Sir Alex Ferguson risks talk of another Manchester United treble

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 2K

Mike.

Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson risks talk of another Manchester United treble
The veteran manager says Manchester United must 'take the chance' to repeat their 1999 feat after an injury crisis eases

(I have bolded what i think are particularly interesting points)

Sir Alex Ferguson risks talk of another Manchester United treble | Football | The Guardian

It was a bold message from Sir Alex Ferguson, a definite shift from his usual modus operandi. In previous seasons the Manchester United manager has shied away from talking publicly about emulating the successes of the treble-winning 1999 team, not wanting to say anything that could be construed as overly presumptuous or tempting fate. On this occasion there was no such restraint.

"It is 14 games in two months if everything goes our way and, at United, we are used to this kind of thing, which is to our advantage. In the past I have said many times that to win just one trophy would be great. But we have to take the chance of winning all three now. We can repeat the treble of 1999."

His team are seven points clear in the Premier League, with an FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City to follow the two Champions League matches against Chelsea. What prompted Ferguson to be so emboldened is not clear, but what can be said with certainty is that it was far removed from the usual mantra. Before 1999 Ferguson commented that "deep down, I know it would be impossible to win the league, the European Cup and the FA Cup". Since that epic night at Camp Nou he has talked of the treble being "a one-off, something that will never be done again".

The manager is encouraged for many reasons, from the gradual easing of a recently dire injury situation to the renascent form of Wayne Rooney and the sense, once again, that this is a footballer who can trouble the most accomplished defence. So much has been said and written about Rooney over the past few days it can be easy to forget he scored a wonderfully taken hat-trick at West Ham on Saturday. Ferguson hasn't. "Scoring is what strikers are all about," he said. "When you are scoring goals, the confidence is great, you never think you are going to stop."

Apart from that, all other talk of Rooney was off-bounds. "I'm not talking about him at all," Ferguson had said in response to the first question at his pre-match news conference. It was a tense, fractious event, but that was always going to be the way after the Football Association's decision to impose a two-match ban on Rooney that, barring his appeal being successful, takes him out of the FA Cup semi-final.

Ferguson has become convinced the FA is victimising his club and the blanket coverage of a 24/7 media has served only to exacerbate his disdainful feelings towards the people reporting it. These days it is a sad reflection on his relationship with a press he has come to think of as a "monster" that the only true insight into the man tends to come from interviews overseas, the latest being a question-and-answer session with Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport in which the most successful manager in the business spoke with a freedom that is rarely evident in the country where he lives.

This was where Ferguson spoke of emulating the class of 1999 and it was also his platform for speaking in support of Carlo Ancelotti, acutely aware that the Chelsea manager is likely to pay with his job if United are to reach the European semi-finals.

"It's incredible for Carlo, he won the Double last season. How can Chelsea think of changing such a coach? Carlo is a fantastic guy, a really nice person. There is nothing really between our two teams. Both possess excellent footballers, both have international experience, experienced good coaches. Really, I don't know where all the criticism comes from."

The lack of patience in the modern game has long riled Ferguson and there were supportive words, too, for Fernando Torres, the £50m striker still waiting for his first Chelsea goal. "Of course he will score again. When Chelsea signed him, everyone was saying: 'What a great signing.' Now, because he has not scored, he is a bad signing. Can people be more ridiculous? Maybe he is just settling in from the Liverpool system to the Chelsea system."

Ferguson was even willing to speak about José Mourinho's chances of succeeding him at Old Trafford. "I am a great friend with José, we often speak of his future. I can understand his desire to come back to England because there is more freedom for a manager here. But it is a difficult one for me to tell him when this position [at United] will become available."

Seventy later this year, Ferguson once said that was the age "you'll be wheeling me up the hill to the Royal British Legion". Retirement, he now says, is not an option. "I will continue as long as I have the good energy that I have enjoyed all my life. My father retired on his 65th birthday, and one year later he was dead. The worst thing you can do is put on your slippers. People say things like: 'I've worked for 45 years, I have the right to rest.' Not at all, one has a duty to keep active."

Yet football can be a trying environment sometimes, even for the best in their positions. Back in Manchester, United's mood can accurately be gauged by the way Rooney was kept back from the part of training in which Uefa allows photographers and television cameramen. Having reached London, a glowering Ferguson said it was because the striker had a bruised shin and needed treatment. He was not convincing. Various other people within the club were openly acknowledging it was purely to stop the media getting their picture.

Rooney will be fit. Rafael da Silva is also available to come back in at right-back and Ferguson is deliberating about bringing back Rio Ferdinand for his first match for two months now the deposed England captain has managed a full week of training.

United have not won in 10 games at Stamford Bridge since April 2002, but Ferguson did not seem overly concerned. "Last year they beat us with an offside goal; last month David Luiz should have been sent off."

If Utd were to win another treble, it will be testament to how great a manager SAF is. And tbh, I think he is right-people enjoy slagging off Man Utd, and I do feel he has a right to say Man Utd are victimised. I don't even have to give examples-just look at various websites. It's about time the press gave Man Utd, SAF and the players a break instead of all the negative press.
And I do, have a very sneaky feeling, that Man Utd COULD get another treble. And I would be absolutely staggered, if anybody could begrudge SAF that honour.
And he is speaking so much sense. Managers are hardly given a sniff of a chance to succeed. Like Paul Ince at Notts County-sacked after 5 months. And what happened to Chris Houghton and Bobby Robson were disgraceful.
I actually want SAF to keep going as long as possible. He is quite simply, legendary and the game will be a lot worse without him.

Unlike Arsenal, this will probably spur Utd on - Arsenal start getting giddy at the knees whenever someone mentions anything being "easy" or them being "favourites" for anything. That and they just get scared whenever going into a big match (bar Barcelona this year) - a little like Aaron Lennon at the Bernabau ;)

I genuinely don't think they will, though. Maybe the domestic double but I think Barca/RM are too strong for everyone this year. I hope the latter wins it if Schalke or Shakhtar don't upset the odds at some point!

The league is undoubtedly the priority, but I wonder how tempting it is to go all out in the FA Cup semi and try to put Citeh in their place...

@atj09 - Loads of clubs get negative press. It happens to Arsenal, Chelsea etc. > I don't think Man U are victimised by the media, but they probably are a club that fans love to hate.

Unlike Arsenal, this will probably spur Utd on - Arsenal start getting giddy at the knees whenever someone mentions anything being "easy" or them being "favourites" for anything. That and they just get scared whenever going into a big match (bar Barcelona this year) - a little like Aaron Lennon at the Bernabau ;)

I genuinely don't think they will, though. Maybe the domestic double but I think Barca/RM are too strong for everyone this year. I hope the latter wins it if Schalke or Shakhtar don't upset the odds at some point!

The league is undoubtedly the priority, but I wonder how tempting it is to go all out in the FA Cup semi and try to put Citeh in their place...

@atj09 - Loads of clubs get negative press. It happens to Arsenal, Chelsea etc. > I don't think Man U are victimised by the media, but they probably are a club that fans love to hate.

Fair point. Just seems the Rooneygate incident took the focus off his fantastic one man demolition of West Ham, and it still goes on.

United do appear to be victimised at times, but let's be honest. we do tend to deserve all the press attention most of the time. Sometimes I think the players and staff should do more to stay out of the media spotlight, they don't tend to help themselves at times.

That said, SAF is a master, much like Mourinho, of taking the media pressure off his players. It is surprising that he is talking about a treble so early, but he seems to know what, and when, to say things to get the best out of his players. He uses the media as much as they use him and United.

United do appear to be victimised at times, but let's be honest. we do tend to deserve all the press attention most of the time. Sometimes I think the players and staff should do more to stay out of the media spotlight, they don't tend to help themselves at times.

That said, SAF is a master, much like Mourinho, of taking the media pressure off his players. It is surprising that he is talking about a treble so early, but he seems to know what, and when, to say things to get the best out of his players. He uses the media as much as they use him and United.

I agree that sometimes players/staff should do more to stay off-radar, but there are some little "blighters" who are desperate to find anything bad not just about Man Utd and their players, but pretty much any footballer to satisfy the anti-footballer populous that exists, and its does me nut in sometimes.

If there's one man who knows what he's talking about, it's SAF.

It's quite astonishing that a Man Utd team who have been, frankly, quite poor [in comparison to other successful Man Utd sides] are still in contention for all the major honours at this stage. I don't think they will win the treble, maybe the domestic double at best but Barca and Real Madrid are too strong in the Champions' League. If Man Utd win the Premier League and [as widely predicted] invest relatively heavily on new players in the summer then the other big English teams should be seriously worried about winning the league for the next 5 seasons.

Agree with everything you said. Apart from The last sentence, and the bit about Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Barcelona are probably the best team this year yes. No real argument. But that doesn't make them unbeatable. A full strength Man Utd team has arguable the best defense in Europe which can stop Barcelona from scoring. And with United's attacking talent, and a average Barcelona defense, United can win against them.
Real Madrid also rely to much on Ronaldo. Such against Tottenham they didn't need him as much, but then Tottenham were down to 10 men, playing away from home, and were rather confused with the Lennon injury thing. And as proven this season, Barcelona can dominate Real Madrid, and if Barcelona can Dominate them, United can by logic.

To be honest, the media do tend to latch onto bad things that United players do. Like the Rooney elbow. Was a week's worth of papers all talking about that. Yet when Carragher went in strong on Nani and gave him a gash, The media just turned on Nani for getting up, when they should of been talking about the reckless challenge from Carragher.

Utd won't win the treble, as said before in this thread barca/real will prove too strong. And even on their side of the draw, if they beat chelsea, they can't be clear favourites vs schalke now! If they manage it it'll be an amazing achievement.

As for the victimization, most of it is their own doing. Rooney having stupid outbursts like the one recently. SAF saying stupid things about a ref and getting punished. He's allowed to speak out, every manager criticizes referee decisions. But you can't go saying he was deliberately biased, and that you were worried as soon as he was appointed to the match.

Agree with everything you said. Apart from The last sentence, and the bit about Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Barcelona are probably the best team this year yes. No real argument. But that doesn't make them unbeatable. A full strength Man Utd team has arguable the best defense in Europe which can stop Barcelona from scoring. And with United's attacking talent, and a average Barcelona defense, United can win against them.
So basically you just agreed with all his points for united, and disagreed with all against. Biased much.

You won't stop barca scoring over 2 legs. Not with the best defence in the world, which you do not have anyway. And how is alves/puyol/pique/abidal an "average" defense?

Real Madrid also rely to much on Ronaldo. Such against Tottenham they didn't need him as much, but then Tottenham were down to 10 men, playing away from home, and were rather confused with the Lennon injury thing. And as proven this season, Barcelona can dominate Real Madrid, and if Barcelona can Dominate them, United can by logic.
It's true, he has carried them alot. But they have alot of other match winners too. Don't make excuses for tottenham first of all, they were outclassed. The same would've happened with 11 men, except they'd have the option of 11 behind the ball. The same sent off excuse was used when barca humiliated arsenal.

And secondly, the 5-0 vs real shocked everyone, but it doesn't make them a much worse team. You have to remember that wasn't far into the season, with a bunch of players that hadn't gelled, and a new manager. They're a completely different team now and have to be among the favourites.

Last edited:
I honestly think Chelsea are the biggest stumbling block in a United treble attempt. If we can beat them in the CL, I am confident that we would get past Schalke/Inter and match anyone in a final. The league is far from over yet, but as the injury problems seem to be improving I am pretty confident. The City game could go either way though. It is the only silverware they are chasing, and they are always tight games.

It's still far too early to be talking about it though, perhaps it is SAF mind games ahead of a big game against Chelsea? I can only see it putting pressure on the United players though.

When it comes to the Champions League, theres a chance that anyone can win, regardless of who the opponents are. It's happened before, and it will happen again. All it takes for the biggest clubs is one hiccup, and they can get punished for it.

I think it is clear for anyone with an hint of brain cell, that the media is so london based Bias. The media is mainly based in the capital and it favours there own with out a doubt.

I think it is clear for anyone with an hint of brain cell, that the media is so london based Bias. The media is mainly based in the capital and it favours there own with out a doubt.

I disagree. The media will do anything to sell a story, or a paper etc. It doesn't matter whether it is detrimental to United, Chelsea or even their own country's International ambitions. Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney seem to spend more time on the front pages than the back ones.

So basically you just agreed with all his points for united, and disagreed with all against. Biased much.

You won't stop barca scoring over 2 legs. Not with the best defence in the world, which you do not have anyway. And how is alves/puyol/pique/abidal an "average" defense?

The only thing he said against United was that they couldn't win the Champions league because Barcelona and Real Madrid are to strong. I disagree with that. I agree that Barcelona is probably the best team. and I sort of agreed that United couldn't beat them by saying "A full strength United team could". Which means I think only a fully strength'd United team could beat them. My wording was poor. I'm sorry.

And they are average. They are a team that closes down all other the pitch, and they mainly win the ball back in the opponents half. But as soon as a team gets past that bit, they look average from what I've seen. And its worse then Puyol is out. They look terrible at the back.
And what. I said arguable the best defense. The pairing of Vidic and Rio when they are fit is unbeatable. Evra down the left is one of the left backs, and Rafael down the right is looking brilliant albeit worrying, but normally has help from the holding midfielders.

Last edited:
I disagree. The media will do anything to sell a story, or a paper etc. It doesn't matter whether it is detrimental to United, Chelsea or even their own country's International ambitions. Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney seem to spend more time on the front pages than the back ones.

Yes i know, but it is common knowledge that the papers are bias to there own... And with all the nationals being based in London, they are biased. You see nothing on Essiens tackle on MOTD, Papers or anything... Many people only see what the media shows them, due to not being able to afford sky or go to the games.. So the media has all the control.

I dont think United will win the treble, I think the stumbling block for them is Europe, personally I think its Real Madrids year. As for the Premier league, they will drop points, you cant go two nil down, okay they got back but against West Ham, if they go two down against a better team they will struggle, its all down to whether the other teams can capitalise on Uniteds mistakes, and Arsenal just dont seem like they want to looking at the results. No point predicting the outcome of the FA Cup as we all know anything can happen!

would love to for the lads to win another treble, best way to shut all the doubters up. I can't see it happening though but I think at least a double is on the cards.

would love to for the lads to win another treble, best way to shut all the doubters up. I can't see it happening though but I think at least a double is on the cards.

I Just want Ed to go out in the best possible way to be honest.. Woud love to see him Lifting the Champions league at wembley in may, would make my Year to see Ed go out on the best possible high.

I Just want Ed to go out in the best possible way to be honest.. Woud love to see him Lifting the Champions league at wembley in may, would make my Year to see Ed go out on the best possible high.

it would be great to see Ed leave on the highest note but as a fan, i have been saying it all season that for me, winning that 19th title is more important than anything, winning anything else would be a bonus.

it would be great to see Ed leave on the highest note but as a fan, i have been saying it all season that for me, winning that 19th title is more important than anything, winning anything else would be a bonus.

Yeah that is off course the realism main goal, as that is the most important, but i have a weakness for fantasy fairy tales and the only way we could do Ed proper. would be to win the treble, The best keeper we have had in a long time( yes i think he is better then the great dane) deserves the best.

The Flying Dutchman <3

Back