• Views Views 984

Joss

Reaction score
Gary Speed 'delighted' to take on new managerial role at Sheffield United
The Guardian

• New manager plans to take the club forward
• We have moved decisively,' say Sheffield United

Gary-Speed-006.jpg

Gary Speed is delighted to be taking over at Sheffield United for his first managerial role. Photograph: Andrew Matthews/Empics Sport
Taking on his first managerial post as boss at Sheffield United, Gary Speed expressed delight at his new the role today.

"I am delighted that my first managerial role is with the Blades, a club I know well," said Speed. "I have enjoyed my two and half years here. I'd like to thank the board for putting faith in me to take the club forward following on from Kevin Blackwell's hard work."

Trevor Birch, United's chief executive, added: "We have moved decisively and quickly to appoint the right man to take Sheffield United forward. He has exciting plans for the club and we will do everything within our power to back him."

Speed, 40, made 535 Premier League appearances with Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers as a player and has dropped down into the Championship for his first senior post. After a back injury curtailed his playing days with the Blades in November 2008, the Wales international moved into a coaching position under former boss Kevin Blackwell.

Blackwell was given his marching orders after the 3-0 home defeat to Queens Park Rangers last weekend.

------------

Other news on this:
Gary Speed must provide style as well as substance at Sheffield United
The Guardian FootballLeague Blog

-----------

Odd this.. Never think of him as anything other than a player, but he's 41, a real veteran of the game, and has been in the PL for god knows how long. There was obviously a reason Utd wanted to keep him so badly when they received an offer for him earlier this summer, apparently this is it. Inexperienced in his new role, but i think he can do a good job.

Thoughts?

He's been at Sheff Utd for quite a while now so the players will know him and will be used to him already, in my mind this could be a great appointment.

This will give speed managerial experience but I am sure this will be a magnificent appointment.

FTB WTID!

he is the only blade i will ever like unless they played for Wednesdaynd piggys took them off us when they was out of contract

good luck to the lad, was a class act in the premierleague for years.

Back