Sevilla FC: Fallen Spanish Giants

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Chapter 1: The Beginning

Sevilla FC.png

It seems like not so long ago that Sevilla were inevitably winning the Europa League every season, and they've won the competition an astonshing 7 times since the 2005-06 season. They managed to win it in 2022-23 as well, but finished winless and bottom of their Champions League group. Domestically, things did not fare much better, with the club languishing in 14th spot. There'll be no European competition this time next season, and the club may have to wait a while for their return.

We'll be starting back from the beginning of the 2023/24 season, aiming to have a bit more success in La Liga, and possibly also aiming for a 3rd place finish in our Champions League group, which would see us drop down to the Europa League.

Hired.png

In real life, the club have just hired Javier Garcia Pimenta from Las Palmas, where he guided them to the safety of 16th place. It made sense therefore to reflect that change in game, and he'll be the manager that looks to guide Sevilla back to success.

Expectations.png

Sevilla aren't the club that they used to be, but expectations are still decently high from the board. They expect us to get out of our Champions League group, as well as qualify for the Europa League through the league. Considering that they didn't come close to either of these achievements in real life, it'll be a tough ask to manage both in game.​

Chapter 2: Preparing for the Season

Stadium.jpeg

We've got pre-season and a transfer window - although we've only a couple million in the bank - to get through. I expect things to be relatively quiet until the start of the LaLiga campaign, which should give me the opportunity to get my squad sorted and plan my tactical setup and approach.

Pre-Season.png

Pre-Season went OK, without anything of particular note, although losing 3-0 to Roma in our final friendly wasn't an ideal way to finish before we head into the La Liga season.

Januzaj.png

Our first piece of transfer business was to sell Adnan Januzaj to RSC Anderlecht - where he started his career. We needed to get someone off the books and he was the most obvious choice - at 28, he was going to play little more than a minor role and so it felt best to sell him on.

Ortega.png

Ortega II.png

My main priority was getting a new goalkeeper in the window, and I decided to bring in Manchester City back-up Stefan Ortega, on an initial loan deal which will become permanent. I'm looking to play a possession based system, and our current suggested starting goalkeeper - Marko Dmitrovic - had a passing stat of just 3. I needed someone beter with the ball at their feet and Ortega has certainly profited from playing under Pep Guardiola in that respect.

Tactics.png

This is the initial tactical setup I'm planning on deploying. I think Acuna and Navas respectively on the left and right hand side will be key, as I'll need them to get up and down the pitch as often as possible, providing crucial width in attack whilst getting back on the defensive side of the ball too. With our wingers being inverted, the midfield should have an overload to be able to win back possession fairly quickly and get us back on the front foot after we lose the ball.

Fixtures.png

It's been a relatively quiet window as expected, but there's still time for further business if needed. Our first month should be a good test, as Villarreal and Girona will be likely competitors for a European spot. Elsewhere, we have our UEFA Super Cup Final, which will be a difficult test against Manchester City.​

Chapter 3: La Liga Season Starts

Suso.jpg

It's time to get our first season underway, and here's hoping it's a successful one.

La Liga Matchday 1: Sevilla FC vs Rayo Vallecano

13th Aug.png

Our season began in perfect fashion as we recorded a dominant 4-0 home win over Rayo Vallecano. It was a complete performance from start to finish and a great way to start the season.

14th Aug.png

I mentioned in the last post that Marko Dmitrovic was practically unusable given his lack of passing ability. He's a decent shot stopper but won't fit the possession system I'm aiming for. Therefore, it made sense to sell him, even if it was for a minimal fee.

UEFA Super Cup: Manchester City vs Sevilla FC

16th Aug.png

It was always going to be tough against a side as good as Manchester City, and so it proved. We were still in the game at half-time, only behind 1-0, but a red card for Marcos Acuna just before the hour mark meant it was going to be difficult to construct attacks without leaving our defense vulnerable. In the end, they got another and that was enough to earn them the trophy.

La Liga Matchday 2: Villarreal vs Sevilla FC

20th Aug.png

Villarreal are a strong team and they took control of the game early, leading 2-0 before the half hour mark. It wasn't looking good for us, but we got a goal back just four minutes later through Erik Lamela, and then scored shortly after half-time to level the scores. It looked like we'd completed a terrific comeback when Boubakary Soumare put us 3-2 ahead, but Alex Baena levelled the scores once more. In the end, both teams gave their all and a draw is a fair result that I'm not too disappointed about.

La Liga Matchday 3: Sevilla FC vs Girona FC

26th Aug.png

Girona had started their campaign with two strong 2-0 wins, including one over Atletico Madrid. They were strong opposition but it was another closely fought contest that we deserved a point from, if not all three. It was our turn to get a late equaliser, through Youssef En-Nesyri, to earn us a point.

31st Aug.png

We had our Champions League draw, and our group isn't terrible, nor is it easy. We are, on paper, probably the 3rd best team, and although our board want us to get out of the group, I don't think dropping down to the Europa League would be the worst thing in the world. Of course, though, we will do our best to qualify for the knockout round.

31st Aug ii.png

31st Aug iii.png

I wasn't entirely happy with our depth at right-back, and I opted to make the deadline day acquisition of Real Zaragoza's Alejandro Frances. Frances is young, versatile and I think a terrific buy for under 5 million. He should be a useful squad player that can hopefully blossom into a starter with time.

31st Aug iv.png

Rafa Mir was on the fringes and not a major part of my plans, and with Frances arrival, I had to un-register someone to ensure that our wages total remained under the requirement of 775,000 a week. Mir was the most obvious choice, and that meant I had to sell him on. He's loaned to Brentford, who he'll join permanently at the end of the season.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

He only made one start, but Hannibal scored a brace in that game, and provided a bright spark off the bench against both Villarreal and especially against Girona. For that, he's my choice for our Player of the Month.

League Table

League Table.png

We remain unbeaten through the first three games, though it's still very early days.

September.png

Our next month should be an interesting and important one. We have five La Liga fixtures, none of which are against expected top half opposition. That should give us a good chance to put some wins on the board, and we have an important game in Europe - our opening Champions League fixture against Manchester United.​

Chapter 4: European Campaign Begins

Lucas Ocampos.jpg

As we touched on at the end of the last post, this should be an interesting month for us, both domestically and in the Champions League.

La Liga Matchday 4: CA Osasuna vs Sevilla FC

3rd Sep.png

The month got off to a positive start as we recorded a dominant 4-1 victory over Osasuna. Youssef En-Nesyri was the star of the show with a hat-trick, as well as an assist for Djibril Sow's goal.

La Liga Matchday 5: Sevilla FC vs Las Palmas

17th Sep.png

Our next game was not quite as smooth, as we found ourselves 1-0 down early to Las Palmas. A header from Sergio Ramos in the 65th minute was enough to get us a point out of the game and keep us unbeaten for the season so far. Not our best performance, but at least we didn't lose the game.

UEFA Champions League Matchday 1: Manchester United vs Sevilla FC

20th Sep.png

For much of our opening Champions League fixture, it looked as if we were set to record an excellent away win at Old Trafford. We were terrific in the second half, but they were superior in the second. They deserved their late equaliser through Scott McTominay and a draw is still a good result for us.

La Liga Matchday 6: Cadiz vs Sevilla FC

24th Sep.png

Cadiz were the unexpected La Liga frontrunners 5 games in, but we became the first team to beat them here and take their top spot for the time being. It was a closely fought game, but a late penalty from Sergio Ramos saw us over the line.

La Liga Matchday 7: Sevilla FC vs UD Almeria

27th Sep.png

We earnt another win, and this time the match was a lot more comfortable, as we beat Almeria 3-1 at home. We raced into a 2-0 lead in the first 15 minutes and from then on kept control of the game.

La Liga Matchday 8: RCD Mallorca vs Sevilla FC

30th Sep.png

It was another good win to round out the month as we emerged 2-0 victors over Mallorca. It took us a while to get going, and our opening goal came right at the end of the first half. But Mallorca didn't threaten much, and eventually we were able to break them down.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

An easy choice this month, as Youssef En-Nesyri has been racking up the goals this month, netting 5, including that hat-trick against Osasuna.

Manager of the Month.png

4 wins from 5 games this month was enough to earn myself the Manager of the Month award.

League Table

League Table.png

Unexpectedly, we're top of the league nine games in. We haven't had many of the top teams in the division yet, though, so I'd expect this to be a temporary high for us, but we'll enjoy it whilst it lasts.​

Chapter 5: Trying to Maintain Good Form

Sergio Ramos.jpg

We've had a bright start to the La Liga season and hopefully that continues this month with 3 more domestic fixtures, as well as two Champions League games.

UEFA Champions League Matchday 2: Sevilla FC vs Ferencvaros

3rd October.png

Our Champions League game against Ferencvaros went as we'd hoped, as we recorded a comfortable 4-0 win, in which we led 3-0 after just 13 minutes. Youssef En-Nesyri continues his terrific goalscoring form with another hat-trick here, and interest is beginning to swirl from other clubs around him.

La Liga Matchday 9: Sevilla FC vs Getafe CF

8th October.png

We looked as if we were set for our first defeat of the campaign at two different stages here. We went 2-0 down after just 13 minutes and it seemed we were simply too open at the back. However, our attacking approach got us back into the game and we'd levelled the scores at 2-2 by half-time. Diego Rico netted a Getafe third that looked like the winner for much of the second half, but Isaac Romero netted a 92nd minute equaliser to earn us a point. We were relentless for the last 40 minutes of this game and it finally paid off in what was a thrilling game for all involved.

La Liga Matchday 10: Celta Vigo vs Sevilla FC

21st October.png

We were close to our first loss of the La Liga campaign in our last game, but unfortunately it materialised in our next fixture, a 3-1 defeat against Celta Vigo. We're looking a little too vulnerable at the back at the moment and I'll look to make some adjustments to ensure we stop leaking as many goals. We had 70% of the ball but did little with it. Disappointing to lose in this fashion.

UEFA Champions League Matchday 3: Sevilla FC vs AC Milan

24th October.png

A hugely important win in an important Champions League fixture against AC Milan. A relatively early goal from Oliver Torres proved enough to earn us three points in this one, in what was a tightly contested game of few chances, but one that I'm delighted to have come out on top of.

La Liga Matchday 11: Sevilla FC vs Valencia CF

27th October.png

When we went into the dressing room at half-time here, it wasn't the first time we'd found ourselves 2-0 down in a game, as we'd had the same predicament just a couple of games against Getafe. That match ended 3-3, and we managed to come back to earn a point in this fixture as well, earning a deserved 2-2 draw. Our games are a thrill to watch at the moment, though I would like us to be a little more stable than we are currently.

Player of the Month

POTM ii.png

En-Nesyri scored 5 goals last month, and he did the same in October too. Therefore, he is rewarded with his second consecutive Player of the Month award for his goalscoring exploits.

League Table

League Table ii.png

We were winless in La Liga this month and that sees us drop down to 5th spot. However, we're still just 3 points behind first and the table is extremely tight at the top end. Unfortunately, our biggest rivals - Real Betis - currently lead the league, and are the last remaining unbeaten side.

Champions League Group

Champions League Group.png

Our Champions League group is shaping up nicely so far - hopefully we can make it out of the group from this position.

November Fixtures.png

Next month is an important one, specifically on the European stage. We'll know whether we'll be qualifying or dropping to the Europa League by the end of the month, hopefully it's the former. In the league, we've a big game against Atletico Madrid which will be our biggest league fixture so far.​

Chapter 6: Domestic Highs and Continental Lows

Loic Bade.jpg

As mentioned in the post above, November promises to be both an interesting and important month, as the Champions League group draws closer to its finish and the league continues to take shape.

La Liga Matchday 12: Granada CF vs Sevilla FC

3rd Nov.png

A good start to the month as we rotated a little and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners over Granada. It was scoreless at the break, but an Isaac Romero hat-trick in the second half turned the game wholly in our favour.

Champions League Matchday 4: AC Milan vs Sevilla FC

8th Nov.png

Heartbreak at the death at the San Siro, as AC Milan win 1-0 against us. It would've been great to take a point here after beating them at our ground, but it was not to be. Milan were the better side, but we defended valiantly and it was a shame to see our resistance broken right at the last moment in this one.

La Liga Matchday 13: Sevilla FC vs Atletico Madrid

12th Nov.png

We responded to disappointment in perfect fashion - by thrashing Atletico Madrid 4-0 in our best performance of the season! We were in truly devastating fashion here, with En-Nesyri continuing his form in front of goal, before youngster Stanis Idumbo Muzambo added a third. Isaac Romero has proven himself a more than capable deputy to En-Nesyri, and grabbed another goal for himself in stoppage time here.

La Liga Matchday 14: Alaves vs Sevilla FC

25th Nov.png

We found ourselves 2-0 down at half-time to Alaves in our next game, with some of those defensive frailities creeping in again. However, a rousing team talk led to the team coming out and performing brilliantly in the second half, turning the game around to win 3-2!

Champions League Matchday 5: Sevilla FC vs Manchester United

28th Nov.png

Going into a crucial Champions League game against Manchester United, we knew that a point would be a good result that would put us in a positive position ahead of the final matchday. Having fought back from 2-0 down against Alaves, we found ourselves 2-0 up inside the first 10 minutes and we were in dreamland. However, United came back to 2-2 by half-time, and added another 2 goals in the second to win 4-2. Such a disappointing way to lose, and a 3rd place finish looks likely as a result.

Player of the Month

November POTM.png

His name hasn't been mentioned too often, but Boubakary Soumare has been absolutely running the show from midfield for us this month, and deserves recognition for doing so. He's been an engine in the middle of the park and contributed effectively going forward too - a terrific month for the Frenchman.

30th Nov.png

Isaac Romero actually won the Player of the Month award for the league, but I felt as if Soumare deserved it more personally. Romero was great, no doubt, but only started once, coming off the bench in the other two games he featured in.

30th Nov ii.png

And for three wins from three games, I was the recipient of the Manager of the Month award.

League Table

November League Table.png

Well, we're back to the top of the league for the moment. It's a tight table, though, with just 4 points separating us from 7th placed Real Madrid, who've underperformed thus far. Atletico are right behind us, making that 4-0 win even more impressive, whilst our big rivals Real Betis remain unbeaten and in 3rd place.

Champions League Group

Champions League Group ii.png

Missing out on potential points in both our Champions League group games this month has really hurt our chances of progressing. We'll need United to beat AC Milan, and a goal difference swing as well to see us progress.

December Fixtures.png

Wow - every fixture is crucial this month! It begins with 4th placed Bilbao, and then we have Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid back-to-back, before our final Champions League group game, where we'll look to score as many as possible in case it should be decided on goal difference whether we progress or not. After that, it's a massive derby game against Real Betis, before our Spanish Cup campaign begins against lower tier opposition in Egues. A huge set of games.​

Chapter 7: Champions League Progress?

Kike Salas.jpg

We'll find out our Champions League fate this month, all in the midst of some very important league games as well.

La Liga Matchday 15: Athletic Bilbao vs Sevilla FC

3rd Dec.png

We start the month off with an unentertaining 0-0 draw against Athletic Bilbao. Not much happened here, but it isn't a terrible result to get a draw away to 4th place in the league.

La Liga Matchday 16: Sevilla FC vs FC Barcelona

6th Dec.png

We won our game last month against Atletico Madrid by 4-0, and we replicate that scoreline against another tough opponent - FC Barcelona! We rattle 4 past them, and Isaac Romero got himself another stunning hat-trick, all three of his goals coming in the first half. As a former Madrid player, Sergio Ramos would've enjoyed scoring against his former enemies to add a fourth. Hannibal made a stupid challenge in the 84th minute to get himself sent off but we're still overjoyed at how this game went.

La Liga Matchday 17: Real Madrid vs Sevilla FC

9th Dec.png

It was always going to be tough to go the Santiago Bernabeu and earn a result, but we were off the back off an incredible win so anything was possible. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be as we went down 2-1, but we put up a good fight and could've got ourselves a point if we'd been a little more clinical. Ramos scored again for us, this time refusing to celebrate as he netted against the club with which his name will forever be associated.

Champions League Matchday 6: Ferencvaros vs Sevilla FC

13th Dec.png

We had to win here in our final Champions League and we did our part, earning a comfortable 3-0 victory over Ferencvaros. However, we were still dependent on Manchester United getting a victory over AC Milan for us to progress...

United vs Milan.png
Group G.png

But it wasn't to be, as Milan held out for a 1-1 draw to see them through to the Champions League knockouts. It would've been interesting had United found a winner, as we would've been on the same points, had the same goal difference, the same goals for and against, and had the same head-to-head record. We've got a great track record in the Europa League, though, so here's hoping we can do well in that competition.

La Liga Matchday 18: Sevilla FC vs Real Betis

17th Dec.png

We had to recover quickly from our Champions League disappointment, as we had a massive derby against Real Betis just four days later. They were the only unbeaten team left in La Liga, but that record ended as we ran out 2-0 victors! We put together a really good performance, putting them on the back foot from minute one. It took us a while to break the deadlock, but we got the win and that's the most important thing.

18th Dec.png

We found out that our opposition would be Marseille in the Europa League play-off round. They're a good side and will be a difficult opponent to get past, but hopefully we can do it.

Spanish Cup 1st Round: Egues vs Sevilla FC

20th Dec.png

A comfortable start to what is hopefully a long Spanish Cup campaign, as we run out 5-1 winners against lower league side Egues with a rotated squad.

Player of the Month

December POTM.png

Sergio Ramos is having a terrific season at the age of 37, and found himself amongst the goals this month, netting 3 times.

31st Dec.png

Hannibal was awarded the African Young Footballer of the Year award which is somewhat confusing given that he's played just 5 games, but we'll take it.

League Table

December League Table.png

Atletico have taken our top spot for now, but we've had another terrific month given that we had as tough a fixture list as we could've asked for.

January Fixtures.png

Another interesting month awaits us, with a transfer window to contend with as well. I'm not looking to change the squad, but clubs are monitoring around a couple of our players - most notably Youssef En-Nesyri, who seems to want to leave. If a bid comes in, I might not have a choice as to whether to keep our star striker or sell him.​

Chapter 8: A Tougher Run of Form

Joan Jordan.jpg

The January transfer window is open and we'll seek to balance potential transfer activity, whilst maintaining a push for a Top 4 finish in La Liga.

La Liga Matchday 19: Sevilla vs Villarreal

3rd Jan.png

The month began with an entertaining draw against Villarreal. Frustratingly, we led the match twice but were unable to hold that lead either time. Sergio Ramos has found himself among the goals recently and notched another one for himself here.

Spanish Cup 2nd Round: UE Sant Andreu vs Sevilla FC

10th Jan.png

We enjoyed a 9-1 victory in the next round of the Spanish Cup, a game which saw Isaac Romero net 4.

11th Jan.png

Loic Bade has hardly featured at all this season, and began to complain about his lack of minutes - therefore, he's been loaned out for the rest of the season to Feyenoord. He has a right to be frustrated as he is a decent option, but our centre backs have performed well and I haven't been able to work Bade into the team as a result.

La Liga Matchday 20: Real Sociedad vs Sevilla FC

13th Jan.png

A frustratingly flat performance and result against Real Sociedad, who beat us 2-0. Sergio Ramos once again found himself on the scoresheet, but it was unfortunately at the wrong end this time. One of our worst performances of the season, and a poor result to match.

14th Jan.png

I mentioned that their have been rumours swirling around Youssef En-Nesyri this month. With him unwilling to renew his contract that expires at the end of next season, I accepted a loan bid from Olympique Marseille with a few to his departure for 78 million, if he makes 15 appearances for the club. It is a little frustrating to get no money now, but the future fee is an enticing amount and part of me hopes he does meet the appearances requirement, as I think we could benefit from having the money to spend on improving the rest of the squad.

La Liga Matchday 21: Rayo Vallecano vs Sevilla FC

17th Jan.png

We were flat out the gates again here and found ourselves 2-0 down to Rayo Vallecano by the 23rd minute. Rayo are fighting relegation and it was disappointing to see us look so uninspired in this one. We were much improved in the second half, but fell to another 2-0 defeat.

20th Jan.png

20th Jan ii.png

I managed to put together a deal (albeit with a little help from instalment plans) for Brazilian striker Pedro, who comes in to replace En-Nesyri. He's been scoring fairly frequently for Flamengo in Brazil and hopefully his goalscoring abilities translate to La Liga.

Spanish Cup 3rd Round: Levante UD vs Sevilla FC

20th Jan iii.png

The disappointment continues this month as we crash out of the Spanish Cup much earlier than anticipated, as we lose on penalties to second division side Levante. We were poor in this game but it looked like we were going to escape with a victory when Erik Lamela gave us the lead in the 76th minute. However, they levelled through a penalty 8 minutes later, and eventually won the game on spot kicks.

La Liga Matchday 22: Girona FC vs Sevilla FC

27th Jan.png

We've really struggled this month and things don't get much better in our final game of January, a 0-0 draw to Girona. After those 9 goals in the Spanish Cup game earlier, we've scored just once in our next four games. We've been scoring frequently all throughout the season, but the goals have worringly dried up. Hopefully the introduction of new striker Pedro can resolve some of our scoring woes.

Player of the Month

January POTM.png

In what's been a poor month, Adria Pedrosa has actually been really impressive, and has taken over Marcos Acuna's position as the starting left-back. Pedrosa has been creating chances in attack, and been solid defensively. He can definitely hold his head high amidst a tough run for the team.

League Table

January League Table.png

We were just 2 points behind league leaders Atletico Madrid at the end of last month, but that gap has now extended all the way out to 12 points, and we've dropped out of the top 4. Hopefully, this bad run of form proves to be nothing more than a small patch in what's otherwise been a productive season.

February Fixtures.png

On paper, we have some relatively favourable league games next month. The focus, however, will be around the Europa League knockout tie against Marseille, who now have Youssef En-Nesyri amongst their ranks. Hopefully, he doesn't came back to haunt us so soon after departing.​

Chapter 9: Back to Winning Ways

Marcao.jpg

After a tough time out last month, we'll be hoping this month brings more success results wise.

La Liga Matchday 23: Sevilla FC vs CA Osasuna

4th Feb.png

The month began with a return to winning ways after a four game winless run. We were frustratingly locked at 0-0 headed into the break, but found our scoring touch in the second period, with goals from Nianzou and Oliver securing the victory.

La Liga Matchday 24: Las Palmas vs Sevilla FC

10th Feb.png

When Marc Cardona scored in the 60th minute to give Las Palmas a 1-0 lead, it didn't look like this would be a happy away day for us. However, we equalised just 4 minutes later, and then found another two goals as the match went on. A good turnaround and another win.

Europa League Playoff Knockout Round 1st Leg: Sevilla FC vs Olympique Marseille

15th Feb.png

A very good first leg performance and a good result - a 2-0 win over Marseille. The only point of potential frustration was that we could've scored another and made this more comfortable going into the second leg. As it is, Marseille have a definite chance but we've a good advantage that we hopefully don't give away in the second leg.

La Liga Matchday 25: Sevilla FC vs Cadiz CF

18th Feb.png

Prior to their game against us, Cadiz had drawn a ridiculous 11 games in a row. I'm not sure what the record is for most consecutive draws, but I'm sure this would be up there. Unfortunately for them, we ended their streak by trouncing them 4-0 in a convincing performance. Our defenders have contributed a lot of goals from corners this season and that continued here, with both Ramos and Nianzou netting off set pieces.

Europa League Playoff Knockout Round 2nd Leg: Olympique Marseille vs Sevilla FC

22nd Feb.png

We see ourselves through to the Round of 16 after a tight game of few chances in the second leg against Marseille. It was nervy for us when they scored after 11 minutes, but they didn't have too many more clear cut chances for that second goal to level the tie.

23rd Feb.png

It'll be French opposition once more for us, as we'll face Stade de Rennais in the Europa League Round of 16.

La Liga Matchday 26: UD Almeria vs Sevilla FC

25th Feb.png

Our second halves this month have been really effective. For a statistical look at our performance in each half across the month's worth of game:

1st Halves
Goals For: 2, Goals Against: 1

2nd Halves
Goals For: 12, Goals Against: 1

Yes, our first halves could be more exciting, but we really step up when it matters and hopefully that pattern continues. A solid performance and win here against Almeria.

Player of the Month

February POTM.png

The centre-back partnership of Sergio Ramos and Tanguy Nianzou has been brilliant this season, and getting better with each passing month. They're at different points of their careers, with Ramos being 37 and Nianzou just 21, but they complement each other with a blend of youth and experience. This month it was the Frenchman who was the real standout.

February Manager of the Month.png

A perfect month with 4 wins from 4 (the Girona game was at the end of last month so I'm not sure why it appears here), sees me win the Manager of the Month award for the third time this season.

League Table

February League Table.png

Back into the top 4 on the back of a strong run of form - which is just what we needed after our struggles last month.

March Fixtures.png

Once again the focus is on the European tie, but every remaining league game is important as we seek to qualify for the Champions League in what is a tight La Liga table.​

Chapter 10: Heading Towards the End of the Season

Juanlu.jpg

An important month that includes the Europa League Round of 16.

La Liga Matchday 27: Sevilla FC vs RCD Mallorca

3rd Mar.png

We open the month with a frustrating scoreless draw against Mallorca. We didn't offer enough in attack considering we were at home and had close to 70% of the ball. A flat, uninspired showing.

Europa League Round of 16 1st Leg: Sevilla FC vs Stade Rennais

7th Mar.png

We win our first leg against Stade Rennais, although it would've been good to see us take a two goal advantage on the basis of our superior performance in this one. They scored their chances but we played a good brand of attacking football and won the game through an unfortunate own goal in the 80th minute.

La Liga Matchday 28: Getafe CF vs Sevilla FC

10th Mar.png

Two domestic matches, two draws so far this month. Another frustrating performance that mirrored our draw against Mallorca. At least we scored in this game, but we didn't offer enough going forward.

Europa League Round of 16 2nd Leg: Stade Rennais vs Sevilla FC

14th Mar.png

I was worried about our away day in France as we looked to get through to the Europa League quarter finals. The atmosphere was intense with the scored locked at 1-1 going into the final 10 minutes, knowning that a Rennais goal would take the game to extra time. However, it was us who got the late goals, with Lucas Ocampos and Hannibal netting in the final 10 minutes to see us to a 3-1 win.

15th Mar.png

We'll face Sporting CP in the quarter finals, which is sure to be a closely fought encounter.

La Liga Matchday 29: Sevilla FC vs Celta Vigo

18th Mar.png

After a couple disappointing La Liga results, we seem to take out our frustration on Vigo as we thrash them 7-0! Our previous lack of quality in the final third was nowhere to be seen here, as we were clinical and Erik Lamela had a hat-trick within the first 26 minutes.

La Liga Matchday 30: Valencia CF vs Sevilla FC

29th Mar.png

A poor result to end the month, though, as we lose 3-1 to Valencia. We were let down by defensive errors in this one as the game was quite even stats wise.

Player of the Month

March POTM.png

For the 26 minute hat-trick alone, Erik Lamela deserves this Player of the Month accolade, but he also got us underway by scoring the first goal in our Europa League tie against Stade Rennais.

League Table

March League Table.png

Mixed results in the league mean we sit 4th, now 5 points off 3rd.

April Fixtures.png

5 important games, specifically the Europa League quarter final and the away game against Atletico Madrid, all of which will be played within a week.​

Chapter 11: A Vital Set of Games

Romero.jpg

There's the potential for top 4 in the league and another Europa League triumph...will we achieve either?

1st Apr.png

Before any on the field action began, we had our annual youth intake announced - and it's a good one. We've got three 5 star prospects and they could well be our future midfield trio should they develop to their potential.

La Liga Matchday 31: Sevilla FC vs Granada CF

5th April.png

The month got off to a great start as we smashed Granada 6-1, leading 5-0 at the break. We managed a 7-0 win last month and after 45 minutes, it looked like we might go on to beat that, but they solidified after the break. Still, I'll take a 6-1 win any day of the week.

Europa League Quarter Final 1st Leg: Sevilla FC vs Sporting CP

11th April.png

Our Europa League tie got off to a poor start when we fell 1-0 down to Sporting after just 11 minutes. But, we shored things up, and levelled the game in the 31st minute. Pedro hasn't quite been free scoring since his January arrival, but he had his biggest game for us, netting a brace as we went on to win the game 3-1. A really good turnaround and we're in a good position to reach the semi-finals, but its far from decided.

La Liga Matchday 32: Atletico Madrid vs Sevilla FC

14th April.png

We've had our fair share of high scoring games over the past couple months, but unfortunately we were on the wrong end of one in an important game against Atletico Madrid. We were torn apart in the first half, our back line constantly getting exposed, and we found ourselves 4-0 down at the break. It was a miserable first half and the game was already gone, but, to our credit, we put up a fight in the second. We clawed two goals back in 12 minutes, and then proceeded to have a goal ruled out for offside and another shot late in the game hit the post.

Europa League Quarter Final 2nd Leg: Sporting CP vs Sevilla FC

18th April.png

Our first half performance was just as bad in the second leg of our Europa League quarter final. In such a crucial game, it was so disappointing to see us go 2-0 down by the break. But, just like we did in the Atletico game, we halved the deficit in the second half, and that was enough to see us through to the Europa League semi-finals. A lovely outside of the box finish from Boubakary Soumare in the 81st minute was what got us over the line in this one.

La Liga Matchday 33: Sevilla FC vs Deportivo Alaves

29th Apr.png

A nice, comfortable win and clean sheet to round off the month was exactly what we needed. We've been a bit vulnerable at the back all season, but especially this month at times, so it was good to see us largely untroubled defensively here.

Player of the Month

April POTM.png

Dodi Lukebakio contributed braces in two of our games this month, but it was really in the creative department where he shone. He constantly created havoc for opposing defences down the right wing, and racked up a couple of assists to show for it.

League Table

April League Table.png

We're still 5th in the league, unfortunately Real Sociedad have conjured up a series of consecutive wins and are therefore still above us. It's tight at the very top though, with a three horse race between Atletico, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

May Fixtures.png

Our last month of football is full of massive fixtures. We face Barcelona three times, in the league and in a mammoth Europa League semi final clash. Elsewhere, we have a title hunting Real Madrid, an in-form Real Sociedad who are directly above us, and a fierce derby against Real Betis, who are directly below us. Should we make it past Barcelona, we'll also have the Europa League final to play, as if the weight of the fixtures wasn't big enough as it is already.​