Seriously, are clean sheets impossible?

• Thread starter Thread starter iedmunds
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3K

iedmunds

Reaction score
Ok, exaggeration in the title.

I cannot stress how much I admire Manchester United, or more so Alex Ferguson for the way he sets up his team against others, especially 'big' teams. Even against weaker teams, although it is less noticeable, the amount of men back behind the ball is immense and ridiculously hard to break down.

I have tried and tried to create something similar and hard to break down.
I find it very difficult to do so. I'd happily win 1-0 all season.
I think if I even put every player to defend duty I couldn't do it (with LL teams, which I play).

Can anyone help me to accomplish something that is at least difficult to break down at the back. any tips etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

i agree with you completely, i dunno i have tried too, all i can say is try and make sure your midfielders are set to close down in own area as well as your defenders, and maybe not running forward as much, if you have a screenie of your tactics it may help.

i did have sum success playing with two centre backs with one on zonal and the other on man marking but i think its very difficult to replicate this strategy we see man utd play into fm

Need like a 4-5-1 formation with rigid philosophy. That's worked well for me in the past.

Man Utd's style of play is fantastic despite the fact my 2nd team are Arsenal but I don't care who you are you can't help but admire Utd's play and I haven't found a way to do it myself lol

If I want clean sheets then the following setup has worked for me since FM09.

A 4-2-3-1 formation with two DMs
Poacher/trequartista/targetman attack depending on the type of forward you have
Left and right winger-normal wingers unless one of them has excellent pace, then set him as a inside forward.
AMC - attacking playmaker

I have manually set the mentality of these four players to very attacking so they won't drop to deep and you always have options to counter.
DMs-one deep-lying playmaker support the other as an anchor man

CBs - limited defenders on defend duty (big strong guys -190cm+)
RB&LB full backs - adjust their mentality according to the results you are getting - with bigger teams keep them automatic or attacking.

GK- normal

Overall mentality is rigid, attacking, default marking, high closing down for all players, and always counter attack. And a high tempo. Currently challenging for the title with Aston Villa in the second season with this tactic.

i use a 4-5-1 attacking, but have one CM on support, other CM on defensive and one DM on ultra defensive, who closes down in own area. Had longest clean sheet streak ever-5 games |). now it's down to bout 2-3 games.

Last edited:
i dont know with 4-4-2 but with 4-5-1 you can use like ajt09 told, and sometimes i made my left full back become defensive and my right become attacking. my longest clean sheet is 1045 minute with barcelona. very effective

I'm playing as Liverpool and I've had 18 out of 34 clean sheets, despite winning 29 games this season..

there is a good thread somewhere re player instuctions eg 1 cb stopper, 1 cb cover etc, maybe a mod could help locate it? i found it useful for my defence.

also i set my gk to sweeperkeeper, helps to mop up killer through balls

When Man Utd play away, with Rio and Nemanja; I'd say that Rio played as a Covering Ball Playing Defender whilst Vidic plays as a Limited Defender who drops deep and punts balls away.

On my Inter save, Julio Cesar has played 32 and conceded 14, conceding more than one in a couple of games. I'm using the Devasto tactic (I think it's called that) so I've also managed to rack up 60 or so goals :D

Also rotated Samual, Lucio, Cordoba and Chivu at CB, Lucio got player of the year with an 8.07 rating.

I don't know, for me attacking all out seems to reduce the amount of goals I concede. It's counter intuitive but it works.

don't try and make a team that's hard to beat - try and make a team that's hard to stop - offence is the best defence - you'll get clean sheets that way I promise.

don't try and make a team that's hard to beat - try and make a team that's hard to stop - offence is the best defence - you'll get clean sheets that way I promise.

I agree. I played away vs Liverpool, N'Gog had two goals ruled out for offside in the first 8 minutes, but my team into Attacking and I won 7-0, at Anfield.

i find that i will go through spells in a season where i may get 5 clean sheets in a row then go 7 games without one

this is my record of my GK after 2 seasons, so yes - it is very possible. you probably need to adjust your tactic

F3lhP.png

For your centre backs remember to have one cover and one stopper. I've been using a tactic I set up myself, admittedly with Barcelona, but second season Valdez played 18, conceded 9, with 10 clean sheets.

Last edited:
Back