Shocking away form!

• Thread starter Thread starter Jakey2303
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1K

Jakey2303

Reaction score
Currently managing Swindon in league 2 and I sit top of the league but only just. The main problem keeping me from being comfortably clear at the top is away form and dropping points against much smaller teams that I should be beating easily has become a major annoyance. I was wondering if there was maybe any advice anyone could give me as to how to improve this or what I may have been doing wrong.

At home I try to dominate and then away I tend to go off what the odds are before the game as to whether I play the same way or if I play on the counter. Its when I have seen we are clear favourites and we should win easily I try and dominate and my players just dont turn up. Should I try and be a little more cautious when selecting tactics?

I play almost whole seasons on counter-attacking tactics and that brings me a big success so far. I would play even on counter against the last one on the stands in home. Especially in the lower leagues I would suggest you to play counter-attacking football only away from home. However you should look at your team and see if you have quick players and good passers to abuse this strategy.

What insanity said, with some moderation ;)

Train your players into "away" tactics, and use it almost regardless of the oposition. Preferably counter tactics, if you have a deep lying playmaker/good passer of the ball and one, two or three really fast players. If you have a fast striker, make him target man with the 'run onto ball' option.

I always train my team in three formations/tactics. One controlling/attacking, one 'regular' and one defensive/counter. But in all tactics I use the counter-attack option. As long as you make sure to have fast strikers and/or wingers/wide midfielders, counter attacking is always useful. Especially in lower leagues, pace is everything. Even without good finishing skills, two really fast players can make the difference, especially away from home. (It is of course good to have good tacklers in defense, who stays on their feet when tackling. This can be trained though)

It is important to stick with formations/tactics. It is no use in training formations/tactics every day, if you constantly change them on match day/during a match. To get the best out of tactics training, keep them quite similar. To explain: I train my team in three formations/tactics and change positions (ex: use an AMC in attacking/controlling, a DMC in defensive/counter, change wide mids for wingers, etc) and mentality. But I keep the same marking settings, pressure settings, and almost the same tempo and width settings.
This way, players get to know the style of play very well. I guess players on FM are quite simple people ;), so using one formation with man-marking and slow tempo, and one with zonal marking and very high tempo, just confuses them...

Back