Should I offer NEW contract to players?

catchwoarms

Reaction score
Hi guys!
(First of all, sorry in advance for my english - it's my second language)

I am two months into 2nd season (4 Oct 2015 game date) with Tottenham Hotspur.
During the previous season few players (Vertongen at the start of first season - after I rejected bid from Man Utd) asked for a better contract. Since I am managing/supporting Tottenham I am a "yid" and not going to shower them with money for no particular reason (his contract ends in 2018).

At the monthly staff meeting my staff recommend me to offer new contract for players who they think may ask for a better contract in a near future or they will get upset.
Example:
Éder Álvarez Balanta 18 750 per week till 2019
Lucas Romero 18 000 per week till 2019
These players deserves a higher wage, in my opinion, but what stops me from offering them new contracts is Loyalty Bonus and Agent Fee. Each agent asks for 1.5 mln for himself and 1.5 for each player and around 90k per week in wages. I can negotiate it down to 1 mln and wage below 80k … but why bother spending huge money? They have a contract.

As you can see from the screenshots I don't have players whose contracts end before 2018. And I am not planning on offering anyone a new one.

Q: What is a downside of not offering them a new contract?

Last edited:
Hi, no, I've simply loaned him to give my squad more depth for 6k per week. He looks great, but Benfica asks too much for him.

they might want to leave quicker if there is going to be an interested club.\
and then will get mad because you don't want them to leave.
and will Cost a lot f matches to get them happy again

I would keep an eye on the players you are concerned about and if you see any interest appear get them tied up on a new contract. Setting a high asking price will deter bids from medium reputation teams.

I always put of contract negotations as much as possible, wage budgets spiral out of control so quickly in this game imo.

I try to get them signed up to a new contract when they are reaching 24/18 months left.

I never listen to my staff when they say to give a player a new contract. I'm very strict in my approach. I only open negotiations for new contracts between 24-18 months left on there contract.

Usually at the start of the season I would glance to see whose contract has 2 years left to run. Then around Nov/Dec time I will offer new deals and hopefully have the guys I want signed to long time deals by January.

If a player with 2+ years left request a new contract I always reject and tell them they have plenty of time remaining on their current deal if they become unhappy.

Usually at the start of the season I would glance to see whose contract has 2 years left to run. Then around Nov/Dec time I will offer new deals and hopefully have the guys I want signed to long time deals by January.

If a player with 2+ years left request a new contract I always reject and tell them they have plenty of time remaining on their current deal if they become unhappy.
I do the same.
Just now (16 Dec 2015 in game) Balanta's agent asked for a new contract. I rejected.
see the pic.
He is ok. No indication of unhappiness.

Yeah, generally follow the same procedure of 18-24 months. One situation where I change it is when players have salary increase ach year. Then I tend to offer them a slightly higher salary, a higher loyalty bonus and remove the salary increase. Occasionally, those salary increases can spiral out of control, and players end up demanding much higher salary if I offer contracts after salary increase.

Agree with removing wage rises, I'd rather be able to easily see what my outgoings are going to be year on year.

It's just simply advice from your staff, OP. You don't have to listen to them. I never make an offer based on this advice. If a player does get to the point where they approach me, then I'll consider it, depending on his squad status, his wage compared to his peers and the length of his contract.

I ignore my staff advice and don't offer a contract until the player asks for one.

However....

Those players are asking for +/- 90k/week now.

If you want another year, win the league and they are rated at 30mil each - then they will want muuuch bigger contracts.

You also run the risk of bigger clubs bidding on them, then you will for sure have to pay them massive wages to keep them happy.

I ignore my staff advice and don't offer a contract until the player asks for one.

However....

Those players are asking for +/- 90k/week now.

If you want another year, win the league and they are rated at 30mil each - then they will want muuuch bigger contracts.

You also run the risk of bigger clubs bidding on them, then you will for sure have to pay them massive wages to keep them happy.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Also, they have the same agent and he was "friendly" to me. After I rejected new contract proposal for Balanta and after that he became "neutral" to me.
Well, I signed them 1.5 year ago, they got 3.5 year left of the contract. I feel like I should offer them a new one, but they most certanly will ask even better contract next year...

Last edited:
Back