Kyanite

Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson's 2007/08 Manchester United

[video=youtube;1qHroixomQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHroixomQ4[/video]

Note: Watch first minute of the video for goal examples and last two minutes.

tactic.png

Hello, it's me again. That weird guy who likes to recreate real life football tactics in Football Manager and gets ignored because people prefer game breaking tactics instead :p But on a serious note, Fergie's Premier League & Champions League winning side of 2007/08 has been requested a lot and it's finally here. If you want to see my other tactical recreations, click on my fm-base profile and check out my other threads started or hop on to my YouTube channel from the vied above and find them on my channel!

So, wide play, speed, crosses... to cut a long story short, your team will play some phenomenal counter-attacking football at blistering pace with the right players that very closely mimics the Manchester United side of 07/08. It is worth mentioning that Fergie used to drop the DLF (Rooney) in to midfield to create more of a 4-2-3-1 in Europe or in difficult Premier League games, so that's up to you to do by fiddling about with the blue print I've given you.

Evra is the left wing back, whilst Jones closely mimics Wes Brown much better - a center back who can also play at right back and provide balance to the team defensively. Your DLP is Carrick, your CM is Scholes and Pogba is a perfect player in this role as he will score long shots (I believe he has 18 long shots) for fun like Scholes used to love. Your IF is your Ronaldo, and your WM is your Giggs. Now in real life, Fergie used to swap these around and resultantly modify their roles a little bit depending on their opposition or sometimes we'd see the likes of Park, Hargreaves or Nani being used out wide instead. This is all modifiable by you as you manage your team. Regardless, with the default settings, both wide players will occasionally swap sides to make them more difficult to man mark. Your DLF is Rooney who used to drop in to midfield and your CF is your Tevez. In this case, Ibrahimovic worked really well as he probably offered a bit more in the air than Tevez did, making him a perfect advocate for this direct counter-attacking approach.

The test below as always was just plug and play without much thought, not dealing with morale, holidaying between matches etc. So, I'm sure you'll achieve even better results.

The Team Instructions
image.png

The Player Instructions
GK - None
WBL – None
FBR – Hold Position, Fewer Risky Passes
CBR – Mark Tighter, Pass It Shorter
CBL – Mark Tighter
DLP – Mark Tighter, Tackle Harder
CM – More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes (Scholes)
IF – Close Down More, Mark Tighter, Roam From Position
WM – Roam From Position, Cross More Often
DLF – Shoot Less Often, Roam From Position, Move In To Channels
CF - None

The Opposition Instructions
None

The Training Regime
Match Tactics until 100% familiarity, then Defensive Positioning... or make it Attacking if you really want to mimic Fergie.

The Results
Some decent results against good teams but dodgy towards the end due to not dealing with player unhappiness, fitness, holidaying between matches etc & managing properly. Also recommend considering dropping back the DLF in to midfield like Fergie used to do in Europe against the top teams which isn't something I did when testing. These results as usual, just key highlights on full speed without much thought or management, so hopefully you should do much better.

results.png

The Download
MIRROR 1: Download

Last edited:
So cool to have a real 442 which works !
just changed the complete forward to advanced forward
five first games with Nantes

View attachment 81282

Hi Kyanite! I just started using this in Fm 18 with Man utd, and the first matches i just crush the opponents! :D
I just wonder one thing, Should the wide midfielder be a right footed to? As the WM and IF swap positions all the time? :D