Six years away from FM - learned how important mental attributes are nowadays!(story)

Spideydreamer

Reaction score
Finished 7th in three consecutive seasons with Swansea with a growing points tally each year. Really grew tired of them bottling it when it really mattered and my best players demanding bigger moves after one good season (the constant replacing became exhausting!). Anyways my last year put the nail in the coffin when we were top at Christmas only to go on a nightmare run and end up in 7th for the third year in a row. These were decent seasons tbf as Europa League qualification never became an expectation from the board, but I really thought we could of at least gotten 4th in that third year (I was of course secretly optimistic about a title big after being top at Christmas). I know exactly what I did wrong now after hours of reading and watching tutorials all over YouTube (this is my first FM in 6 years, so it is all pretty new and challenging for me) - I did not pay enough attention to the mental attributes of my team. They were bottlers because they were, by definition, bottlers! Lowest determination, bravery, and work rate in the league. Had I gone back to the start with that knowledge I think things would have been different. I know it seems like a rookie error and a pretty stupid one, but I just never really focused on it! I am pretty sure you could get away with it back in the day.

Anyways, the West Ham job popped up, and they have been narrowly escaping relegation every year, my Swans even hammered them in most games I played against them too. I thought about the potential to start again right at the dawn of a new pre-season and try building a mentally formidable unit across the board. Plus, great stadium and facilities and an overall massive club with a proud tradition. Got some great bargains of players in their final years (David Luiz, Angel Di Maria, and Fernandinho all on small fees - all around 32-33 years old) with winning mentalities and lots of experience - they have definitely proven to be the anchor to my team's success so far, providing the intelligence and hook for the younger more dynamic players to catapult from. Also benefitted from Bournemouth getting relegated, as they had a great squad assembled over three great seasons for them (although I missed out on Robertson the LB to Everton), with Jordan Ibe and my best signing Fabian Delph coming from there.

I guess the moral of the story is that mental attributes are key to this game nowadays, and I didn't even think about them for two years. I am finally enjoying the game again after that horrific post-Jan run with Swansea the bottlers. Seeing this hungry and ferocious West Ham team diving into tackles, heroically clearing balls off the line, and charging towards the goal like a stampede is so satisfying after that lifeless squad I built in Wales. Looks like my former side are going to be fighting seriously for relegation too, so maybe I overachieved with them anyways. I can't wait to smash them!

Any similar stories where you built a team of Spurs incarnates or just grew tired of a club and felt reinvigorated by a new team?