Shooting from outside the box.

maxchaplin55

Reaction score
Just a topic for debate.

I'm playing with Gillingham in League 1 as some of you may already know.
I have a tactic set up, which may of you may be surprised works, as it is free flowing attacking football, short passing etc.
However, despite the Team Instructions set to working the ball into the box - my players take the majority of their shots from outside the box, and I am having like 20-30 shots a game.

Typically I'd try and tweak my tactic and find a fix, however I thought I'd see what people think.
I HAVEN'T set the instruction 'Shoot less often' on anyone. - Should I?
I play 4-4-1-1 flat. Two Central Midfielders set as Centre Midfielders on automatic duty (counter). Two Wide Midfielders also on automatic. An Advanced Playmaker in AM set to support, and an Advanced Forward up top.

Find me some possible solutions people. Before people try telling me that it's not defensive enough - I will simply ignore as conceding goals isn't the problem. Just should be scoring more than I am.

The problem isn't that you're not defensive enough. You're static. Completely. Who's making runs into the box? No-one. You have nobody moving between the lines. The Advanced Forward is all alone vs the entire back line. They don't have any options, so they shoot.

The problem isn't that you're not defensive enough. You're static. Completely. Who's making runs into the box? No-one. You have nobody moving between the lines. The Advanced Forward is all alone vs the entire back line. They don't have any options, so they shoot.

I'm not as static as it probably looks, on PIs, I have both wide men, and the attacking midfielder roaming from positions, and the AM to move into channels.

I think the compact shape of this team is the key to my success so far, so unless you have a viable suggestion as to what could be a possible solution, this isn't much help mate.

View attachment 327648

As you can see, it isn't a huge issue. Just one I feel could be ironed out.

Roaming and moving into channels will give you lateral movement, not players making runs. You're counter attacking and I'd suggest that this is where your wins are coming from, because as soon as you get teams who'll sit back a bit more, you'll struggle because of a lack of proper vertical movement. Give it a month or so and you'll start seeing the signs.

Anyway, for now, your problem is long shots. I've told you already, that's caused by players not having viable passing options, based on your instructions.

This topic should be posted in Tactics section, especially since you're also looking for solutions.

You're playing a defensive tactic, with none bar one of your players attacking. This leads to too many long shots, since there is no-one nearby to pass to. Too many players on Automatic role meaning you're trusting your players to transition properly between defence and attack. If their mentals are weak, this can be disastrous. Also, as WJ said, lone player upfront attacking. And since it's an AF, he's pretty far up ahead of the pitch, and mostly isolated.

Also, two CM on automatic duty means that most of the time, both of them are trying to do the same thing. Try varying their roles, or if you want two CM, vary their mentality. This will help in transition (1 CM on attack means that CM on auto will support forward runs, while AP (S) will try to lay on balls). Maybe try putting one of the wide players to attack in order to provide an outlet for the AF.

Roaming and moving into channels will give you lateral movement, not players making runs. You're counter attacking and I'd suggest that this is where your wins are coming from, because as soon as you get teams who'll sit back a bit more, you'll struggle because of a lack of proper vertical movement. Give it a month or so and you'll start seeing the signs.

Anyway, for now, your problem is long shots. I've told you already, that's caused by players not having viable passing options, based on your instructions.

I appreciate the information you're telling me, however, I am aware of the problem, the reason I posted was for people to suggest possible solutions.
Perhaps if you suggested a way round this problem, it'd be more useful to me and other users.

I appreciate the information you're telling me, however, I am aware of the problem, the reason I posted was for people to suggest possible solutions.
Perhaps if you suggested a way round this problem, it'd be more useful to me and other users.
I've given you lots to think about. If all you're going to do is copy what I say about changing certain things, then how will you learn for yourself? The aim is to get you to think about what you're doing.

I've said that no-one is moving between lines. No-one is attacking the box. That should give you a hint to get someone to do that! Attacking duties are needed.

This topic should be posted in Tactics section, especially since you're also looking for solutions.

You're playing a defensive tactic, with none bar one of your players attacking. This leads to too many long shots, since there is no-one nearby to pass to. Too many players on Automatic role meaning you're trusting your players to transition properly between defence and attack. If their mentals are weak, this can be disastrous. Also, as WJ said, lone player upfront attacking. And since it's an AF, he's pretty far up ahead of the pitch, and mostly isolated.

Also, two CM on automatic duty means that most of the time, both of them are trying to do the same thing. Try varying their roles, or if you want two CM, vary their mentality. This will help in transition (1 CM on attack means that CM on auto will support forward runs, while AP (S) will try to lay on balls). Maybe try putting one of the wide players to attack in order to provide an outlet for the AF.

I agree in that perhaps as I build a better squad, I will experiment with another attacking player, however, I am Gillingham with relatively bad players for the league. So I would rather have this problem, and still be winning most my games, than to risk being too attacking, and getting ahead of myself.

I've given you lots to think about. If all you're going to do is copy what I say about changing certain things, then how will you learn for yourself? The aim is to get you to think about what you're doing.

I've said that no-one is moving between lines. No-one is attacking the box. That should give you a hint to get someone to do that! Attacking duties are needed.

I could fix this myself by tweaking things etc, this problem only just caught my eye, and I thought I'd see what people in general do to avoid the issue.

As you can see in my previous comment, I am only Gillingham, with an average at best team in the league I am playing, so going too attacking will be costly.

You are right, I am static and no-ones moving between the lines, but I need this tactic to be compact and fairly tight, because I am not the best team in the league by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree in that perhaps as I build a better squad, I will experiment with another attacking player, however, I am Gillingham with relatively bad players for the league. So I would rather have this problem, and still be winning most my games, than to risk being too attacking, and getting ahead of myself.
Which is an acceptable approach. You won't really be doing much about your long shot issue though, so you have to live with it for now. If the wins are coming, who cares, right?

Just be on the lookout. You're almost at the halfway point. Teams are going to start taking you more seriously very soon. Be ready when they do. Maybe start training a second tactic more in line with the advice you've been given?

Which is an acceptable approach. You won't really be doing much about your long shot issue though, so you have to live with it for now. If the wins are coming, who cares, right?

Just be on the lookout. You're almost at the halfway point. Teams are going to start taking you more seriously very soon. Be ready when they do. Maybe start training a second tactic more in line with the advice you've been given?

Very very true, after all, why change a winning tactic?
Perhaps I was getting too big for my boots, I shall worry more about the issue when I begin to lose games. Although I will experiment in the up coming games perhaps with an attacking AM or CM.

Very very true, after all, why change a winning tactic?
Perhaps I was getting too big for my boots, I shall worry more about the issue when I begin to lose games. Although I will experiment in the up coming games perhaps with an attacking AM or CM.
Start thinking about it before it happens though. That way you have a plan for when things go wrong. Sherkey has given good advice. Two attacking duties and you'll be a decent threat. Just remember that if you do that, you won't have anyone properly protecting the defence. You don't have now either, but your players aren't really getting forward enough. Consider also changing the other CM to a Defend duty.

Start thinking about it before it happens though. That way you have a plan for when things go wrong. Sherkey has given good advice. Two attacking duties and you'll be a decent threat. Just remember that if you do that, you won't have anyone properly protecting the defence. You don't have now either, but your players aren't really getting forward enough. Consider also changing the other CM to a Defend duty.

Will definitely juggle round in my more easier games, thanks WJ

Back