Simulate whole season, long-term play

Goofyco

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just need some advice.

I would love to play a game with main focus on long-term play and club development.

Since my laptop is quite slow I'd like to buy and sell players, manage the staff and then simulate the whole season (takes ca. 1,5 h-2 h, e.g. overnight or when I am not a home).

If I let my assistent manager do all the rest then the results are quite inconsitent. Sometimes if i select a good team (like Dortmund or Leverkusen in the Bundesliga) i win the leage or another title, then, next season, the expectations are much higher and i get sacked during the 2nd or 3rd season. In another game, I also tried to develop a specific tactic for the whole season and instruct the assistent manager to use this tactic. This mostly led to good results in the league (many wins against smaller teams) but I often lost the important games against strong teams and in the knock-out phase of competitions.

Can somebody give me advice how i can be more succesful when simulating the whole season?
If I manage the whole season myself (every game and then watch only the key events in fast play) then I am very succesful but one season takes 2-3 days or even weeks! I am tired of it now...

Haha, if you're getting tired of the game, I would suggest taking a break from it? I personally do not see the point of simulating an entire season...even when people go far into their saves, I think very few people actually simulate entire seasons. because when you do that, as you said, you have no control over anything, and then you have to accept whatever results come your way, and whatever your assistant manager does with the team. and when you say simulate, I assume you do that by "holidaying", in which case you are likely to get sacked, because which club pays a manager to holiday for the entire season? :p

I'd say if a season's only taking you 2-3 days, then you're very lucky. They'll be a lot of players that have to take weeks to finish a season, mainly because of computer performance.

One suggestion though, would be to have the games playing in Commentary only. That's what I do, but then I've been playing since it was only commentary, and if you manage your subscriptions, and remove any subscriptions you don't need to hear everything about, then that can speed the game up a little. Also if you go to (I think it's) Match Detail (I'm not playing just now), then set the competition detail to minimum, then it will process a little quicker.

But as malhar's saying, if youre getting tired of the game, then take a week or two's break, and you'll be craving it for when FM13 comes out, with FMC, which will be suitable to you're style of play. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the hints and tips, Malhar and Tattie

I know that simulating/holidaying is kind of stupid. I also prefer to control as much as I can, even adapt the tactics during the game and then watch the whole game (even not at the fastest speed). I think thats what FM12 is all about, and the realism is terrific (not so the graphics ;)

I remember a game when I played away from home and I noticed that the (slightly weaker) oppenent team used pressing. I could not play out of defense as I usually do and I saw that I could not win the game, because i lost possession too easily. Then i changed the role of my MC from AP/A to DLP/S and set this player as playmaker. Suddenly my FBs and CDs could pass to this player, I could turn the game around and created a lot of goal opportunities. 15 minutes later somehow the AI recognized it and started to close down on this player and I needed too adapt my tactics again... Thats just an example of the dephths and beauty of the game.

I see the simulation of a whole season kind of as another game that is also quite interesting. This is why I want to try it. I think it is quite fun to hire the best available assistent manager which has a preferred fromation and playing style that matchs your team squad and then buy and sell players each season. I decided to try it again now but I changed the supporter patience and board ambition/pressure using the editor. I hope that i will not get sacked too fast again ;)

Last edited:
Id did that too and it just doeasn't work well no mather what you try. I came till season 2025 once with i think Ajax and I was rocking in Dutch league, but never amo through quarter final of champions league and I constantly lost players couse they wanted to move to a bigger club. In FM Scout i had the best overall percentage of current ability and potentional ability but lost to bigger clubs every season.

I now play with Schalke and made a very talented and young team. Last season i played 6 games in Bundesliga and won all but then went on holiday for the rest of the season. I fell in 10th place in the middle of the season and came back from holiday with 8 games to play till the end. Won 7 and draw 1. I think it's because of team talk and reacting with substitutes and rotating the team but I'm not shure. I will play normal game from now since I'm in season 3 and don't want to be sacked couse of bigger expectations.

Hi Dioniz,

I think that we have to wait for FM 13 (no so long anymore) and try the new classic mode for long-term play. I know your story too well ;)
If you wanna be succesful in FM 12 and win the big matches you really need to adapt the tactics during the game. For me also giving specific man marking instructions is very important to be succesful. These instructions can only be given before each match and cannot be saved with the formation that the assistant manager should use. This is a big disadvantage for me. For example i always play with 2 Attacking midfielders or Wingers and instruct them to man-mark the Fullbacks or Wingbacks of the opponent's team. Without these instructions the AI teams can easily outplay my team on both flanks and i cannot prevent them from hitting dangerous crosses...

Best,
Goofyco