MadRo

Reaction score
Simply the Best
Chapter 1
‘Hello Paul,’ Ole GunnarSolskjaer greeted me as I entered the cliff, ‘Nice day for football?’
'Yeah,’ I said quickly, I didn’t want to get pulled into a discussion with him. I had to speak with the boss. I said my goodbye and strode confidently down the polished corridor to the doormarked with a brass plated emblazoned with the unforgettable words:

Alex Ferguson, Manager
I knocked and waited for the boss to answer it, to my surprise, the door opened and Brian Kidd, Ferguson’s assistant, answered it.‘Hullo Paul,’ the scot appeared like a giant at his desk. His shoulders wide and his aging face full of wisdom and savagery. He looked at me for a moment, inspecting me, and then gestured for me to speak my mind. ‘You wanted to speak to me I believe,’ His eyes boreinto mine and I blurted out,
‘I was just wondering if you were considering me for the starting XI against Chelsea this weekend boss,’ I said quickly. Ferguson’s eyes narrowed but he took a moment before gesturing for Brian Kidd to shut the door. As I heard the wooden mass slam into place Alex got to his feet.
‘Why do you think you should start at Old Trafford on Saturday Paul, what would you bring to the side?’
‘I would think you’d know that sir, especially since I’ve been at this club since 1986,’ I knew instantly itwas the wrong thing to say.
‘AND DONE ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN’!’ He roared furiously, ‘ach! Look at the other strikers! Look at your competition! Look at Eric’ He pointed out the window that faced the training pitch, where Eric Cantona was stood on the penalty spot facing Peter Schmeichel in the early morning frost. His shot thundered into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.‘Eric,’ Alex Ferguson continued, his tone slightly calmer than it had been a moment before, ‘Eric, he practises every morning, every evening… that’s why he plays, and why he’s so good! Then Ole, if he starts on the bench, look at him, he watches the play and how the passes are connected, how the defenders move and communicate. If Ole became a manager he would be among the best…but you? What do you do that warrants a place in my team?’
‘I…I don’t know,’ I said honestly, ‘but I’ll work hard, I promise you,’ the manager looked at me again.
‘Then Eff off and play your football, me and Brian will be out onto the pitch in half an hour. You want to be a professional footballer? Show me,’ I inhaled a deep breathe of Ferguson’s breathe, ashy and polluted before turning and exiting the small room.I got changed in silence, trying to ignore the inclusive reckless banter that Phil Neville and David May were exchanging, and walked out onto the large pitch at the cliff which the first team used. Down the far end I saw Eric Cantona and Peter Schmeichel embroiled in a series of penalty practise while at the near goal some of the younger guys, Becks, Scholesy, Nicky ****, Jordi Cruyff and Ronny Johnsen were aiming shots at the reserve goalkeeper, a friendly Dutch bloke. Beckham hit a Hollywood pass from across the field to me; I juggled it and crossed it backinto the penalty area where Jordi headed home. The ‘keeper picked up the ball and threw it away from his goal; and straight to my feet. The next thing I knew I was on my back and pain had erupted from my right leg. Ronny Johnsen was overme and the other players rushed over to see what was wrong.

‘I said MY BALL!’ Ronny gesticulated wildly. I pounded the hard ground with my right hand as I clutched my throbbing, ****** leg with the other.‘Get the club doctor,’ Eric said calmly and Nicky **** raced off towards the medical room, ‘Scholesy, go and tell the boss what has happened…’

Hey Jude, Don’t be sad,’ my blackberry emitted for the fortieth time that afternoon. I looked down at the screen, now grubby thanks to my pressed fingerprints. Bruce Buck. I pressed the green button and held the phone to my ear.‘Bruce,’ I answered it.
‘What the ****’s going on downthere!’ He shouted impatiently in his now faint American accent.
‘I don’t know, I’m held up in traffic. I’ve got a question, who knows about this?’ I said calmly as my driver turned down the radio.
‘There’s been a leak,’ Bruce saidin a matter-of-fact tone.
‘How bad?’ I asked the Chelsea chairman.
‘It’s trending on twitter…’ I swore so loudly that the shell shocked driver turned to look at me in a dangerous way.
‘Do you want me to give a statement when I get to the hospital?’ I asked as the club car began to moveagain.
‘No, we keeping silent at themoment, letting the doctors do what they need to do-’
‘-has he gone into theatre?’
‘Yeah, anyway, Zoe will meet younat the hospital, she hasn’t told the kids yet…even though they probably know.’
‘Okay, anything else?’ The lines of parked cars down either side of the street had now turned into Sky Sports vans with a media camp parked next to the entrance of the London chest hospital. Lights were flashing from every direction.
‘Mr Abramovich is on his way from Russia now,’ Bruce hanged up. I thanked the driver and excited the car whilstputting on my coolest sunglasses. The wave of journalists surged towards me,only to be prevented by battle scared members of the metropolitan police. As I began to walk towards the doors of the hospital I felt the glare of thetelevision cameras and I caught questions by some of the louder journalists.
‘Mr Koeman is it true that Roberto Di Matteo broke down due to a serious heart condition in training this afternoon?’ I ignored them, even if they were right…

Last edited:
Chapter 2
30.10.1997Manchester United regret to inform the club’s fans that English striker Paul Koeman has broken his right leg in three places after an unfortunate accident during training yesterday morning. As a result of this Paul Koeman would like to announce his retirement from professional football but thanked the players, staff and fans of ManchesterUnited for making his short career so memorable. Kurt, 23, has been with theclub since joining as a 12 year old in 1986 and made a total of 25 league appearances, scoring 5 goals.’ All of my teammates had visited me in hospital except Ronny Johnsen, who Becks had said was devastated from what had happened. The biggest thing I needed to consider was what I was going to do next.Though United would eventually pay me compensation I was 23 years old, had little or no qualifications and a broken leg which, the doctors told me, would mean I’d be lucky to walk again. I had never really considered myself as manager material, but being in a coaching capacity would be a fun experience and would let me stay in the sport I loved! Because of this desire I began to fully concentrate on achieving the goal of my coaching badges which I completed within a couple of benefit-reliant years. I’d always hoped to return to Old Trafford as a coach but a now Sir Alex Ferguson refused to even speak to me. It was then Chelsea swooped for me, as Gianluca Vialli persuaded me to become a member of his coaching staff. I was happy with Chelsea and worked alongside players such as John Terry and Frank Lampard inthe youth team. In 2007 Avram Grant became manager after the scandalous decision to sack Jose Mourinho, with whom I was close friends. Grant’s first decision was to sack me. Though Mourinho offered me the assistant manager’s job at Inter Milan I elected to stay with England and work with David Moyes at Everton. I stayed with the toffees quietly doing my job for nearly 5 years until Roberto Di Matteo, with whom I’d worked with at Chelsea, became the manager of the London side. After the close of the ultimately successful2011/12 season Roberto offered me a first team coaching role at the team I’d watched constantly on Match of the Day for over a decade…2.6.2012 Zoe Di Matteo has forever earnedm y respect as she waited nervously in the London chest hospital for several long and dreadful hours. I tried to comfort her as best as I could while surgeons and medical orderlies bustled around. Though I’d obviously been to hospital before I had never been to one in this sort of organised chaos; Chelsea Football Club had released a statement to confirm that Roberto had suffered anurgent heart problem during a training session that afternoon and had beentaken to the London Chest Hospital for surgery. They also asked for the pressto respect the Di Matteo family’s privacy during this time.‘How iz he?’ The calm, polishedvoice of Roman Abramovich, the billionaire owner of Chelsea since 2003 inquired.‘I don’t know sir,’ I jumped tomy feet to offer the visibly shaken Russian my seat, ‘though I think he’s goingto be all right,’ Roman looked relieved but still concerned, and he took over in the role of comforting Zoe. Another hour passed in silence as we waited for news, whether it was good or ill. Finally, a welsh doctor who looked more like Joey Barton than I liked told us that an operation on Roberto’s heart had worked and though he was still in critical condition, he was going to survive.‘His heart failed due to a sudden increase in stress levels and cholesterol,’ the doctor told us, looking at Roman Abramovich in an accusing manner. ‘Could there be issues at his workplace?’ I knew he was talking about Roman’s tendency to sack his managersas well as the John Terry court case.‘Why are you looking zat me?’Abramovich declared, ‘His job is safe, after all, he won the Champions League!’ The Joey Barton lookalike rolled his eyes and continued.‘Roberto will have to be fitted with a pacemaker and it would be extremely dangerous for him to continue to work at such a high pressure job.’‘He has to step down?’ Abramovich asked, hoping he had misunderstood.‘Aye,’ the doctor nodded andAbramovich swore, startling Zoe, and turned to me as the welsh doctor invited Zoe to visit her unconscious husband.‘Do you want the job?’ He asked me.‘I take it you mean the job,’ I answered, already knowingthe answer he would give as well as mine to that. We both said yes in unison…
TREASON!’
The Sun sure can pick their headlines even as they used top class grammar for a change. I was hoping for my first front page headline to be portraying me in a better light but myself, Roman Abramovich and half the Chelsea board were being criticised for binning Di Matteo and hiring the inexperienced Paul Koeman, even though the former was unconscious after suffering a heart attack that threatened his life. Bruce Buck had quickly organised a 2 year contract for me and a press conference to present me the next day.I stayed in the hospital overnight but didn’t sleep a wink, partly due to the fact that a good friend of mine had very nearly died, but mostly because I had got myself into a big mess: The Chelsea managerial hot seat, however, speaking to a very tired but relieved Roberto first thing in the morning put things back into perspective. Roman had stayed the night at his posh London home but his shiny car arrived at half eight to take me to the training ground. This time I allowed myself to speak toa couple of journalists as my pale face was beamed around the world on SkySports news. ‘Mr Koeman, what’s it like to bethe eighth manager of Chelsea FC since Roman Abramovich took over in 2003?’‘Mr Koeman, do you feel any pressure in replacing the man who won Chelsea’s first ever European Cup?’‘Mr Koeman, why do you think the owner decided to replace Roberto Di Matteo so early after the Italian fell foulto illness?’ I had the urge to punch this journalist in the face but instead simply turned and walked away towards Abramovich’s car (which was worth more than most men make during their lifetime) breathing slowly. I didn’t want to get into serious trouble before I’d even signed a contract!

Last edited:
Chapter 3
Alex Ferguson placed the flat piece of paper down in front of me, smiling kindly. My dad was sat next to mein his panelled room and he was beaming even more than I was. It was he who had long inspired me to go into plying my trade on the football field having played with Manchester United, Nottingham Forest and Southampton during the 70s and early 80s. I’d grown up on the south coast for several years before Ron Atkinson invited me up to the cliff for a trial; and the rest was history. I could smell the contract through my keen nostrils. It was clean and smooth, a fresh slate. Here, you can use this pen,’Alex pushed a silver fountain pen into my hand and I instantly moved to sign on the dotted line. ‘There we go Paul, congratulations.’ Alex Ferguson shook my hand…
The temptation to spin on my new chair was too much to resist so I pushed my feet off from the floor and rotated 360 degrees. Slightly dazed after repeating this feat several times, I stopped and leaned back; placing my long legs on the mahogany desk. The signing of my contract had taken only a matter of seconds as I scrawled my name at the bottom of my contract, shaken Bruce Buck and Roman Abramovich by the hand and then posing for a couple of photos for the website and Chelsea TV. Roberto Di Matteo’s PA had come earlier in the day and removed his things so the normally lavish room appeared rather barren. Though it had only been my office for twenty minutes I had already began to redecorate as I carefully placed a large canvas showing me signing my contract next to a slightly smaller picture displaying that heroic night in Munich that May. The most personal decoration I added was a small framed picture of a laughing blond haired child with rosy red cheeks and my piercing blue eyes.Hey Jude, Don’t be sad,’ my blackberry chanted. I picked it up without looking at who was calling me and answered it with a courteous ‘hello.’
‘Hi Paul,’ I recognised the voice immediately, well, I had to as my ex congratulated me on my promotion. Carol and I had met in a bowling alley eight years earlier and it was true to the old love at first sight saying. She also had beautiful azure eyes but had well rounded blond hair in contrast to myc urly brown. I’d proposed on the London eye in 2006 and we married a few months later; after she told me surprisingly that she was pregnant with our child. David Michael Koeman was born in May 2007 and was named for one of my great footballing friends and a player I had always had a lot of respect for. However, I always knew that my workaholic approach would unnerve Carol as she was a laid back and glamorous woman who liked me but never really loved me. The divorce proceedings had been concludedt he previous autumn so I was still a little raw to the idea of only spending the occasional weekend with my son.‘So, how are you?’ She asked me after stopping herself going on a tangent about what The Sun was calling me.
‘As well as someone in mycondition can be Carol,’ I answered her in my usual slightly sarcastic manner,‘I just want to know if the newsagent took a double take when she saw you turnto the back page.’
‘Don’t be silly Paul,’ shesnapped, ‘all I’m doing is being polite and considerate and as usual you don’t take it at all seriously! I’d be surprised if you’re still in charge at the end of the series to be honest!’ I banged my head on the hard desk.
‘It’s football Carol!’ I remindedher, ‘we have seasons, not all that series rubbish,’ Carol had always had trouble grasping the concept of football. She still didn’t even understand the offside rule!
‘Anyway,’ I continued, ‘what is it you really want; you never call out of hospitality. I know you.’ I could tell she chuckled faintly at the other end of the line.
‘Well, I was just wondering if you could look after David this weekend,’ my heart leapt, ‘you see, Stacey’s got tickets for The wizard of Oz and she was going to go with Gavin but he’s now going to work and so she didn’t want the tickets to go to waste so-’
‘-I get it! I get it!’ I interrupted her and thankfully she didn’t see a need to continue.‘Well, thanks, you can pick himup from pre-school on Friday. Thanks again!’ She hanged up and I breathed a fresh sigh of relief. There was a knock on the door and Eddie Newton, the assistant manager, walked in cautiously, nodded in my direction respectfully and handed me a white envelope before turning and silently walking out again. I frowned at this puzzling behaviour and, using my new crafted letter opener, opened the letter and stared at the two short but important words.
I Resign

Last edited:
Chapter 4
Paul, you have taken over the reins at Chelsea right in the middle of what has already been a very hectic summer, firstly do you have any transfer targets of your own and do you know how much you will be allowed to spend?’ Isaac Upson, of The Guardian, asked me intriguingly. I was still fazed by the bright camera flashes that had started like machine gun fire when Bruce Buck, Richard Attenborough, Ron Gourlay and I entered the large white press room. A large banner emblazoned with the famous Chelsea lion had been hung up behind us at the long table at the front. I was formally introduced to the cruel journalists who had criticised me openly the day before, after that, Bruce and the rest of the board members invited questions from the army of journalists. It had taken ten minutes already to get around to Isaac Upson. I took a moment to consider the question before answering.
‘Well…’ I began, ‘we all know that Roberto has spent a lot of money on incredibly talented players: Hazard, Oscar, Marin, Victor Moses, César Azpilicueta, and I want to emphasise that all of these players have no need to worry or fret over their futures. However,there are areas of the team that I feel we can definitely improve in a few key areas, and also I can envisage a couple of departures from the club which of course will open up more space for who I want to bring. How much I will need for those transfers? I don’t know’ I heard the scratching of pens as the journalists scribbled notes on their writing pads. For the next hour I proceeded to allow the press to hassle me, asking me questions about the ‘pressure’ of taking such a high profile job without any previous managerial experience, the impending trial of John Terry, about my tactical approach to the game and of course to my 11 year old affiliation with Manchester United. I answered all of the questions safely but shocked the murder of crows on the final question by saying:‘Yes, I was at Man United for 11 years, but that was it. I played 25 times for them and scored 5 goals and as a player the club treated me with respect. When I had to retire due to injury, however, Sir Alex Ferguson and co. refused to speak to me about swelling up the coaching staff with my presence. Because it was obvious they didn’t want me I leapt at the chance to work at Chelsea. I was raised the United way, but I’ll be remembered for showing the world the Chelsea way…’

Last edited: