Should EA scrap the overall ratings system in their FIFA games?

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iNickStuff

Hello,

As a general player of the FIFA series and still hunting for a couple of achievements over Xbox, I have been pondering on a question that, myself, would find of interest to the FM-Base community. Despite controversy, this is an interesting topic I personally think should be quickly covered to voice the opinions of those, regardless whether they are newbies or long-serving members of the forum. Moderators can close this if they find that it is of unecessary interest to those in the community.

----------------------------

Okay, so we all know FIFA's Manager Modes have sucked for a couple of installments now and the wains and outcries of those who have played the series since the very-beginning or just peaking into the then-new millenium have been known for quite some time. The general outlay of the mode of which has such a pretty straightforward concept has managed to bore quite a majority of it's fans and the time for change in the next installment in EA's worldwide-popular series are growing louder.

But I am not opening this thread to argue how good or bad Manager Mode is.

I opened this thread to discuss about the overall rating system in FIFA.

Playing Manager Mode last night made me think about how many players in the game have been given poor ratings by EA. Everytime I looked for an 80+, some, if not most of them did not belong there. It annoy bit quite a bit because of the fact that I am sure that the players who were underrated should have been given better ones.

-----------------------------

I personally think that EA should possibly look into just doing the same as Sports Interactive and putting star graphs of the player's attributes and make players think more carefully about buying a player that is rated 85 and not be the right player to fit into their team. I am not going to name any players but this is just my opinion.

One thing I would like to make an example of however is in the lower leagues of, again, for example, English football. EA should pay attention and look quite deeply into this because I am sure that lower league fans would like for this to happen. For example, in the Championship, the average rating of a player is around 75, maybe just a little higher, depending on the player himself.

With that comes things like player's pace and stamina. It may be so that Gabriel Agbonlahor is one of, if not the fastest player in the Premier League but, however, a player such as Marvin Emnes, Justin Hoyte, Jeremie Aliadere etc. etc. are mis-attributed and should be looked into more.

------------------------

But this is just my opinion.

What do you think?

Post your views on this thread.

iNickStuff

This is what I've thought for quite a while, but for speed there's nothing like some arbitrary numbers

I agree with you to a certain extent.

The ratings are there for a reason obviously. The better the player, the higher the rank. I dont think this would work in any other way. For example, Messi would be a 5 star player and someone who players for Stevnage would be half a star. In terms of FIFA's ranking system that would be 90+ Messi and 50-55 Stevenage players. My question is though, how would the starts be definded. The current ranking breaks player from 10 to 99. How would the stars be broke down?

I'd much rather have a graph just like on FM2010, but I'd rather have Overall than just a shitloads of stats visible, would be so time consuming and annoying to go through all of them to make an informed decision about who you are going to play.

They should also show all the player's stats on one screen, no scrolling. **** 4:3

I'd much rather have a graph just like on FM2010, but I'd rather have Overall than just a shitloads of stats visible, would be so time consuming and annoying to go through all of them to make an informed decision about who you are going to play.

Hmm, so 50-50? Agreeable.

I agree with you to a certain extent.

The ratings are there for a reason obviously. The better the player, the higher the rank. I dont think this would work in any other way. For example, Messi would be a 5 star player and someone who players for Stevnage would be half a star. In terms of FIFA's ranking system that would be 90+ Messi and 50-55 Stevenage players. My question is though, how would the starts be defined. The current ranking breaks player from 10 to 99. How would the stars be broke down?

Possibly through the combination of two-three attributes into which affect their play?

For example, a striker with 91 Finishing but 74 Composure/Decisions is the difference between a 4.5 star striker and a 2.5 star striker.

I think?

I don't mind the overall ratings on FIFA at all. For me, I worry more about the gameplay more than the off field features and functions. However, for FM, because it's based solely on football management I'd expect it too be more detailed in that area. It's a bit like saying I don't really care about the 3D Match Day TV on FM, because it's not what I look for in FM.

I agree some of the players ratings are over the top, and some are extremely underrated. I remember once Vincent Kompany was the best defender on the game. Great defender, but really he isn't that good.

Overall, I don't mind the rating system. Adding a similar system to what FM has could just complicate things when I should imagine most people would be more focused on just playing the football.

Hmm, so 50-50? Agreeable.

Possibly through the combination of two-three attributes into which affect their play?

For example, a striker with 91 Finishing but 74 Composure/Decisions is the difference between a 4.5 star striker and a 2.5 star striker.

I think?

could see it working i suppose, how'ever i dont expect FIFA to change anything any time soon, they have a tried and tested system that works.

Or players like Joffre Guerron, easily fasted player on the planet and isn't even at 90 on the acceleration/sprint speed stats.

I think that the overall rating should be removed. But the stats of the players need to be revised and need to be laid out to see more clearly, and be more detailed.

Or players like Joffre Guerron, easily fasted player on the planet and isn't even at 90 on the acceleration/sprint speed stats.

This.

could see it working i suppose, how'ever i dont expect FIFA to change anything any time soon, they have a tried and tested system that works.

True but, even with the tried-and-tested system that EA have, risks reap much more rewards when done correctly and efficiently.

I don't mind the overall ratings on FIFA at all. For me, I worry more about the gameplay more than the off field features and functions. However, for FM, because it's based solely on football management I'd expect it too be more detailed in that area. It's a bit like saying I don't really care about the 3D Match Day TV on FM, because it's not what I look for in FM.

I agree some of the players ratings are over the top, and some are extremely underrated. I remember once Vincent Kompany was the best defender on the game. Great defender, but really he isn't that good.

Overall, I don't mind the rating system. Adding a similar system to what FM has could just complicate things when I should imagine most people would be more focused on just playing the football.

Truesay, but possibly just for the Manager Mode? I mean think about it. You'll be more interested in finding the 'right' player if you're a lower league team than if you were a top club. Having that kind of star graph would heavily benefit because just clicking the right analog stick to see stats that you might not even understand just complicates things within itself.

Having a star graph in the Manager Mode of FIFA would give you the opportunity to look for either a more technically-gifted player who may well be 80+ but then choose a fast winger with a poor footballing brain that may be 85+.

they did a star rating system in FIFA 2005, could just employ that again?

they did a star rating system in FIFA 2005, could just employ that again?

I'd very much rather not have the star rating system of 2005.

Too may players will be 5 star and it would be very difficult to seperate between the deserved and the undeserved in terms of ratings.

This.

True but, even with the tried-and-tested system that EA have, risks reap much more rewards when done correctly and efficiently.

Truesay, but possibly just for the Manager Mode? I mean think about it. You'll be more interested in finding the 'right' player if you're a lower league team than if you were a top club. Having that kind of star graph would heavily benefit because just clicking the right analog stick to see stats that you might not even understand just complicates things within itself.

Having a star graph in the Manager Mode of FIFA would give you the opportunity to look for either a more technically-gifted player who may well be 80+ but then choose a fast winger with a poor footballing brain that may be 85+.
TBH all I tend to look for on the detailed stats are Acceleration, Long Shots, Strength and Heading.

On the manager mode point, I think they need to find a way of excluding the repetitiveness of it. Every game is pretty much the same once your on a certain difficulty, I think they should do something like create team's specific playing styles, for example a Bolton are very hard to break down and tend to play with 10 men behind the ball against the top 4 (just an example) or Arsenal tend not to shoot outside the box and play quick short passing football etc...
Just brain-boxing really but would like to see some variation in manager mode as I believe the stats are really the least of there problems.

TBH all I tend to look for on the detailed stats are Acceleration, Long Shots, Strength and Heading.

On the manager mode point, I think they need to find a way of excluding the repetitiveness of it. Every game is pretty much the same once your on a certain difficulty, I think they should do something like create team's specific playing styles, for example a Bolton are very hard to break down and tend to play with 10 men behind the ball against the top 4 (just an example) or Arsenal tend not to shoot outside the box and play quick short passing football etc...
Just brain-boxing really but would like to see some variation in manager mode as I believe the stats are really the least of there problems.

Manager Mode needs a good revamp and not the "We have revamped the Manager Mode in FIFA-whatever with 150,000 more improvements" that turn out to be very minor.

I like the idea of different club playing styles though.

Agree, it really annoys me that a fast lower league player in real life is about 75 ish, yet in the Premier league, thse players are 85+.

It doesnt matter what league your in, your the same speed in EVERY league.

Agree, it really annoys me that a fast lower league player in real life is about 75 ish, yet in the Premier league, thse players are 85+.

This.

Regardless of the league, if you're just as fast as Messi/Ronaldo, you have the same speed as them, not fookin' 70 speed.

Fifa wouldnt scrap there overall ratings because it would make it to difficult and time consuming for casual gamers who dont play fifa that often, anyway if you want a specific type of player then you can look at his stats and decide if he is right for your team.

Too true, maybe their stamina could be lower (if that is true) but it just further imbalances mismatched teams.

i think it was terrible on FIFA09 when you couldnt make a single cross with a player outside of the premiership
but if there is a 5-star system then there are only 10 levels of players, as opposed to the current system which differentiates between a 78 and a 72, so maybe a more accurate number but not a 5-star system

Status
Not open for further replies.