Dunc

Keyboard Warrior
Reaction score
Right I have a bit of a issue here with my strikers. Basically, I am in debt, I am losing about 20/30m per season, and I need to try and free up some funds for a stadium expansion/new stadium, hopefully. I am currently £7m in the red, and figure I could get atleast £80m for my striker, as he has won world player of the year last year, and is basically a ******* animal. So here are his stats:

So yeah, he's pretty good, but I have some good players who I think would be able to replace him. I normally rotate between playing 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2. Here are some of his replacements/team-mates.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do? I mean, I like Leó, and he is my clubs record leading ever goalscorer, and he is a club legend, but I just think the money I could make on him far outweighs the need in him staying, considering the other striker options I have, and I could bring in another young striker to train up for when VDL gets past 30?

Also, Van Der Linden normally plays on a AML role for me atm, hence the lack of goals.

Thanks in advance.​

Sell Leo, Cannot believe he has not even featured for the National team :) wtf?

you don't want to go into admin Dunc, and by the sounds of things that could be where you are headed if you do not make a drastic change :)

your other strikers are more than capable especially Van Der Linden, play him upfront and buy a cheaper Aml with some of the cash you get...

I am sure if you spent the time searching you could find a really good young regen striker for peanuts and make him your new Leo? :)

Yeah I like my other strikers, Van Der Linden and Gutierez (sp) upfront should be good enough tbh. It's just, he's a club legend, he's only young, he's already the teams top goal scorer of all time, he scored like 89 goals in one season, scored 70+ in the league as well that season. I am hoping that youngster I put in the OP will turn out nicely, but I don't know, I probably go through about 10 or so young strikers until I find a good one lol.

I just don't want to sell him, and then regret it. I have already sold a player, another brazilian striker, the main reason Leo isn't in the national team, to Man City for 30m about 6 seasons ago. He is scoring 50 goals a season, still at the age of 30, and always scores 2/3 against me every time I play them, really frustrating. Don't want the same thing to happen to Leo lol, I could try and sell him to a overseas club, but the richest teams are in England, being Man City, Everton and Aston Villa all having billionaire owners, splashing between 100-200m per summer, so I would rather get the most money I can for him..

its the risk you are going to have to take though.. you might just have to accept being beaten by City/Villa or Everton 4-6 goals once or twice a year :p but it should be worth it at the end of the day...

Just try and forget about him being a Legend etc, motivate yourself to find a new "legen..wait for it... dary" striker to mould and overtake Leo :)

This is probably one of the hardest parts of FM, letting an absolute rapist leave. It might take a season or two, but you will find someone who will be able to fill his boots. I would look around Brazil again for another wonderkid.

Off topic: What happened to being a pirate Dunc?

Off topic: What happened to being a pirate Dunc?

I am home for the week, I am only a pirate Monday - Friday while I am at uni :p Don't start till next week but had GF's graduation on Monday, so stayed on the yacht for a few days to get used to it. :)

But yeah, he's a bit of a beast, and fits in my formation well, he is a bit of a greedy *******, but when he scores that many goals, I mean, who wouldn't be.

I think I will look at selling him in the summer. If I can't get above £60m for him, I might hold onto him for another season and hope that some youngsters come through and start challenging RVDL and Guiterrez for a starting spot. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I will leave this open for more opinions, as I still have a fair time to go till the summer :)

How big is your squad, could you not free up a slice of your wages by selling off a load of possible deadmeat? I know you've probably thought of that already but meh.. Could you use a smaller squad for a season or two while your debts are cut and rely on him scoring as much as he is, obviously winning more or as much in prize money/TV Revenue?

How big is your squad, could you not free up a slice of your wages by selling off a load of possible deadmeat? I know you've probably thought of that already but meh.. Could you use a smaller squad for a season or two while your debts are cut and rely on him scoring as much as he is, obviously winning more or as much in prize money/TV Revenue?

Well, I do try and cut the deadwood at the end of each season, and normally replace them with either extremely cheap youngsters on low contracts, or older players who have been released on a free, normally on low contracts as well. I have a squad of 24. So it's not massive, and my current wage bill stands at 800k, when I am allowed 2.2m a week. So I am quite far under that, and manage my wages quite well, it's just I only get 20k fans for a sell out, which isn't alot of money, I could do with getting my stadium up to around 30/40k to even consider breaking even without having to sell my best players. So far I have sold most my best players, normally one each summer for around £30-40m, and then buy a replacement for under £5m, now I appreciate this is fine and dandy, but if I want to win the league/Champions league, I need to hold on to my best players, if I had the team with all the players I have had in the past, even at their current state, I could dominate the league, but at the moment, I can only seem to get top 3, finishing 2nd 3 times. Mainly because ******* Everton spend 200m every summer and properly **** everyone up in the league and only lose one game a season.

That is irony at its very best

I know right, they got take over about 8 years ago and have gone nuts, won the CL last 4 years or so and the league the last 6.

I bet their fans hope that will actually happen in the future lol, I mean, it's the complete opposite to whats happening to them irl.

I know right, they got take over about 8 years ago and have gone nuts, won the CL last 4 years or so and the league the last 6.

I bet their fans hope that will actually happen in the future lol, I mean, it's the complete opposite to whats happening to them irl.

As much chance of that happening as **** freezing over lol. If we ever get invested in though I shall simply weep uncontrollably with joy

Pretty sure my striker has read this thread, as he hasn't scored in 5 games now, and his avg rating for the last 5 games is 5.80. :(

Totally selling in the summer ahah! *******!

hahhahaahahahah! lol Dunc, I am quite certain he has, I did BBM him earlier and send him the link

It's ok! I finally got him to score.. but anyway.. check this out, you know that guy I was on about earlier in the thread, the one I sold to Man City...

I mean.. really? Thats the striker I sold to them about 6 years ago, he just scores millions against me :( If Leo starts doing the same thing I am going to really regret it! Although, I actually went through on away goals in this game, so it's not all bad. :)

First off what a ******* regen probably the best ive ever seen well stats wise goals ect OMFG :O ... How do you do in the league ??? If your always in the top 4 ect and what do you spend per season ??? i would probably look at selling a bit of dead wood and dell some on the other players you are looking at replacing him with !!! if you sell to or 3 you may get 100 mil so up to you.. but if he is bringing success then dont sell look at other ways to get out of the red