So whats the "right" way to play this game successfully?

• Thread starter Thread starter karan733
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1K

karan733

Reaction score
So I've been playing this game since the mid noughties and feel like FM has got progressively more difficult to play (which is ok) but with the 2013 edition I just cant seem to win no matter what I try.

In previous versions I've always tried to build a tactic (usually 4231) to play slow, possession football and 'working the ball into the box' It normally means I have a lot shots total but mostly they hit the target/ back of the net. The 2 in midfield pick up second balls, and feed to the 3 in front, with a poaching striker to pick up throughballs or rebounds.

I've started two games (one as Derby and one as Nott Forest) and tried to use this tactic with no success, and have spent the last two days playing around with 442's, 451's and others to try and get a run together, but both games im down in the relegation zones facing the sack.

Reading here it seems I cant play the game the way I used to...so how should I be playing it? What should I be looking out for/ fiddling with/ bribing to take two mid table teams and keep them in mid table???

Firstly morale is so much more important in this years FM so make sure you criticise and praise players when necessary to keep it up. But in terms of your tactics two things...

Firstly i've found when i go smaller teams and want to play possession football its usually more effective to play 3 in the cm "position" but change them to more attacking or defensive in their "role" instead of having AM or DM positions.
And second it seems like its now more important to have one tactic for the easier games and another for harder games to avoid getting tumped by bigger sides.

P.S. well done for not just mindlessly complaining and actually looking for help :)

So I've been playing this game since the mid noughties and feel like FM has got progressively more difficult to play (which is ok) but with the 2013 edition I just cant seem to win no matter what I try.

In previous versions I've always tried to build a tactic (usually 4231) to play slow, possession football and 'working the ball into the box' It normally means I have a lot shots total but mostly they hit the target/ back of the net. The 2 in midfield pick up second balls, and feed to the 3 in front, with a poaching striker to pick up throughballs or rebounds.

I've started two games (one as Derby and one as Nott Forest) and tried to use this tactic with no success, and have spent the last two days playing around with 442's, 451's and others to try and get a run together, but both games im down in the relegation zones facing the sack.

Reading here it seems I cant play the game the way I used to...so how should I be playing it? What should I be looking out for/ fiddling with/ bribing to take two mid table teams and keep them in mid table???

The right way is to not use plug n play, is to watch the game and to change things accordingly to whats happening in the field, so there's no right way, only the way you see fit

P.S. well done for not just mindlessly complaining and actually looking for help :)

Most definitely agreed. Kudos, OP, for realising it might be your fault rather than just blaming the game mindlessly.

You need make sure you have the correct players. Do Derby and Forest have a poaching striker, and two midfielders capable of picking up those second balls? Also, with a slow, possession tactic, do they have good enough technical ability to cope with ball retention?

You also need to think about A. Adapting your tactics to fit your opposition, as it can yield better results than a 'one size fits all' tactic, and B. What exactly you hope to achieve with these tactics. So you want a slow, possession-based game with one poacher and someone playing 'off' him to feed him balls, preferentially in a 4-2-3-1. If I were you, I'd set my team out thus:

GK: GK
LB: FB Attack (To create width as your LW moves inside. You can swap this round to the right side if necessary.)
CBs: However you want. I don't use stopper/cover but you might.
RB: FB Support/Automatic
DMCL: DM Defend
DMCR: DM Support (or perhaps DLP Support. Depends on the type of player, energetic for the first role or technical for the second. Given your attempted ball-retention plan, the latter might be more effective.)
RW: Winger Support/Attack (Depends on how you want him to play. If you have a weak RB or are going to be put under pressure, choose support.)
AM: AM Attack (You want him in close support of your poacher, running different angles and looking to slot it through to him. He's definitely a "second striker".)
LW: IF Attack (So that he moves inside and your attacking LB offers width. This IF offers another point of attack. Again, though, the role can easily be switched to the right flank if you have a RB/RWer more suited to it.
ST: Poacher Attack (you want him always on the shoulder, not linking play, goal-oriented. Someone quick, clinical, but most of all check his PPMs and make sure he doesn't dwell on ball or come deep to link play or anything like that.)

Tell you what, screenshot or just post your team and put it here, and we'll take a look at it OP.

Guide to Football Manager | FM 2013 Guide

read through the tactics and match day stuff on this guide along with any help from this site you get. really helped me get used to the idea you have to take the time from match to match to get the best out of the game

It's nice to see a constructive thread, makes a change at the moment on here with so many complaining that the issue is with the game and not themselves. The big thing to consider for fm 2013 is utilising the 3 tactics you can have. Look at the players you have and then look at what kind of formation would best suit them. A good pointer is that when you start a new game, upon meeting with your staff, you get given recommendation of formations that best suit your squad. From here I look at which 1 I would prefer as my main formation and how to tinker it to my own style of play (counter, balanced, attacking, etc.). For the other 2 tactics I look at alternative styles to my main tactic. If your main tactic is an attacking tactic (4-2-3-1) , then look at a defence tactic (5-4-1) for games when your playing against much stronger opposition. Along with this I take into consideration that I want atleast 1 tactic that allows me to play a wider formation and 1 tactic that allows me to play a narrower formation.

Back