Society today: A sorry place

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 1K

Raikan007

Reaction score
426031_3356990362519_1201788636_3542808_1500753098_n.jpg

A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that 1,100 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace, and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping, and continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

That's clever by the newspaper. It wouldnt have hurt to appreciate someone who played such a piece of music - famous or not. Saying that I probably wouldn't have waited around to the end, although I do make the effort to give them some change.

That's clever by the newspaper. It wouldnt have hurt to appreciate someone who played such a piece of music - famous or not. Saying that I probably wouldn't have waited around to the end, although I do make the effort to give them some change.

I love music, especially classical music! of course I would not have waited 45 minutes or even knew who he was but I would have found some coffee, a nice place to sit/stand and listen as I appreciate things like that! Even hawkers/ Uk call them buskers or something in SA I always give them cash and stay a while and listen!

They should arrange something like that in some European countries though, I think they will get much better results ;)

I'm pretty sure a Metro station is the American version of the tube? I'm going on that assumption because of the game "Metro Station" (; ..In which case, I can fully understand why nobody stayed to watch.. Have you seen how retarded people are at those places? There's a train every two minutes but they would rather kill themselves/ someone else than have to wait for the next train to come along.

Also, put Beyonce in a busy metro station and see how many people stop, ;), just sayin'.

EDIT: Also, the title disgusts me.. I was expecting it to be something much more dramatic than "Normal people don't listen to niche musician."

Last edited:
stop moaning Andy, maybe a tad OTT but overall society today is a sorry place!

I admit I do the same thing in my town. There are being playing instruments on the main road (violins, harps) but I just walk by. It sounds good but I wouldn't be distraught if it wasn't there either.

Might sound a bit harsh but I’d have walked on past too. I refuse to pay money to anyone playing on the street, get a real job and contribute to society and stop being a lazy ***! There is a reason why we pay to watch musicians in set locations and times. I’m sure most enjoyed it but I’d rather get to work on time

Do you really expect to get noticed, in a tube station, where people are using the service, to get to a place quickly. Not to stop and stare. Sometimes I'd stop and stare for a min at a busker, although there was one awesome dude who I had to give money to who played instruments with puppets, and played Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I don't see how the fact that in a rush you ignore someone, means society is a sorry place, just means people don't have time, or find the violin **** boring, like me!

I would walk past too, dont like that sort of music

stop moaning Andy, maybe a tad OTT but overall society today is a sorry place!

Oh, so everyone else moans and you like their comment.. I "moan" and you have a go at me? Typical. (;

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend.

Might sound a bit harsh but I’d have walked on past too. I refuse to pay money to anyone playing on the street, get a real job and contribute to society and stop being a lazy ***! There is a reason why we pay to watch musicians in set locations and times. I’m sure most enjoyed it but I’d rather get to work on time

I agree on part, but some street musicians don't have a place to live, making getting a job near impossible.

EDIT: Some of you should look up Danny Small, blues busker in NY.

Last edited:
$43 per hour isn't exactly minimum wage.

People at the Metro are all travelling, most will either have their MP3 for their own music or don't have time to spare to stop and listen in the rush to get to work/school/whatever. I'm sure if he went to a place where street performers are more plentiful, there would be more appreciation for the music where people do have time to stop, listen and pay.

I probably would have appreciated the music, but wouldn't have had time in the tube to stop and listen. I think people always appreciate the beauty they see in the world, there's just not always the time to stay and admire it. One the final paragraphs says it all, "an inconvenient time", is it not in the definition of the word inconvenient that people don't have the time to spare to stay?

Sad but true. if he was performing at a park or something, then it would be much different.

Back