Sevilla - having a disaster! Help! What formation shall I play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It has recently come to my attention that I am rubbish at Football Manager. Now, I do not particularly struggle if managing the likes of Real Madrid, Man U etc, but give me a slightly weaker team and I really struggle. I feel I should emphasise that I have never once cheated in my entire Football or Championship manager careers - until now. But to all your purists out there, know that I am merely doing this as an experiment. I recently took over Sevilla as manager, and had a pretty bad first season. Finished 8th in the league, last 16 of the Spanish cup, and First Knockout round of Champions Cup. It's a wonder I was not fired. It was after this first season that I decided to change things around a bit. Firstly, I have a great backroom staff put together. But I have made some serious alterations to my squad. Which now lists:

GK: Akinfeev, Palop, Varas
DR: Azpilicueta, Diego Renan
DL: Navarro, Adriano
DC: Demichelis, Sakho, Fazio, Mathias Jorgensen, Escude, Toprak
MR: Navas
ML: Capel
MC: Veloso, Moutinho, Romaric, Renato, Bernardo (of Cruzeiro, out on loan at the moment)
FC: Kanoute, David Villa, Hulk, Lisandro Lopez, Neymar (out on loan)

As far as I am concerned that is a strong squad. Yes it has cost ridiculous amounts to put it together, and some fairly dodgy dealings along the way, but that is not the point. The point is, that I believe that kind of squad should be able to compete for the league and champions cup. I am currently 16th in the league after 9 games, and the champions cup aint goin so great either. My resuluts seem to be affirmation that I am rubbish.

So my first question would be - is there any area of my team that you guys think needs serious improvement?

The formation I am currently playing is a 532, 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 3 centre mids (though recently I have put veloso back into the DM positon as we are leaking goals for fun), and 2 strikers. My starting 11 usually goes as follows:

GK: Akinfeev
WBR: Renan
WBL: Adriano
DC(r): Fazio
DC(c): Demichelis
DC(l): Sakho
MC(r): Navas
MC(c): Veloso
MC(l): Moutinho
FC: Kanoute
FC: Villa

It is my belief that I am going wrong with the formation and settings etc. There is no way a team with this kind of quality in it should be playing so badly - so the only possible explanation is that the manager is getting it horribly wrong. So, please help me - I need to learn!! Please help me with formation and tactical settings as a team and for the indivduals! Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.