Young Fan Wins Legal Battle with Club Over Shirt

Jamie92

Reaction score
I love this article. A 13 old lad bought a Reading shirt with Sigurdsson on the back a couple of month's before they sold him to Hoffenheim. His father went back to the shop to ask for a refund and Reading refused it, but then they took it to their county court and won! Refunded money back plus legal costs! Haha

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/38546/

some fan, taking your club to court :S just because the player left why should they get a refund ? the club never forced him to get the name on the back of the top.

some fan, taking your club to court :S just because the player left why should they get a refund ? the club never forced him to get the name on the back of the top.

It does say in the actual article that the only reason why they paid them off is because the hearing was all the way up in Middlesbrough and it would cost more getting there than paying the refund...kind of ruins the story a bit...:S

It does say in the actual article that the only reason why they paid them off is because the hearing was all the way up in Middlesbrough and it would cost more getting there than paying the refund...kind of ruins the story a bit...:S

It's the principal of that fan though, End of the day the club sell shirts without names and numbers and its a persons choice to get it on. It's like saying " I don't like that player anymore" get me a refund. It's only £72 but really what kind of fan are you that sues your club over a jersey. Personally I would rather have the shirt with the old players name as a reminder he was your favourite player and you had him on the back of the top.

I see readings point just paying because it would cost more for court fee's etc but now any idiot is just going to try take a club to court if they want a refund due to a player being sold XD

It's the principal of that fan though, End of the day the club sell shirts without names and numbers and its a persons choice to get it on. It's like saying " I don't like that player anymore" get me a refund. It's only £72 but really what kind of fan are you that sues your club over a jersey. Personally I would rather have the shirt with the old players name as a reminder he was your favourite player and you had him on the back of the top.

I see readings point just paying because it would cost more for court fee's etc but now any idiot is just going to try take a club to court if they want a refund due to a player being sold XD

True, when I was young I had Ian Harte on the back of my Leeds shirt and still wore it well after he left until it just wouldn't fit me anymore.

You say what kind of fan he is. I say what kind of club Reading is for refusing a refund in the first place.

I still always wear my Luque 20 Newcastle shirt :) Even though he was complete balls. :wub: Now, I should have had a refund for that!

I got the name on the back of my Wigan shirt with a relegation clause!

Personally If it was me going to sue them i'd try sue them for some of that £7mil transfer they got for him **** the shirt :D

I cant seem to find the article but there was a story about a kid that for christmas got a liverpool torres shirt and a carroll newcastle shirt, and well we all know how the January transfer market went, wonder whether he could do the same to both those clubs?

The shirts brought at your own risk of the player leaving. I've seen shirts at the Madejski with Sigurdsson on. I brought a shirt today with Armstrong on the back (having retired yesterday due to Multiple sclerosis). Having your shirt as Sigurdsson wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion, he's gonna be big.

We don't need his money.

Last edited:
Im going to get on the phone now. All may not be lost for my Shevchenko 7 shirt.....

I bought a Tottenham shirt with Barmby on the back, the day after, he left.

Might try this with my two Carroll shirts. :/

This wasn't actually won in court anyway. I think the person would be told to f*** off back into their burrow and stopping being scrounging little *****. If it went to court I think the actual club would win, Just on this case it would have cost more going to court than refunding.