Sheffield Wednesday Youth Challenge

TomTB1995

Reaction score
Welcome to my second attempt at a story here on FM Base. The first I have to say didn't quite go as well as I'd hoped, partly as I think the format I chose to cover the save was quite restrictive and also that ultimately it didn't go very well. This time I have chosen the same team but a different guise and most importantly a different style of management.

Welcome to the Sheffield Wednesday Youth Challenge.

What is the Sheffield Wednesday Youth Challenge? I hear you ask, well it's fairly simple. I am attempting to bring success back to Hillsborough while also attempting to develop a young side capable of performing week in week out.

I'm not someone who tends to “play FM a certain way” for me it's as and what suits whatever team I have at the time so this will be interesting for me to play and I hope interesting for you to read and follow. Like I said before I attempted a story earlier in the season and it was a bit of a wash out. I did monthly reviews. This time I shall not be doing that but updates as and when I feel necessary or when something happens.

There will be a set of rules I will try to follow in this save, these are said rules.
  • Only sign British/Irish players or players of any nationality providing they are under the age of 23.
  • Aim to have at least 3 academy produced players in the starting 11 by the 3rd season (Football League rules state you have to have 1 at present so I think this fits in well)
  • Maintain a wage structure that sees players rewarded for performances on the pitch

Sounds easy eh? I also will point out that I am allowed to keep players who are already here but who don't fit into the U23 policy as well as any existing loans, I feel that's fair. I also will be allowed to sign ex Wednesday players if they don't break the wage structure.

The Manager

As with any FM save of mine the manager has to have a guise of some kind, the guise I have chosen isn't a real player. I have gone with a made up player called Ross Quinn, a talented player in his youth who's career was cruelly cut short by injury. He threw his efforts into coaching and thus has risen to a position where Wednesday have decided to employ him to replace Steve Bruce. A born and bred Wednesday fan he'll have the desire to give everything for the cause.
RQ.jpg

Attachments

• RQ.jpg
    RQ.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 110
Now obviously Wednesday have big ambitions and a fairly big squad with a lot of players either 30+ or approaching 30. The positive side of that is that there is potential for the younger lads already at the club to learn from. Also there are a lot out of contract at the end of the season so that will hopefully free up some room in the squad and the wage budget for the future.

The club wants play offs which I'm in two minds about, the players on paper are more than capable but they were also more than capable for the previous two season in which they've finished 15th and 12th. Fingers crossed though we can at the very least challenge. If not this might end up being another failed experiment.