Sorry but the ME is broke. The game is basically unplayable at points

• Thread starter Thread starter sefiruso
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3K

sefiruso

Reaction score
For me the game is broke the ME just isn't realistic.

On my current save i started well with a home and away 4-2-2-2 attacking formation with Bale and Silva playing out wide with Aguero and Tevez up top won all my pre season friendlies beat Chelsea 4-0 in the CS 3-1 at home in the PL narrowly edged Southampton at home then out of nowhere i lose 4-0 to Sunderland 4-1 to Swansea and draw 1-1 with Reading.

So i think ok I'll switch my tactic to something else so i try a 2-3-2-2-1 ok it looks weird it's bascially two CB's a DM and two wing backs it's not as gung ho as it seems i beat United 6-1 and win 5 or 6 games running Barcelona 2-1 in the CL Spurs 2-1 Arsenal 4-2 lose 3-2 to Liverpool at Anfield but it was a good game.

BOOM 0-0 with Everton again not that bad then i go 10 games only scoring once only winning once a few more 0-0 draws and the rest 1-0 losses my matches last under 60 secs as there's no highlights at all apart from the opposition scoring and me passing it around for 10 seconds before i lose the ball!!!

This is Manchester City scoring one goal in 10 games that's not right you'd struggle to try and be that bad at the game. Aguero got four against United then scored once in the next 12 games. Yes i change my match prep yes i scout the opposition.

It's happened in all my games so far you find a set of tactics that work for 5-7 games then they suddenly stop working for no reason. You go from top of the table to 4th-6th with no players avging over 7:00 it's a total joke. Again I've played CM/FM since the early 2000's and even Player Manager before that ;) The game is broke so far.

I can only think there's some scripting loop to play 10 games all ending 1-0 or 0-0 barely no highlights is a joke. Funny thing is instead of starting over again i went back to a previous save just before this 10 game losing streak and that game has gone back to normal. Great games great highlights and fun to watch and play.

I can deal with the little annoying bugs like Joe Hart kicking it to anyone but my players defenders not reacting at all when the ball is next to them i can deal with this but the whole ME seems to break at certain points and it can't recover.

I'm a Manchester City fan i know these games are not a challenge i set myself other challenges but they feel like a mid table team at points for no reason at all.

I feel your pain. 18 points in 18 matches in the lower leagues.

I have been experimenting with the defenders player instructions and i suspect they are set by default to Man Marking, when i change their individual player defending settings to Zonal they start to behave as expected.

In previous versions i never went deep in player instructions editing and therefore i am not an expert but i will be looking into this thoroughly from now on.

I've gone Zonal I've also tried using tactics from this sie that people swear by tactics that worked on FM12 and the main tactic for FM 13 nothing works for long.

It seems my game hits a wall and it just can't get past it so i have to restart. I'm battling on tho with this save going to continue monitoring games, stats and highlights. My first few games i didn't go that much into the match prep etc so attacking movement when playing weaker teams to avoid 0-0 draws away from home that seemed to work for awhile last night but to me it seems everytime i master a tactic it then stops working, while tactics i havn't mastered work just fine until my teams learns every aspect.

it may well be the case that i have to rotate four tactics in a season to avoid hitting this wall, hopefully a patch will be out soon, i shouldn't be battling away like a mid table team for no reason everytime i master a tactic.

Hey Raikan I've downloaded your tactic for tonight to rotate with my total football tactic :) see if i can avoid getting into these ruts. I'm not giving up i really don't want to have to relay on FIFA for my footballing fix seeing as that's even more broke than FM ;)

Hey Raikan I've downloaded your tactic for tonight to rotate with my total football tactic :) see if i can avoid getting into these ruts. I'm not giving up i really don't want to have to relay on FIFA for my footballing fix seeing as that's even more broke than FM ;)

hahha :) me neither mate.. it will be ok when the patch is released, I can assure you.. however, only after the 3rd patch is the game pretty much 100% playable..

I am busy with a newer updated version for Fm13 of the Might & Magic.. its doing really well and playing some lovely football without conceding many goals at all and not lost a game in over 12 games so far with Juve..

its still a work in progress as is the one uploaded, but let me know if you keen to try it out..

I will upload them both once I have finished with this one.. it works quite well away from home!

On my current save i started well with a home and away 4-2-2-2 attacking formation with Bale and Silva playing out wide with Aguero and Tevez up top won all my pre season friendlies beat Chelsea 4-0 in the CS 3-1 at home in the PL narrowly edged Southampton at home then out of nowhere i lose 4-0 to Sunderland 4-1 to Swansea and draw 1-1 with Reading.

So i think ok I'll switch my tactic to something else so i try a 2-3-2-2-1 ok it looks weird it's bascially two CB's a DM and two wing backs it's not as gung ho as it seems i beat United 6-1 and win 5 or 6 games running Barcelona 2-1 in the CL Spurs 2-1 Arsenal 4-2 lose 3-2 to Liverpool at Anfield but it was a good game.

BOOM 0-0 with Everton again not that bad then i go 10 games only scoring once only winning once a few more 0-0 draws and the rest 1-0 losses my matches last under 60 secs as there's no highlights at all apart from the opposition scoring and me passing it around for 10 seconds before i lose the ball!!!

This is Manchester City scoring one goal in 10 games that's not right you'd struggle to try and be that bad at the game. Aguero got four against United then scored once in the next 12 games. Yes i change my match prep yes i scout the opposition.

It's happened in all my games so far you find a set of tactics that work for 5-7 games then they suddenly stop working for no reason. You go from top of the table to 4th-6th with no players avging over 7:00 it's a total joke. Again I've played CM/FM since the early 2000's and even Player Manager before that ;) The game is broke so far.

I can only think there's some scripting loop to play 10 games all ending 1-0 or 0-0 barely no highlights is a joke. Funny thing is instead of starting over again i went back to a previous save just before this 10 game losing streak and that game has gone back to normal. Great games great highlights and fun to watch and play.

I can deal with the little annoying bugs like Joe Hart kicking it to anyone but my players defenders not reacting at all when the ball is next to them i can deal with this but the whole ME seems to break at certain points and it can't recover.

I'm a Manchester City fan i know these games are not a challenge i set myself other challenges but they feel like a mid table team at points for no reason at all.

The ME has a number of flaws, but if you cannot win at all with Manchester City, chances are you are doing something pretty wrong. This isnt FM12, the AI is no longer a walkover. You cant just assemble a strong team, get any semi decent attack and win. If the AI's logic is better than yours, you will lose more often than not.

That is pretty gung ho, you have left you flanks totally open to the counter. Someone else was using the same approach and getting shredded, and blaming the ME, until it was pointed out that he was inviting a plamaker/wide forward combo to tear him apart between the CB and FB, and then cut inside on goal.

There is no loop.

The issue is, some of your issues maybe ME, some not. But once you make the assumption, without going into detail, then you have immediately trapped yourself.

The highlights themselves have no relevance, on key it only pretty much shows goals, so if you want to see more of the game if you need to pick extended or comprehensive. I would never watch any game on key if you are struggling, there is not way for you to spot any errors, ME or tactical. Comprehensive really, or even real time for the first 15 minutes.

Last edited:
The ME has a number of flaws, but if you cannot win at all with Manchester City, chances are you are doing something pretty wrong. This isnt FM12, the AI is no longer a walkover.

That is pretty gung ho, you have left you flanks totally open to the counter. Someone else was using the same approach and getting shredded, and blaming the ME, until it was pointed out that he was inviting a plamaker/wide forward combo to tear him apart between the CB and FB, and then cut inside on goal.

There is no loop.

The issue is, some of your issues maybe ME, some not. But once you make the assumption, without going into detail, then you have immediate trapped yourself.

The highlights themselves have no relevance, on key it only pretty much shows goals, so if you want to see more of the game if you need to pick extended or comprehensive.

You're missing the fact that the tactics are working for 5-7 games then just failing.

The 2-3-2-2-1 actually doesn't concede at all my problem was drawing 0r losing 10 games running 0-0 or 1-0 that isn't right.

Exactly City shouldn't be losing or drawing 10 games running while only scoring once. The fact these same tactics can beat Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester United and Spurs with ease yet once mastered fail points directly at a flaw in the game.

If this was me using City and just being useless i'd look deeper into my approach and what I'm doing, Yet I've used Goals Galore as well to no avail the problem is it plays really well then it suddenly no longer works at all.

I have extended highlights on again my games went from being 5 mins long to being over in under 60 seconds again that's the game not me.

I really really wish it was me doing something wrong i could handle that what i can't handle is playing really good football beating United 6-1 Arsenal 4-2 Spurs 2-1 Barcelona 2-1 then going on a 10 games run or drawing 0-0 with Stoke Losing 1-0 to Newcastle drawing 0-0 with WBA losing 1-0 to Fulham Drawing 1-1 with Reading Losing 1-0 to Stoke FA Cup reply.

Can you exaplain to me why a goal scoring tactic suddenly fails to score more than one goal in 10 games from being top of the table to falling to 6th with now every single player avging below 7:00 because i can't.

I appreciate the respsonse btw :)

You're missing the fact that the tactics are working for 5-7 games then just failing.

The 2-3-2-2-1 actually doesn't concede at all my problem was drawing 0r losing 10 games running 0-0 or 1-0 that isn't right.

Exactly City shouldn't be losing or drawing 10 games running while only scoring once. The fact these same tactics can beat Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester United and Spurs with ease yet once mastered fail points directly at a flaw in the game.

If this was me using City and just being useless i'd look deeper into my approach and what I'm doing, Yet I've used Goals Galore as well to no avail the problem is it plays really well then it suddenly no longer works at all.

I have extended highlights on again my games went from being 5 mins long to being over in under 60 seconds again that's the game not me.

I really really wish it was me doing something wrong i could handle that what i can't handle is playing really good football beating United 6-1 Arsenal 4-2 Spurs 2-1 Barcelona 2-1 then going on a 10 games run or drawing 0-0 with Stoke Losing 1-0 to Newcastle drawing 0-0 with WBA losing 1-0 to Fulham Drawing 1-1 with Reading Losing 1-0 to Stoke FA Cup reply.

Can you exaplain to me why a goal scoring tactic suddenly fails to score more than one goal in 10 games from being top of the table to falling to 6th with now every single player avging below 7:00 because i can't.

I appreciate the respsonse btw :)

really really wish it was me doing something wrong i could handle that what i can't handle is playing really good football beating United 6-1 Arsenal 4-2 Spurs 2-1 Barcelona 2-1 then going on a 10 games run or drawing 0-0 with Stoke Losing 1-0 to Newcastle drawing 0-0 with WBA losing 1-0 to Fulham Drawing 1-1 with Reading Losing 1-0 to Stoke FA Cup reply.

I have to go out for lunch, but this gives a good indication, look at all the sides you beat: They are all top sides who come out to play, they leave you space, and you have ruthlessly exploited it :)

The rest are teams who will set up tightly and beat you usually on the counter.

This shows (without looking at your tactic detials, i'd need more), that you have very good direct attack ability, but you struggle to break down compact teams, who then spring you on the counter.

Now there are certainly a number of ME flaws that dont help you in that case, but you also need to vary your approach. create space against these sides: for example, use control (probing while wary of the counter) drop deeper to draw them out, use killer passes to then attack that space etc. you need to be thinking every game about the strengths and weaknesses each time, you sound like you are very good at one type of attack, and not so at the other. But there are certainly a few ME points that wont help against breaking these sides down.

I will get back to you later this afternoon.

And for the record, im not saying its all on you, but that you should never commit to one assumption straight away

The issue with the current ME is that it makes it hard for the user to tell what is an ME bug/flaw/issue and what is somthing he/she need to change/tweak tactically or player wise.

Last edited:
I have to go out for lunch, but this gives a good indication, look at all the sides you beat: They are all top sides who come out to play, they leave you space, and you have ruthlessly exploited it :)

The rest are teams who will set up tightly and beat you usually on the counter.

This shows (without looking at your tactic detials, i'd need more), that you have very good direct attack ability, but you struggle to break down compact teams, who then spring you on the counter.

Now there are certainly a number of ME flaws that dont help you in that case, but you also need to vary your approach. create space against these sides: for example, use control (probing while wary of the counter) drop deeper to draw them out, use killer passes to then attack that space etc. you need to be thinking every game about the strengths and weaknesses each time, you sound like you are very good at one type of attack, and not so at the other. But there are certainly a few ME points that wont help against breaking these sides down.

I will get back to you later this afternoon.

And for the record, im not saying its all on you, but that you should never commit to one assumption straight away

The issue with the current ME is that it makes it hard for the user to tell what is an ME bug/flaw/issue and what is somthing he/she need to change/tweak tactically or player wise.

You're spot on mate i did think that and that's what I'm working on for the smaller teams prep attacking movement and play a more controlled game.

This was just the example of this current save I've had two beta games go this way and another full game in which the save got corrupted somehow.

I am changing the styles of play i even have two scouts on my next opposition but the same still applies where i stop dominating the weaker teams at home for no apparrant reason. I'm in no doubt that i will and should lose games like this but 10 running i know smaller teams will set up tighter but smashing United 6-1 should mean i score more than once in 10 games against teams like Fulham and Sunderland surely.

Like i said I'm going to go home tonight and mix and match some tactics including Raikans and the Goals Galore tactic i used and modified lasts year.

It's a similar problem tbh tho my currant tactics also i didn't note above was beating the smaller more compact teams just fine i think i got 15 games in top of the table and apart from a blip getting stuffed away to Sunderland and Swansea i had no problems against any team be it United or West Ham etc.

I'm going to pluck away and yes suggestioning it's all down to the ME is abit narrow minded but really 10 games running last night scoring once with Manchester City is just not acceptable i had even just won Manager Of The Month ... fecking cursed me.

Ive had exactly he same with my universidad de chile save! im playing as the too now and finding it tough

Edit: Proof

View attachment 281658

23 shots and no go in? 6 shots and 2 go in? behave yourself SI

Last edited:
I'm going to scrub all memory off the past 5 versions of the game and actually go stupidly into depth about my team set up, try and expose weak players and change my approach for each and every team.

I still don't agree that a tactic that exposes and nullifies Manchester United at home fails to get a result to Reading at home but i might as well except this version of the game is harsh and ruthless.

snap!!!!!!

I wouldn't say that match engine is broken, I would say that 3d is very inaccurate. So it's hard to see whats really happening on the pitch, and due that it's much harder to create tactic that works.

I'm going to scrub all memory off the past 5 versions of the game and actually go stupidly into depth about my team set up, try and expose weak players and change my approach for each and every team.

I still don't agree that a tactic that exposes and nullifies Manchester United at home fails to get a result to Reading at home but i might as well except this version of the game is harsh and ruthless.

it should be a bit more fair and ironed out mate when the patch is released..

I fully agree with you that you should be beating these teams (not with the exact same tactic, but nearly the same) and you can go on a 10 game run only scoring 1 goal regardless of formation/tactics/opp etc..

its not realistic! I agree, it does need to be looked at at the sound of things!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...7554-fm13-bug-me-flaw-thread.html#post1623144

Back