil to start and slight increase in the wage bill.We have had 3 ‘cherry picks’ (3 players we can choose at will and include in our squad) which had strict rules in place.​
  • Had to be 22yrs or younger
  • And no players picked from the Italian League
After much deliberation and scouting here are the ‘cherry picks’ from both teams.​

Juventus​

Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Yann M’Villa (Rennes) and Mamadou Sakho (PSG)​

AS Roma​

Mario Gotze (Borussia Dortmund), Eden Hazard (Lille) and Phil Jones (Man Utd)

We have also included ourselves as players who we will call Attfield (Juve) a welsh/Italian ST/AMC/AML/AMR 23yrs of age & Edwards (AS Roma) a 23yr WB/RB/AMR – obviously we have not made our player stupidly good, and again we had rules in place preventing our players being worth 20-30mil.

So first season in Seria A and with Juve and Roma, first things first we had to evaluate our teams, strengths and weaknesses Etc. After doing this we hit the transfer market, both with completely different ideas, with Juve looking to strengthen his 1st team, Roma decided to look into the future and go young......

As we scoured the market for some additions to our squad we both had a chat with the media and set our goals for the coming season, Roma has set their sights on a reserved continental league placement in the league, while Juve set their sights higher with title challenge.

We played our 1st non competitive game against our reserves, we don’t usually do this but as we had limited information on our squads we decided to play this one out. As to be expected Roma started well and went on to beat the reserve team comfortably, Juve however came unstuck and went down 2-0, much to the surprise and annoyance of the manager..... I had a giggle J !!!!

Transfer market update and tactics pre season to follow
We will continue to blog throughout the season with monthly updates
You can follow our progress at @fm12_scudetto
Any tips on Seria A eg, tactics, players etc would be appreciated and any general views regarding the blog​

Last edited:
We are lucky enough to play it on one laptop in 6 to 7 hour stints but am looking to set up a network game in near future

Transfer market updates, tactics pre season and friendly’s​

Juve has splashed most of their 15 mil on Gary Cahill of Bolton, 13.75 mil for an England international centre back, good business?? Can he adapt to life in Italy?? Surely a case for transfer of the season, even this early on....

Roma manager has taken a leaf out of the kiddie fiddler of the English premier league Arsene Wenger, and is attempting raided the youth market!! With bids and contracts accepted for 2 promising young South Americans. Romario signed from Vitoria a Brazilian national 2nd​ division team for 2.7m, Romario is a attacking RB who will join the squad on 2.1.12. Carlos Fierro a young and exciting prospect from Chivas who plays in the Mexican 1st​ division will join on 24.7.12, as Roma manager I will be keeping a close eye on his development, I will probably keep u all updated with his progress. One addition to the senior squad who I believe will provide great cover to the team is Milan Badeji signed from Dynamo for 4.1mil, bit of a coupe considering the amount of interest in Badeji, with prestigious clubs including AC Milan, Deportivo de La Coruna vying for his signature.

After the run out against the reserves Roma was off to play Grosseto who we beat 1-0, with large amount of possession, Hazard, Gotze and co created a lot of chances but failed to convert the chances. The tactic I have decided to deploy is a 4-2-3-1 with a high defensive line, fluid and attacking football, short passing, more creative freedom with zonal marking. After the unconvincing result against Grosseto we then went to Brazil to play Cruzeiro not the easiest place to go, as expected Cruzerio gave us a good game with the game ending 1-1 highlight of the game was Edwards’s performance, the attacking fullback scored the winning goal popping up far post, finishing with a volley into the top corner, whilst impressed I was slightly concerned that my right back was the only player in the box, all this from a throw in on the half way line!!!​

After a surprising & disappointing loss to his reserves the Juve manager who is adamant that this formation will come good stuck by his guns and travelled to Germany to play Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim, with a good display they came away with a 3 0 win with Gary Cahill scoring on his debut. The formation used is 4-1-1-3-1 with M’Villa sitting as anchor man in front of the back four, with Muller playing as AMC alongside Pepe and Krasic with Attfield up front on his own using short passing and high tempo to attack in numbers. Up next was a testing encounter against their fierce rival A C Milan at the San Siro and got off to a dream start going 2 0 up within 15mins through goals from Pepe and Attfields first for the club eventually tiring and conceding 2 goals in last ten mins for 2 2 draw. Attfields goal especially was very well taken, losing his marker before calmly slotting the ball past the keeper from the edge of the box.

Transfer market update and more pre season games to follow

We will continue to blog throughout the season with monthly updates

You can follow our progress at @fm12_scudetto

Any tips on Seria A eg, tactics, players etc would be appreciated and any general views regarding the blog