Shearer to become Newcastle boss

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 854

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

More...

LOL. This will be a massive lift for the players and fans, a massive financial earner for Ashley who now from his perspective can do no wrong, as he has given the fans what they wanted. Could be the boost they need....

Yet...it could go ****-up very quickly, but Shearer can get out at the end of the season, and Ashley can say 'yeah but I made your hero boss.' Plus Shearer has no experience, not least in this situation. Would love to see his face if (hopefully) they still go down.

Well done Alan Shearer,my middle finger salutes you.

anyone else thinking this could be a bad april fools?

Neh at first I did but SkySports were pretty insistant...

It could go either way. He could motivate the players into playing like Kings...or be a flop.

Also they have a difficult run in, so it could be interesting.

I am a hull fan but i am glad that he has gone to newcastle and hope he can keep them up but not if that will affect us from going down lol.

Shearers a legend but he's not a stupid man. He's refused the job so far because the truth is that the newcastle job is one of the worst in football. Expectation completely outweighs the reality of the squads ability but at this moment the expectation is at its lowest point for years. Shearer knows that and he knows that if he fails to keep us up nobody will blame him. If he keeps us up he'll probably inherit the job on a permanent basis if he wants it and if we go down he might get the job 2. I do believe that if anyone can save us from the championship it is Alan Shearer.

Agree with rozzaob. As far as I'm concerned he is the only person who can lift the club out of this mess, and if he doesn't it's not his fault, it's the fault of the usual suspect, Mr. Ashley.

BTW anyone else heard if Dennis Wise has left the club??

Ok,let me get this straight Shearer is the ONLY person that cna get the club out of this mess, yet he has no managerial experience and there's nothing to judge him on?

yeah for once i agree, seems like a desperate PR ploy - we all know how stupid newcastle fans are though and something like this will at least keep them off ashleys back for a while - just look at the keegan fiasco, loving him even though he was doing terrible just because he has this unfounded legendary status. won nothing

and shearer being some sort of saviour? you just need to look at our club to see how successful bring in a popular player with no managerial experience is

why do newcastle constantly refuse to bring some experience in? they had kinnear who hasnt managed in years, now they have an assistant manager managing and now they are going for someone else with no managerial experience. seems a bit daft to me when as in such a predicament surely you want some real experience and knowledge of premiership survival and probably not ian dowie who is being touted as one of his coaches!

I didn't say he was the ONLY person who can keep us up, I said in my eyes he is the only person who can lift the mood and the player's to at least scrape survival. It won't keep me off Mike Ashley's back at all, I hate the guy. Always will. As for Newcastle fans being stupid, it's a minority and they seem to be the only ones that get any acknowledgment so we have no hope of changing that view. I'm not judging him on his experience (or lack of it), all I'm saying is his status with the club SHOULD at least get respect from the players that Kinnear, Hughton and Co. have been unable to command.

Again, any news on Dennis Wise leaving or is it a load of ****?

i cant help thinking half of the newcastle squad wont know who he is never mind care. you think of the likes of coloccini, gutierrez, martins - who have all played under experienced managers at decent clubs are gonna care what some unproven manager who has won nothing with newcastle over so long has to say over an experienced manager with a reputation?

only players like taylor etc who actually understand or care about newcastle's history and who isnt just there for a payday will be slightly affected by him

Last edited:
OK Sam, what about when Keegan came back? Immediate response from all the players, he had hardly any time with the team, but won his first game 3-0.

All we can do is wait a few weeks then we'll see who's right.

OK Sam, what about when Keegan came back? Immediate response from all the players, he had hardly any time with the team, but won his first game 3-0.

What? Didn't Keegan lose 5 and draw 3 of his first 8 games back in charge? That's what SSN told me before.

haven't heard anything of Wise, it's probably just wishful thinking.

Similar things happen at every club when a new manager takes over.

From what I've heard, Wise will go in the summer and Kinnear will take his place.I really don't know why Shearer took the job. Newcastle are dead and gone to the championship. To be honest, I think that if we were relegated, it would be good for the club. It would give us a chance to clear out the deadwood andf start afresh.

From what I've heard, Wise will go in the summer and Kinnear will take his place.I really don't know why Shearer took the job. Newcastle are dead and gone to the championship. To be honest, I think that if we were relegated, it would be good for the club. It would give us a chance to clear out the deadwood andf start afresh.

Maybe, but then on the other hand what if we end up like Leeds? There's 2 sides to everything so no-one can say for certain what will happen.

Hmm about the Keegan thing, looking back he didn't win for 8 games. Only reason I said he won 3-0 was 'cos while I was writing it Steve Watson said on SSN we won 3-0 his first game :S. lol

Dont be daft it will be a financial disaster if you go down. Like others have saidf this could go either way.

1. Could go up the **** because of his lack of experience and the club could go down which would not be his fault i mean like Sam said i think Newcastle have only made 1 decent appointment since Keegan left the first time (Robson) Maybe big Sam but Newcastle fans are retarded and wanted to see free flowing Arsenal style footie and the guy got booted. when Keegan left in September they should have appointed someone who has current experience but Kinnear did ok i need to give him credit he pulled them up a bit just bad luck he took ill again.

At that point they should have looked into who they could bring in but left Houghton and Calderwood i mean that was a terrible idea.

2. Since he retired he has been taking his coaching badges so he must know his stuff by now and he was captain of Newcastle and England? so motivation wont be a problem.

I hope he stays on after the season because either way it will be the best way to test his ability.

Also what has Wise actually done since he came in last Jan or whenever?

Back